From Windows to AntiX

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX From Windows to AntiX

• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Aug 12-2:28 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    laristolaristo

Good day all,
    I am a linux newbie to the Linux world. Even worse, I come from the MSW world.
    Over the last 18 months or so, I have installed on pentium, netbook and an i5 laptop
    the following distros:

antiX-17.3.1
    antiX-17.4.1
    antiX-19.b2
    bodhi-5
    CorePlus
    debian-live-9
    debian-live-10
    linuxmint-18.1-cinnamon
    linuxmint-19.1-cinnamon
    inuxmint-19.1-xfce
    MX-18.2_x64
    xenialpup-7.5
    sparkylinux-5.6.2-i686-pae-lxqt
    trisquel-mini_8.0
    lubuntu-18.10-desktop-i386
    ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64
    VL-7.1-LIGHT

My first surprise,coming from a world of “you get what you pay for”, they all worked
    well!

Over time I have come to prefer AntiX. To the point of having it on all 3 computers.

I want to thank the AntiX and the MX team for all their work. I also want to thank
    all of you who take the time to help others on this and other forums.

I have run antiX19b2, It already runs very well in live_64bit mode! I can’t wait for
    the final version to come out!

My best to you all!

manyroadsmanyroads

Welcome… I have nothing but good things to say about both the antiX and MX distros. I spent the last 5+/- years running manjaro before arriving here (MX/antiX) last year. I left M$ when dirt was youg (before 2000 by a lot). I am just an old guy and can’t remember the actual transition year. Anyway, welcome and ‘have fun’.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by manyroads.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    MX-19 kernel: 5.2.21-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- bspwm, hlwm, xfce4

Yes, I still have to use Windows from 8 till 5, but after that its antiX. I also tried many other distros, but they all have strengths and weaknesses, and antiX seems to be the one I LIKE to fire up everytime I boot.

fatmacfatmac

Welcome to freedom for you & your computers. 🙂

I was a #! (crunchbang) user until it ceased, then found AntiX to be equally as good, been here ever since.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Welcome to antiX!

What do you use your computer for? What applications that you were using on Windows have you been able to replace with antiX?

Seaken64

laristolaristo

Thank you all for your kind greetings!
    I am retired now and can use any system I want.

I do some “c” programming for which I use code::blocks (instead of Microsoft).
    Having thought to large classes in the past I replaced MS Power point by LibreOffice without any problems.
    For office related work, the LibreOffice suite is more than adequate. Its capacity to convert easily to PDF is a definite plus!
    I was using Thunderbird and Firefox for WOE so no change there.
    To replace my 2D Auto-cad needs I presently use Q Cad free ($) edition.
    I was an accomplished cmd batch file writer. I can now use bash and create same or better.

I could go on but for now I would like to address a different issue.
    First let me acknowledge the incredible work done by all the programmers who have contributed to make Linux such an workable system!
    Now… It can’t all be praise.
    The installation went without a hitch! Both live and hard disk installation was relatively easy. Then adapting it to my specific needs took much too much research on the Internet. I will describe the problem of all linux distros and their applications is

user
      help. Much help is provided for those who know very little for the user.

Most WOE users have little or no interest in the underlying system. They need to be able to use their tools and when or if they need help it needs to address this directly.

This being said I would never (never say never?) go back to WOE.

Linux allows me to continue to evolve in the computing environment within my very limited monetary means.

Wow. That will teach not to ask me a question… 😉

Best regards all hope to see again in the forums

Laristo

Hi Laristo,

I also have found LibreOffice (and OpenOffice before that) to be more than adequate. I haven’t used MS Office since Windows95 days.

I have switched to Google for e-mail. Used to use Thunderbird and Firefox also. Now I use Chrome and SeaMonkey most of the time and occasionally Firefox.

I still use Windows for my relational database manager using a program called Alpha Five. I have’t found a replacement for that in Linux. At least not one I can afford!

I also still use Windows for cable tv at home and recording using WMC and HDHomeRun. I don’t use the streaming services (Netflix, etc.) and my cable company only supports Windows. I would like to use antiX but I can’t figure it out yet. I have had a little success with Kodi and PlayOn. But mostly Windows for this application.

I can agree with you that the “user help” is lacking in Linux in general. I’ve always complained that the instructions in Linux are written as if you know what you do not know. But if you have been with Linux 18 months and have not quit then I think you are well suited to Linux.

You should have seen it 20 years ago! My first Linux was Slackware and there was no pretty gui to help you install. It came on several floppy disks or CD-ROM and was all in text. You needed to buy a book from the book store to help you through it.

I wouldn’t say that any computer operating systems are really that user friendly in the beginning. Windows had a large user base and lots of books and teachers. Linux relied on corporate IT departments to set things up for users. It was not until recently that many users would even attempt to install an OS for themselves. And as you mentioned, the modern Linux distros do a pretty good job of working.

In terms of user friendliness I would put MX-18 ahead of antiX-17. MX tends to be easier to use and usually works quite well without a lot of fuss. antiX is closer to the older style of setup espoused by the likes of Slackware or Debian. Most users will need some help setting things up. And the documentation does require some geek speak and some level of nerdiness.

Good luck on getting to know your new operating system!

Seaken64

KooKoo

Welcome aboard laristo the Fun now begins.. Like da snail too..

In terms of user friendliness I would put MX ahead of antiX. Maybe we are just more sentimental about Awesomeness.. as well as geek speak and some level of nerdiness.

anitX-19 (5.3.14-antix.1-amd64-smp) + (i3) & 2 Laps T430 17.2 X220 17.4
    Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u2 + (i3)

masinickmasinick

Hi Laristo and welcome to antiX. I have been retired since early 2018.

To Seaken64, I also got my Linux start using Slackware around 1995. I’d read quite a bit about it in the early nineties, and I’d been a regular UNIX user and developer since 1982, and I used quite a few GNU-based utilities, so as I read about Linux and noticed the use of GNU software, I figured it’d be an easy transition for me, but getting that first system installed back in the nineties was nowhere near as easy as it is now. I purchased a book and made sure I had a pretty good idea how to do everything, so I had a number of things bookmarked, written down, or otherwise saved.

I bought my very first home PC in 1995, twenty plus years after pursuing studies in Computer Science and Software Engineering. The book contained a copy of Slackware, so getting the book and my own personal computer is what accelerated my pace. Seeing a copy of Linux not only running, but fairly screaming on a powerful UNIX-based system intensified my interest and my desire to work with it on my own time, and that’s been something I’ve done ever since.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Nothing I am good at came easily for me. But after I become good at it. I own it. Lastly. When given a hand up. If critical of that hand up.
    Better have some thick skin in case you hit a neerve3.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

laristolaristo

Again thank you for your greetings!
    My first adventure in the non-Woe universe was with SCO Unix 386. At the time Windows was at 3.1 . Even then I was impressed by Unix’s power. Sadly my employer was more impressed by market share than performance. So I spent the next 30 years working with windows…
    So I enter the Linux world and specifically antiX by choice.

I have run antiX 19b2 live on my main and my net-book. I am back to 17.4 but I can’t wait to see the final version.

Talk to you soon!
    Laristo

@masinick, in 1995 I was still using DOS. I resisted Windows (or GUI’s in general) for years and did not start using Windows regularly until Windows95/98, long after most users had dropped DOS and moved to Windows or OS/2.

The first computer I bought myself was a Tandy 1400LT, which was a PC Clone laptop/portable. That was about 1988. It ran MS DOS 3.3. Previous to that I had used a Commodore PET in school and a C-64 that was owned by one of my roommates after high school. When I met my wife her family business had a NorthStar Advantage that they were no longer using. I took it home and learned CP/M. I also purchased a N* Horizon. This was around 1987. I stayed with CP/M and DOS until our business finally purchased some Pentium-III computers running Windows XP. By the time XP SP3 came along these computers were almost useless for Windows and we upgraded to some IBM ThinkCentre Pentium 4’s.

When we retired the Pentium-III’s is when I started really getting into Linux. I had dabbled with Slackware around 1997 on an old Gateway 2000 486-66, all in text mode. Then I started getting into the X windows system using Vector Linux and Fedora and OpenSuSE. Eventually I came to Debian. I had inherited a lot of old computers, mostly Pentium-III and Celeron with less than 1GB of RAM. I was looking for a Debian that would be easier for me to implement on these old machines and that led me to antiX. Started with Slackware/Vector around 1999 or 2000 and ended up with Debian/antiX in about 2013.

I was never a computer science type or a programmer. Just an advanced user and enthusiast. Linux was too hard for me to use in 1997 and it took about three years before I could really start to get use out of it. I stayed with DOS/Windows for most of my computing until I finally started getting comfortable with Debian, with the help of antiX and MX. Now I use antiX and MX on several old computers, both in our business and at home. These machines range from Pentium-II class to Core-2-DUO class, with from 196MB to 2GB RAM.

Like laristo I tried a lot of distros, installing and testing. I’ve used almost all the distros in the Slackware, Redhat, SuSe, and Debian families. I did not try any of the more cutting edge families or the DIY distros such as Arch or Gentoo. But I always tell people who are interested in Linux to try antiX and MX.

This is a good distro/community to cut your teeth in Linux on. Especially for the non-computer-scientist types like me. I’ve always been able to understand enough code and scripting to make it work. I started modifying Assembly Language scripts in CP/M and typing in Basic or Pascal programs in Commodore, CP/M or DOS. Then I learned to setup DOS/Windows batch files and config settings. Finally, I learned to setup Linux configurations with the help of Vector/Slackware/SuSe and then onto Debian and antiX/MX.

antiX/MX is just enough geeky to be able to set it up to work the way you want and support the machines that need an OS. Much less confusion than Ubuntu and easier to manage than Slackware or Arch (at least for me). But if you come from a Windows 7/8/10 or MAC OSX background and expect everything to be done for you it may be a little hard to get used to antiX, or even MX. Harder than it seems to be for Ubuntu or Mint, or OpenSuSE for many users.

Welcome to all the Windows or MAC users who have found their way to antiX and MX. If you’re like me you’ll be very pleased with the results. A very usable OS that can keep some of our older computers in use for several more years.

Seaken64

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.