Forum Search is Broken

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Forum Search is Broken

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous Aug 14-1:31 am.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tlaloc77
    tlaloc77

Don’t know where to put this – search via the magnifier symbol is 100% broken:
    While being in this very thread, I copied “kafeneio” with the mouse, clicked the magnifier symbol, pasted it in and sent it off. Result: Nothing.

So I don’t know whether this is already known because I cannot search for “search”.
    Even external search engines can’t find the combination of “antixforums kafeneio” with the exception of 1 hint on tapatalk.com:
    “Information: We have moved to https://www.antixforum.com – anticapitalista” at the top of a thread “antiX-forum > Kafeneio chats > In a Greek kafeneio>”

Could it be that there is a robots.txt that forbids search engines to scan the site? That together with the broken internal search is quite an unfortunate situation.

My inxi -zv7, inxi -Fxs and inxi -r are here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/a-proper-hellp/#post-2981

ile
    ile

Hello tlaloc77 and hello everyone
    The “magnifier” is site search. It does not search forums nor FAQ because they are different site. Magnifier searches antixlinux.site.
    What you did not say is if you have found the forum search. forum search is on page http://www.antixforum.com

you may notice the navigation bar in forum sometimes reads forum>forums>forum> , the forum search is not appear even on the /forums page nor any Topics page except just plain http://www.antixforum.com.

on the page where it exists it can be found to the right of Latest Activity, under the word Register, “Search Forums” [if the browser window is wide. If the browser window is narrowed, then the “Search Forums” goes to, under the word Register, At the bottom of the page.] No login is necessary to search the forums; that is nice.
    happy searching. Anything we can help find?

tlaloc77
    tlaloc77

Hello tlaloc77 and hello everyone
    The “magnifier” is site search. It does not search forums nor FAQ because they are different site. Magnifier searches antixlinux.site.

OK. Right now I see two magnifier symbols, none of them works. I wasn’t aware that they are not meant to work here.

What you did not say is if you have found the forum search. forum search is on page http://www.antixforum.com

Indeed I missed it. Just tested… and it works! 😀
    So the forum search is only visible of the “title page” / topmost page of the forum.
    Thank you very much, 2 or 3 things learned.

you may notice the navigation bar in forum sometimes reads forum>forums>forum> , the forum search is not appear even on the /forums page nor any Topics page except just plain http://www.antixforum.com.

I have to remember that.

happy searching. Anything we can help find?

Well, I was looking for info about screen brightness and the (FN)/Function-Buttons. Now that I know how to search the forums, I found my own thread and something unrelated about tray buttons.

Edit, the issue is solved, how can I mark the thread with “[solved]”?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by tlaloc77.

My inxi -zv7, inxi -Fxs and inxi -r are here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/a-proper-hellp/#post-2981

seaken64

Thank you for this. I have many times been frustrated trying to search this forum. I had to read this thread several times and go back and forth between screens. And I think there was some broken English. But I did learn how to search this forum thanks to your inquiry.

This might be a good sticky for the newbies. Don’t try to use the magnifier search icon. Use the search box on the opening page of the forum. Scroll down to find it below the Register button.

(It’s also weird that after you log in you are not brought to the opening page of the forum. You have to click on “Forum” near the top of the screen and then “Forum” again on the menu below the banner picture. This is the most convoluted forum software I’ve ever used. But I’m still here because I think antiX is great, even if the forum software is hard to use).

I am not a fan of this forum format. But I can adjust as long as I know what to do. It took me several months to find topics I had participated in. And I don’t think you’ll have much luck marking your thread solved unless you get to it within a day or two. Another forum quirk.

Seaken64

tlaloc77
    tlaloc77

This might be a good sticky for the newbies. Don’t try to use the magnifier search icon. Use the search box on the opening page of the forum. Scroll down to find it below the Register button.

+1 – someone should make a forum-Q&A…

It took me several months to find topics I had participated in.

The first thing I do after logging in here is: Go to my profile page, then click “Topics Started” to see whether something important happened…
    And one can find one’s own answers by clicking “Replies Created” as I just discovered.

And I don’t think you’ll have much luck marking your thread solved unless you get to it within a day or two. Another forum quirk.

Ah. That’s a major pity.

skidoo

Search is successful if you use the search box at right side of forum homepage

Anonymous

WordPress forums software is a kind of antiX spiritual brother/sister in web.
    Everything works but … nothing as you’d expect, or where you’d expect …

One could also easily hide unneeded, just like in antiX too …
    Simply add a class to the element and set it to invisible.

ile
    ile

Hello tlaloc77
    okay it is a matter of finding the forum search text box on the forum page, but the key to the whole thing is shown in screen capture in the post of skidoo in the address bar = the append onto/ addition of “/forums/search/ ” to the end. url =
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/search/

skidoo

this post is to explain how you can get an offline, searchable, copy of antixforum

https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/forumscrape-aug2019
    a snapshot set of static webpages, Aug 8 2019, from antixforum.com
    to enable offline viewing + searching the forum content

If you are not interested in searching the content, you can just retrieve and unpack the tar.gz file and view in browser
    forumscrape.tar.gz (5.6MB; FYI, expanded size of contents is 37MB)

The following instructions will enable you to create an indexed, searchable, recoll database on your local machine.

sudo apt install git
    cd ~/Documents
    git clone https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/forumscrape-aug2019
    mv forumscrape-aug2019 antixforum
    rm -Rf ~/Documents/antixforum/.git
    rm -Rf ~/Documents/antixforum/gitimg
    rm ~/Documents/antixforum/forumscrape.tar.gz
    sudo apt install recoll

At this point, you can browse the offline forum content. The main page will be is avialable at
    file:///~/Documents/antixforum/index.html

From terminal prompt, or via Alt+F2 runbox, launch the recoll program:
    recoll

and click “Indexing Configuration”

By default, recoll is preconfigured to index the entire contents of your home directory.
    Later, some other day, you might wish to do so… but for now, highlight “~” and click “minus” to deselect that default path.

Browse to, and select (Choose) the directory containing the set of forum offline files…

and click “OK”

then click “Start Indexing Now”
    You should expect the indexing operation will take 1-3 minutes to complete.

When you see this dialog, just click “OK”. (It displays a notification, not a warning)

As soon as the one-time indexing operation has completed, and each time you launch recoll,
    the main searach GUI window enables you to query and view the contents of the indexed offline forum pages.
    Getting started is simple, but you can//should read the recoll user documentation to discover its full portential.

For each matching search result, you can PREVIEW the page using recoll’s built-in document viewer
    or OPEN WITH web browser or OTHER
    (on my machine, “Open” opens the document in a text editor, probably not what you want)

This icon leads to the ADVANCED SEARCH dialog (shown in the bottom screenshot, below).
    While working with simple html pages, you will seldom (probably never) have need to visit this,
    just know that recoll is an extremely powerful search indexer, capable of parsing a wide range of documents.

skidoo

Today I noticed the site has gained an “Advanced Search” feature

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

An attempt to address the issue.
    I am not familiar with WordPress at all and find it irritating as nothing is where I expect it or how I expect things to function. Have searched for ~ 1 hour for the magnifying glass at the top menu bar to change it to the forum search, but I could not find it. So I stuck a search link in the forum drop down and added an advanced search page. Overall mulling it over for 2-3 hours and it is still less than satisfactory and probably not really much better.

Tried to get my head around how WordPress works for years and so far next to no success, everything seems to take forever to work out. I still prefer to just pop open an instance of geany and type a few lines…

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Anonymous

Hmmm … to paraphrase:

WordPress is like Linux. It works fine until you only read about it.

If you want search on another place — simply move it.

I agree on:

“I still prefer to just pop open an instance of geany and type a few lines …”

But … WP is not much different … if you know what you’re doing.

The problem usually starts with someone who wrote the theme.

It screwed it at the very first moment by using the wrong Bootstrap container size and continued with mixing px, %, em … 95+ % of all websites in web are broken.

I mean, just look at the result — that website is not even really full responsive, unless you’re getting yourself an 8K screen and scale it down to equivalent of 1366 x 768 Px.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.