Forum web page taking too much processing power

Forum Forums General Software Forum web page taking too much processing power

• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Aug 2-11:50 pm by oops.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

If you don’t “need” Javascript to view the content you are using, disabling it seems to improve performance of most browsers unless you are on powerful equipment; then it doesn’t make much difference and may not be worth the trouble.

For antique relics, Javascript, at least in its current form, wasn’t even around, so if you disable it you’ll have better results.

Brian Masinick

wildstar84
    Helpful
    Up

I run w/NoScript & Adblock+ & haven’t noticed any cpu issues (even w/antixforum “trusted” by NoScript (scripts not blocked), but I have noticed that this forum site is consistantly & significantly SLOWER loading than most sites I use (3-5″ instead of 1-2″) and am not sure why (slow servers maybe?). Blocking JS doesn’t seem to have much effect on loading speed either, and is needed for logging in, etc. but not viewing.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I am trying again from my P-III using the Otter-Browser. I have left the default settings, which has Scripts ON. I am able to browse around the antiX forum and scroll up and down with no issues. But the CPU is from 75% to over 90%. I find it usable. But one tab only. I will try again after turning Scripts OFF. I am replying to this thread from this Otter-Browser in antiX-19.4 32-bit.

Seaken64

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I am trying again with Otter-Browser, this time with Scripts OFF. The difference is dramatic. The CPU is about 11% and everything is snappier (as snappy as can be expected on a P-III). When I move around the forum the most the CPU is about 30% to 40%. I am very impressed with this browser on this P-III. At least with such sites as the antiX forum.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by seaken64.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by seaken64.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

For those who are missing the translation feature in this forum, and want to translate the website from inside firefox, there is a firefox extension that will help translate the website you are visiting without opening it in a new tab, using google translate (it looks very similar to one already in chromium).
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/traduzir-paginas-web/

You can also highlight a block of text and a small icon will appear to only translate that highlighted text, in case you don’t want to translate the whole page and only a few paragraphs.

It also claims it can work with the “No-script” plugin enabled, so you shouldn’t suffer too much when running any website on computers with limited resources.

I hope this will help those who need the translation function, at the same time it keeps the antiX forum site leaner and faster.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Xecure. Reason: extra information related to no-script

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Let me add kind of restrained warning about online translations in general:

I found google translator recently to reverse the original sense of a sentence to its opposite, by omitting some words or by replacing important keywords by plurivalent expressions while changing its context completely by arbitrary adding content not existing in original sentence. This seems to be caused by KI technology they use to »improve« the result. In many cases this works fine, but in 30 out of 600 translated sentences it was simply impossible to convince the online translator to create a sentence according to the original meaning, whatever I tried to reformulate the original.

So never trust what you get from automated translations like google translate & co.

The main problem is, that these translations sound really natural in the respective language, so nobody would ever guess they actually are blatantly wrong.

Examples: ›The woman, who has bought a shoe from him‹ was translated to the meaning ›He has bought a shoe from the woman.‹
    ›She did not expect this‹ was translated to the meaning ›It was what she had expected‹
    and ›it could happen possibly‹ was translated to ›it has happened already‹
    also ›he had done this before‹ was translated to the meaning ›he is going to do this‹

So, just be warned, and never trust in these google translations, in whatever perfect wording and sentence structure they come along in your language.

These are just my personal observations from the last weeks, and the results are depending heavily on the language pair in use. But 30 sentences out of 600 makes a rate of 5% severe, distorting mistranslations, well hidden within — apart from that — perfectly structured sentences…

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

( @Robin – Wow. That is crazy. Thank you for that information. )

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2018

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, it’s really annoying. Right in this very minute they translated for me the sentence
    ›…and he has been asked whether…‹
    to the meaning
    ›…and he asks whether…‹
    Seems as if they’ve never heard about passive mode and tenses in some translation sets or language pairs. It is extremely hard to find all these subtle changes of meaning in a translation to a language you don’t speak yourself to some degree at least… The more since the translated sentences look perfect in structure, grammar, and wording.
    If I need to speak the target language myself perfectly already to correct the output in order to get a reliable translation in the end, I don’t need a translation from them at all… Mixing up the original sense, that specific task I could manage very well all by myself. 🙂 No need of help for THAT.

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

If I need to speak the target language myself perfectly already to correct the output in order to get a reliable translation in the end, I don’t need a translation from them at all… Mixing up the original sense, that specific task I could manage very well all by myself. 🙂 No need of help for THAT.

hahaha – exactly right!

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2018

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

So, just be warned, and never trust in these google translations, in whatever perfect wording and sentence structure they come along in your language.

Thank you very much for bringing up this extremely important subject. It is about communication between people who cannot read or write in the same language.

Now everyone on this forum can better understand why I always need to include my original Brazilian Portuguese text. Should any misunderstanding occur, a person who is bilingual will be able to clear up the misunderstanding caused by the automatic translations of the Internet translators.

An example of the translator including words that I had not originally written occurred in this very topic in the translation of my sentence: “se desativar o …”, at no time did I include the first person singular straight personal pronoun “I”. Since I did not include the pronoun in the sentence, in Brazilian Portuguese, it is understood that there is no subject in the sentence and it could be anyone, not necessarily my person. As the translator included the letter “I” in the translated sentence “if I disable”, people are led to believe that the question was personal and was not meant to be. My intention was to write collectively, as I am not the only one on this forum who relies on translators to try to communicate with people. Maybe I should have written “if any anyone deactivate …” , but not if it would be understandable in other languages.

Any misunderstanding in the automatic translations, I ask you to disregard and if possible let me know by private message. This has happened before in other threads and what I did was to register my apologies.

What we do here, every day is: overcome the differences, overcome the difficulties, overcome the individual limitations in the ability to communicate, and, finally, a human being helping another human being through the sharing of knowledge. I cherish and value this very much.

My sincere thanks for all who share the knowledge.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Muito obrigado por trazer a tona este assunto extremamente importante. Trata-se da comunicação entre as pessoas que não sabem ler ou escrever em um mesmo idioma.

Agora todas as pessoas neste fórum podem compreender melhor o motivo pelo qual eu sempre preciso incluir o meu texto original em idioma Português do Brasil. Ocorrendo qualquer mal entendido, uma pessoa que seja bilíngue poderá esclarecer o mal entendido causado pelas traduções automáticas dos tradutores da internet.

Um exemplo de que o tradutor incluiu palavras que eu não havia escrito originalmente, ocorreu neste mesmo tópico na tradução da minha frase: “se desativar o …”, em nenhum momento eu incluí o pronome pessoal do caso reto da primeira pessoa do singular “eu”. Como eu não incluí o pronome na frase, em Português do Brasil, compreende-se que não há o sujeito na frase e pode ser qualquer pessoa, não necessariamente a minha pessoa. Como o tradutor incluiu a letra “I” na frase traduzida “if I disable”, as pessoas são levadas a acreditar que a pergunta foi pessoal e não era para ser. A minha intenção era escrever de forma coletiva, pois eu não sou o único neste fórum que depende dos tradutores para tentar me comunicar com as pessoas. Talvez eu devesse ter escrito “se qualquer pessoa desativar …”, mas não se se iria ficar compreensível em outros idiomas.

Qualquer mal entendido nas traduções automáticas, eu peço que desconsiderem e se for possível me avisem por mensagem particular. Isso já aconteceu antes em outros tópicos e o que eu fiz foi registrar os meus pedidos de desculpas.

O que fazemos aqui, todos os dias é: superar as diferenças, superar as dificuldades, superar as limitações individuais na capacidade de comunicação e por fim um ser humano ajudar o outro ser humano através do compartilhamento do conhecimento. Eu prezo e valorizo muito isso.

Meus sinceros agradecimentos por todos que compartilham o conhecimento.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

It is not unusual for those of us who write and speak the same language, in my case American English, to not understand one another. Especially when writing. There is no substitute for in-person communication. Many times in writing we miss the meaning because there is no inflection or the local idiom has a subtle meaning not immediately understood in the language.

It’s a good idea to remind your audience that your text is a translation. Anything not understood can be clarified through further attempts using alternative examples. Most of us who have been on internet forums for years understand that sometimes what is written is not what was intended. In general I think we all do a pretty good job communicating even though we sometimes are relying on translators.

Seaken64

oops
    Helpful
    Up

If you don’t “need” Javascript to view the content you are using, disabling it seems to improve performance of most browsers unless you are on powerful equipment; then it doesn’t make much difference and may not be worth the trouble.

For antique relics, Javascript, at least in its current form, wasn’t even around, so if you disable it you’ll have better results.

Yes javascript is the culprit, I have this issue with my single core eepc too (into the MX forum and antiX forum) … on my amd64 machine (4 cores) I do not have this issue (surfing with Palemoon here).

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.