Free Cloud Service for file Sharing

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Free Cloud Service for file Sharing

• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Feb 21-6:34 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    marcelocripemarcelocripe

Translated title: Free Cloud Service for File Sharing

Hello dear colleagues,

I am looking for a cloud service to share compressed “.zip” files containing the community scripts “.sh”, the shortcut icon “.desktop” and a text file “.txt” explaining how to use it, as I mentioned in the topic https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-community-scripts/.

I plan to share these files on a cloud file sharing service that works similar to Google Drive or OneDrive. The cloud service would need to be simple, allowing anyone with the compartment link to download without having to register with that compartment service or that if there are no frequent transfers, these files will not be deleted. Do we have any options similar to Google or OneDrive?

My intention is to be able to share compressed files from various solutions created by the antiX community that do not enter the official ISO, but that can be useful for many people.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Título original: Serviço Gratuito de Nuvem para Compartilhamento de Arquivos

Olá caros colegas,

Eu estou procurando um serviço de nuvem para compartilhar arquivos compactados “.zip” contendo o scripts da comunidade “.sh”, o ícone de atalho “.desktop” e um arquivo de texto “.txt” explicando como utilizar, conforme mencionei no tópico https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-community-scripts/.

Eu pretendo compartilhar estes arquivos em um serviço de compartilhamento de arquivos de nuvem que que funcione semelhante ao Google Drive ou OneDrive. O serviço de nuvem precisaria ser simples permitindo qualquer pessoa que tenha o link de compartimento poder baixar sem ter que fazer um cadastro no referido serviço de compartimento ou que se não houver transferências frequentes, que estes arquivos não sejam apagados. Temos alguma opção semelhante ao Google ou ao OneDrive?

A minha intenção é poder compartilhar arquivos compactados de várias soluções criadas pela comunidade antiX que não entram na ISO oficial, mas que podem ser úteis para muitas pessoas.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

andyproughandyprough

The Internet Archive will let you sign up for a free account and post your software for download by anyone. Doesn’t seem to have a limit on uploads. https://archive.org/index.php

Mega works well for downloading large files quickly and does not require that the downloader have an account. Gives you about 15GB of free storage. https://mega.io/

skidooskidoo

In another recent topic in which you (marcelocripe) were a participant, I explained the ease of setting up a gitlab.com account. Via web browser, you can upload (including zipfiles) to your project repository there.

marcelocripemarcelocripe

andyprough,

I appreciate your suggestions. I didn’t know https://archive.org, you could tell me if it deletes files that are not downloaded.

Mega causes difficulties for the user to download files after a certain amount of downloads.

skidoo,

At gitlab.com, I created an account, but I found it very difficult to use this service.

A colleague from the MX Linux BR Telegram group (unofficial) referred me to some services, Zippyshare (which erases files that are not downloaded) and MediaFire (for the time being I was unable to confirm whether to delete files that are not downloaded) , both services are very easy to use.

I appreciate your suggestions.

marcelocripe

———-

andyprough,

Eu agradeço por suas sugestões. Eu não conhecia o https://archive.org, você saberia me informar se ele apaga os arquivos que não são feitos downloads.

O Mega, causa dificuldades para o usuário baixar arquivos após uma certa quantidade de downloads.

skidoo,

O gitlab.com, eu criei uma conta, mas achei muito difícil de utilizar este serviço.

Um colega do grupo de Telegram do MX Linux BR (não oficial) me indicou alguns serviços, o Zippyshare (que apaga arquivos que não são feitos downloads) e o MediaFire (por enquanto eu não consegui confirmar se apaga arquivos que não são feitos downloads), ambos os serviços são muitos fáceis de utilizar.

Eu agradeço por suas sugestões.

marcelocripe

andyproughandyprough

Hi Marcelo,
    Internet archive does not seem to delete files.

I agree with skidoo that learning gitlab would be the best solution.

rayluorayluo

The Internet Archive will let you sign up for a free account and post your software for download by anyone. Doesn’t seem to have a limit on uploads. https://archive.org/index.php

Thanks, Andy, for mentioning this site. I did not know that. Seems quite interesting. I wonder how reliable this would be, from a financial and legal perspective, given that it hosts quite some – hmm – unusual content.

Back to the original topic. If the goal of “looking for a cloud service” is “to share compressed .zip files containing the community scripts .sh, the shortcut icon .desktop and a text file .txt explaining how to use it”, all those are essentially programs, so, a git-based program hosting website would be the best fit: github, gitlab, bitbucket, etc.. The source code of antiX seems to already be hosted on gitlab, by the way.

However, the intrinsic learning curve of the git, is definitely much more complicated than a “file-sharing” website. That is probably why @marceloripe “found it very difficult to use this service”.

One of the middle ground I can see, is to create new “issues” in the corresponding antiX repos, and to hope the repo maintainers (@anticapitalista ?) would notice it and merge it. PS: @anticapitalista , let’s unite antiX contributors on gitlab, so that it would become easier to contribute. That should make antiX more sustainable in the long run. My $0.02

skidooskidoo

let’s unite antiX contributors on gitlab

Already created a collaborative space, but each collaborator should also have their own personal account and personal copies of whichever projects they are contributing to https://gitlab.com/users/antix-contribs/projects

“found it very difficult to use this service”

Unless the gitlab web interface is English-only… I call bullloney.

create account, they send an activation email.
    When you login, your dashboard page is displayed, e.g. gitlab.com/skidoo

Click “new project” (can choose blank project) and specify a name, e.g. “mytest”.
    The top-level project page is displayed, e.g gitlab.com/skidoo/mytest

At that point, you are able to create new text files, copy/pasting content from your (local) clipboard if that’s the way you roll… click “Save”, optionally jot a note describing the change(s) to the document, and the URL of the newly-created doc is ready to share.
    Click “upload” and browse to select a file or files, click OK. Immediately after uploading, on your “mytest” project page you’ll see links to the newly-uploaded files. Right click, copy a url… and post as a link wherever you care to share//advertise. Alternatively, just share the link to the project’s top-level page and

and interested parties can either visit in web browser, or on their local machine, perform “git clone https://gitlab.com/skidoo/mytest” to download the entire content of the project.

the intrinsic learning curve of the git, is definitely much more complicated than a “file-sharing” website

sounds like you don’t realize how much git functionality is available “right from within a web browser”.

Yes, extra steps are involved (and MUCH extra functionality) if you “apt install git” and maintain local project repositories ~~ editing locally then pushing changes to remote repositories. However, the choice to do so is optional; the gitlab (or gitea, or github) web UI provides nearly everything a casual/moderate contributor would need.

andyproughandyprough

“found it very difficult to use this service”

Unless the gitlab web interface is English-only… I call bullshit.

I see no reason to call anyone a liar because they don’t like dealing with gitlab. I much prefer the Github interface myself.

skidooskidoo

> I see no reason to call anyone a liar because they don’t like dealing with gitlab.

and I see no reason to presume skidoo is calling anyone a “liar”.

whiney complainer, exaggerator… if the shoe fits, it fits.

Please calm down
    Ballony, is an american term for nonsense. An opinion not an insult.
    Probably descended from Irish Blarny, or Blarney.

Having had dealings with gitlab, (again this morning) it is I agree, at first somewhat difficult to
    understand, but extremely powerful featurewise.

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

Here is a quick list I have kept with my local repositories.

git clone REPOSITORY (clones repository to local machine)
    git status (Shows changed files)
    git add FILE (adds the altered file to the commit, files found via git status)
    git commit -m "COMMIT COMMENT" (makes a commit with a comment)
    git checkout BRANCH (changes between branches)
    git remote add NAME REPOSITORY (adds another branch/stream option for syncing to / from)
    git remote -v (shows available branches/streams)
    git fetch BRANCH/STREAM (fetches files / changes from specified branch/stream)
    git pull (pulls files for current branch / stream / repo from remote copy to local copy)
    git merge BRANCH/STREAM (merges specified branch/stream to current branch / stream set by checkout )
    git show (shows the changes current uncommitted changes or the last committed)

There are also git GUIs available for git within the repositories. (Example: git-cola, giggle, etc; https://git-scm.com/download/gui/linux)

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

marcelocripemarcelocripe

@rayluo, I thank you for your considerations and suggestions. I need to test Bitbucket.

GitHub, that service, I didn’t know until last week when mr. Alessandro from PCLinuxOS BR had commented that since 2018 he has been with Microsoft Corporation. This is something to pay close attention to … The Linux communities feeding this company’s servers with open source, so it’s too easy …

However, the intrinsic learning curve of the git, is definitely much more complicated than a “file-sharing” website. That is probably why @marceloripe “found it very difficult to use this service”.

On 14-11-2020 I saw how difficult it is to manage the files on Gitlab, it was even difficult to make the pt-BR translations available for Xecure of your antix-wifi-switch program. After being lost for a long time, for not being able to create a folder, I created a project and sent locale_pt_BR_LC_MESSAGES_antix-wifi-switch_14-11-2020.po and the antix-wifi-switch.desktop.

@skidoo, I thank you for your tutorial, it was of great help, I managed to create it easier https://gitlab.com/collaborations-marcelocripe/antix-wifi-switch, now all we need to do is learn to move the content from /antix to /antix-wifi-switch. An action that should be simple seems not to be visible. With great difficulty I managed to create this https://gitlab.com/collaborations-marcelocripe/antix, today I managed to edit the name of the project to https://gitlab.com/collaborations-marcelocripe/antix-wifi-switch.

sounds like you don’t realize how much git functionality is available “right from within a web browser”.

Gitlab may have great potential, but without knowing how to use its potential it is the same as having nothing.

Does each project amount to a folder?

My goal is to organize the compressed files in their respective folders. Make the folder URL available and the interested person can find the compressed file and a text file explaining what to do with the compressed file.

I think of people who may want to use the compressed files that I am preparing, certainly Gitlab is not the best service for a person to be able to copy the URL paste in the internet browser and click on the “Download” button.

The internet browser can translate almost all Gitlab texts from English to Portuguese, but the difficulty is to understand how to manage resources.

As for the word “bullloney” there is no translation into Portuguese. Separating the word “bull loney”, “bull” refers to a bovine animal and “loney” has not been translated.

Dear colleagues, I hope I don’t generate any disagreements … My difficulty in not knowing how to speak and write in English is enough. (Thanks, ModdIt for intervening)

@andyprough, yesterday I got a glimpse of the amount of content on the Internet archive site and I’m going to test it today. I will compare between the Internet archive and MediaFire which is easier for a person to download the files.

Soon I will return after testing the Internet archive.

Thanks

marcelocripe

———-

@rayluo, eu agradeço por suas considerações e sugestões. Eu preciso testar o Bitbucket.

Já GitHub, esse serviço, eu não sabia até a semana passada quando o sr. Alessandro do PCLinuxOS BR havia comentado que desde 2018 é da Microsoft Corporation. Isso é algo para prestar muita atenção … As comunidades Linux alimentando os servidores desta empresa com códigos abertos, assim fica fácil demais …

No dia 14-11-2020 eu vi como é difícil gerenciar os arquivos no Gitlab, foi difícil até para disponibilizar as traduções pt-BR para o Xecure do seu programa antix-wifi-switch. Após ficar perdido por um bom tempo, por não conseguir criar uma pasta, criei um projeto e enviei locale_pt_BR_LC_MESSAGES_antix-wifi-switch_14-11-2020.po e o antix-wifi-switch.desktop.

@skidoo, eu agradeço pelo seu tutorial, foi de grande ajuda, eu consegui criar mais fácil https://gitlab.com/collaborations-marcelocripe/antix-wifi-switch, agora só falta aprender a mover o conteúdo de /antix para /antix-wifi-switch. Uma ação que deveria ser simples parece que não estar visível. Com muita dificuldade consegui criar isso https://gitlab.com/collaborations-marcelocripe/antix, hoje consegui editar o nome do projeto para https://gitlab.com/collaborations-marcelocripe/antix-wifi-switch.

Pode até um grande potencial o Gitlab, mas sem saber utilizar o seu potencial é a mesmo que não ter nada.

Por acaso cada projeto equivale a uma pasta?

O meu objetivo é de organizar o arquivos compactados em suas respectivas pastas. Disponibilizar a URL da pasta e a pessoa interessada poder encontrar o arquivo compactado e um arquivo de texto explicando o que fazer com o arquivo compactado.

Eu penso nas pessoas que poderão querer utilizar os arquivos compactados que estou preparando, certamente o Gitlab não é o melhor serviço para uma pessoas poder copiar a URL colar no navegador de internet e clicar no botão “Baixar”.

O navegador de internet consegue traduzir quase todos os textos do Gitlab do idioma inglês para o português, mas a dificuldade é compreender como gerenciar os recursos.

Quanto a palavra “bullloney” não existe tradução para o português. Separando a palavra “bull loney”, “bull” refere-se a um animal bovino e “loney” não encontrei tradução.

Caros colegas, eu espero não gerar desentendimentos … Já basta a minha dificuldade em não saber falar e escrever em idioma inglês. (Obrigado, ModdIt por intervir)

@andyprough, ontem eu fiquei vislumbrado com a quantidade de conteúdo do site Internet archive e vou testar hoje. Vou comparar entre o Internet archive e o MediaFire o que é mais fácil para uma pessoa baixar os arquivos.

Em breve eu retorno após testar o Internet archive.

Obrigado

marcelocripe

Why can’t you use a filesharing website, like Google Drive? or DropBox? Is it because they are not open source products?

I’m not sure what your requirements are.

And git seems better than most other options. That it is difficult for you does not mean it is not the best solution. There are easy gui interfaces that most people these days seem to prefer. But file management has been done at the text based command line for a long time. It is tried and true. You should learn it so you can use it and teach others who you are working with.

Are you saying that git is not compatible with Portuguese? That may be a problem. I can see language being a barrier in some of these cases. But surely the same problem exists in a gui or webpage interface? For the purposes of file transfer you just need to learn a little of the alternate language to be successful. After all it’s mostly a computer language, right?

And I understood the baloney comment. And I understood the tongue-in-cheek spelling of bullloney. Baloney is an alternate spelling for the lunch meat we know as balogna. And we use the term to express that we disagree. And we often say “bull” as a short form of bullshit. But to say bullloney is a very soft way to disagree without actually swearing. It is a harmless term meant to push your buttons a little bit. All of this is a lot of American idioms that do not usually translate very well. Don’t take it too seriously.

Seaken64

• This reply was modified 5 days ago by seaken64.
    Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Used to use this . https://m.4shared.comhttps://m.4shared.com/

Only reason I don’t anymore is because I let things lapse over time. I noticed the whole world uses it also.

Used to use Mega. They lost files. Forget other obscure sites I used with the same problem.

DropBox works in AntiX. But fork out some bucks to use a bunch of space.

Anyways. The one I posted is pretty dumbed down. Just bookmark, use it, and forget it.

I know internet archive is hosting a lot of Puppy Isos that were available through the years.
    One of murgas members took it upon himself to do this.
    Seems Internet Archive don’t mind.

Edit: I don’t mention google drive because that is dedicated to my phone and chromebook.
    2nd edit: My free pastebin account also has saved my behind on a few occasions.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 21 hours ago by rokytnji.
    • This reply was modified 4 days, 21 hours ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.