Forum web page taking too much processing power

Forum Forums General Software Forum web page taking too much processing power

• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Aug 2-11:50 pm by oops.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I recall reading some comment about the forum taking up too much processing power- then I did not notice that problem, but now, on my single core computer, using the latest Firefox version, I noticed that each forum tab takes almost 50% of mu CPU power, and when writing a post, my CPU use is 100%. If I click an empty firefox tab, it drops to a normal value, around 6%, so this only happens when the forum tab has focus…

P.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Hi @PPC,
    I notice the same thing. On my weakest computers, I tend to use Palemoon as a browser because it uses less processing power than firefox-esr. Even with Palemoon, my CPU % power is sky high, about 100% on my weaker computers while browsing the antixforum.com website.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I think it is the WordPress google-translator plugin. If you disable javascript the problem goes away.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

andyprough
    Helpful
    Up

I think it is the WordPress google-translator plugin. If you disable javascript the problem goes away.

This looks accurate. If I use the noscript extension to disallow the antiX forum javascript, then CPU usage for the browser drops from 30%-70% down to just 1%-4%.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Useful info, thanks.
    enable java and the fans howl in anger :-). I always use no script so had not noticed the issue.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I concur, using NoScript allows the antiX forum to work better for me. Without it I cannot use it.

Seaken64

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Does anyone use the WordPress google-translator plugin?
    Maybe we should remove/disable it?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Actually, I’ll disable it (now) and see how it goes for a week or so.
    Let me know.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Does anyone use the WordPress google-translator plugin?
    Maybe we should remove/disable it?

I am dependent on the translation tools available in web browsers. These tools could come disabled by default and be activated by the user who needs the translation.

My question is this: if I disable the “WordPress google-translator plugin” will this help save antiX resources and be better than having two tabs open, one from the forum and one from a translation site?

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Eu sou dependente das ferramentas de tradução disponíveis nos navegadores de internet. Estas ferramentas poderiam vir desativados por padrão e serem ativados pelo usuário que precisa da tradução.

A minha dúvida é a seguinte: se desativar o “WordPress google-translator plugin” isso ajudará a poupar recursos do antiX e será melhor do que ter duas abas abertas, uma do fórum e outra de um sítio de tradução?

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@marcelocripe – thanks for the reply.
    I have disabled it for now. I’m not sure how to make it available for user to activate.

My question is this: if I disable the “WordPress google-translator plugin” will this help save antiX resources and be better than having two tabs open, one from the forum and one from a translation site?

Could you let me know if it is any better or not? Thanks.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

If I’m not mistaken, Marcelo, this is a feature of the WordPress site and you do not need it. You have other options, such as a browser extension.

Seaken64

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I think performance has improved. I am comparing with the mxforums and the CPU use seems the same on the front page for both. The difference is that when opening a thread inside the antiX forum the CPU use goes up an extra 33-50% compared to the front page (if front page is “12%”, a topic is “18-20%”).

I have tried to see with the browser’s web developer tools what could be the source (I am not very good with this tool) and I can see that a WordPress plugin named “Sticky anything” is what is giving more repeated calls compared to the other JS scripts. What does this plugin do? Is it part of the forum plugin or is it for the top/side menus? Can it be configured to call less often? If it is important, can it be replaced with something more efficient?

EDIT: The visual difference when enabling/disabling javascript is that the top menu horizontal bar sticks to the top of the window when scrolling, so this must be the sticky anything function.
    Could someone with a more limited CPU compare the performance now that google translator has been disabled? Do they still notice a big difference with and without javascript enabled? My machine does notices the difference though it isn’t that big. A more limited system that “suffered” with the previous configuration will be a better benchmark.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Xecure.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I am trying the antixforum.com site now using SeaMonkey from one from my Pentium-III systems. I am one of the users who has mentioned that the antixforum site would peg my CPU at 100% until I got NoScript installed. So, I am trying it now with NoScript off. It does seem to be better. It is still a little sluggish (but this is a P-III after all) but it is usable.

I’ll try also it on my Pentium-II in Otter.

Seaken64

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Ok, I fired up an older P-III and am in the forum now using the Otter Browser. I turned Javascript on and restarted. The CPU is over 90% but at least it is not stuck at 100%. I am able to open this thread and scroll to end and am now entering this message. Before, I would have to wait until the CPU finally recovered from being pegged at 100%.

So, it does seem to make a difference for me and these old CPUs.

Edit: I turned JavaScript off and restarted Otter. The CPU is now around 20% instead of over 90%. Everything is snappier (or at least as snappy as I can expect on a P-III). From what I can tell, Turning the WordPress feature off helps but turning JavaScript off in the browser works best.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by seaken64.
    Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, I can also confirm it does make a noticeable difference. The CPU load on a 32bit single core CPU with 1,7 GHz is still quite high without uBlock origin, but the antix site is usable now, even without blocked scripts. It is down at average 40% load now, with peaks at 60%, all from forum site, instead of constant 90% before. Still high, when comparing with wikipedia: They actually use about 3% maximum only, whatever you try to do there. But it is way better than before. Many thanks, @anticapitalista!

Just as a side note: I experienced a similar thing on transifex. This site also took 100% CPU load in editor mode, until I blocked explicitly the blue pulsing dot icon they have had used to draw attention to a new function they had implemented recently. This very icon produced incredible high CPU load. Not a script on this site. Only the icon was the culprit. Found that accidentally by hovering with the mouse over it, which made stop the pulsation and immediately CPU load dropped, and rised again when moving the mouse pointer away from it. (transifex crew is informed about it and have probably fixed it meanwhile.)
    But I didn’t see any similar cpu-consuming icon here on antiX site. Just wanted to point out these type of problems sometimes can source from a really unexpected reason.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.