[SOLVED] frugal install 32-bit antiX

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions [SOLVED] frugal install 32-bit antiX

• This topic has 153 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated May 5-10:25 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    dugin

I did the toram frugal root install, DVD boot, all seems well. I notice that OS-dedicated logical drive sda1 no longer shows in ‘media’. I’ll keep searching the topic, but if you could tell me how to put an app launch icon on desktop, that would speed things along. Firefox, ROX root, Connman wizard, Geany, mtPaint, Terminal, Calculator. My wireless connection drops frequently, not so much in antix, but it happens. I need a network connection monitor in the systray that shows a red X when the connection is dropped, otherwise the triangular antenna icon showing good connection. I can’t read a connection drop off Conky. Yes, I see the connectivity icons in systray. I don’t care so much about the numbers, I want to know if the connection is down, hence a visible red X.

EDIT: I see what Connman Systray is doing now, so cancel my request.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by dugin.
      christophe

Your program shortcuts reside in /usr/share/applications & /usr/share/applications/antix.

So, open a rox-filer window, and drag & drop whichever shortcuts you want onto the desktop.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

dugin

Would it not be desirable to put an “Open with…” command in a file’s right-click context menu, that is editable to include default and user-selected apps to perform various operations? For example, a photograph might show Open with…” in the right-click context menu, then user selects mtpaint to edit photo, instead of default viewer from left-click.

xfburn has a desktop launch icon, but the application is not available from package installer. I get it from synaptic? Or is there a problem with xfburn? What is the recommended burner for antiX?

christophe

Would it not be desirable to put an “Open with…”

You got it! 😉

christophe

What is the recommended burner for antiX?

Full version comes with xfburn, so that one works. (In my experience, it’s always been quirky.) But any program you like would also be fine.

dugin

I searched for xfburn in synaptic, mark all upgrades, then I decided not to install it. Instead I searched for simpleburn, which required python, highlighted simpleburn, clicked Apply, and then, unexpectedly, xfburn was installed. Well, okay that’s not really a problem, cause I wanted to look at it anyway, since it is an antiX app. So I opened synaptic again and tried to get simpleburn. It processed, but produced an error that space had run out, then gave two error messages that have essentially made synaptic inoperable

An error occcurred
                E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg-configure -a' to correct the problem
                E: cache->open() failed, please report

So why am I running out of space? Why is xfburn not included in the antiX package installer?

Maybe I should do a rollback on this session, how do I do that?

EDIT: It wasn’t worth fixing, I deleted the folder, and started over. I still need to know how to rollback to a previous session. If I had closed out with Restart Session from Logout, would that have eliminated the botched session?

dugin

I have the apps installed, bookmarks, etc. Maybe I should copy the folder to another logical drive as a backup. Only problem is Connman Systray. I set Connman to Autostart in Preferences but it doesn’t come up at boot. I want Connman Systray running automatically at boot, so I can observe or modify connectivity. And, unfortunately, there is no desktop launch icon for Connman in usr/share/applications, so I have to dig it out of the menu tree every time I boot up. That is inconvenient.

size of antiX-Frugal folder at initial backup: 1.759 GB

Is that size about normal?

EDIT: More bad news. I’m playing a YouTube video and the video is choppy and jerky, so I guess the video driver needs to be upgraded.

Graphics:
                    Device-1: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell 
                    driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:2582 class-ID: 0300 
                    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: intel 
                    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz s-dpi: 96 
                    OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915G x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 1.4 Mesa 20.3.5 
                    direct render: Yes 
                  dugin

Just before antiX boots to desktop, there is a brief flash of broken-image screen, so it is possible that the video driver is failing, and antiX is reverting to Safe Video Mode before showing desktop. The youtube video in question is also choppy when antiX is booted in Safe Video Mode. I looked at my other Linux OS frugal install, and find the same driver is installed, with no problems. Apparently, I can’t play a mp4 video file from ROX as root. Why is that?

See:
                    General graphics lag in Debian
                    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=45423

This has been SOLVED.
                    By a combination of two factors.
                    One, I’ve switched over to Xfce and kinda like it. Two, someone had me add this to my xorg.conf:
                    Code: Select all
                    Option “AccelMethod” “XAA”
                    under Section “Device”
                    Computer is much, MUCH smoother now. <3 you, Debian.

I switched to JWM, but the video streamed from YouTube is still choppy, so I want to edit xorg.conf as described above. Problem is, nothing looks familiar in usr/share/X11/xorg.config.d Where is xorg.config in the file system?

dugin

Now that I’ve switched to JWM from the boot screen F6, I can’t drag application shortcuts to Desktop, even as root.
                      Immediate objectives:
                      1 semi-permanently disable Conky
                      2 antorun Connman Systray at boot persistently (edit init?)
                      3 find xorg.config in file system
                      4 edit xorg.config for “AccelMethod” “XAA” under Device
                      5 install Show Desktop toggle on bottom toolbar near JWM Menu button

What if I am very dissatisfied with a session. How do I reboot without the session being synced and updated?

christophe

What if I am very dissatisfied with a session. How do I reboot without the session being synced and updated?

You change the way the persistence is saved. There is a program called “Configure persistence.” With it, you can choose automatic (which is what I guided you to choose, because you wanted that), which automatically saves changes at shutdown. There is also semi-automatic, which gives you the option to save or not at shutdown. Then there is manual. With manual, you have to manually run the “Save Persistence Changes” program before shutdown, or you lose your changes. You can, of course, run “Save Persistence Changes” at any time, regardless of the method of dynamic persistence you’ve chosen.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by christophe.

christophe

And, unfortunately, there is no desktop launch icon for Connman in usr/share/applications, so I have to dig it out of the menu tree every time I boot up. That is inconvenient.

It’s there; it’s called cmst.desktop 😉

christophe

Immediate objectives:
                            1 semi-permanently disable Conky

Edit the file ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf.

Change this entry: LOAD_CONKY="true"
                            to
                            LOAD_CONKY="false"

caprea

You can also edit your ~/.desktop-session/startup file to have a connman gui monitor icon on the taskbar by default.
                              control-centre > session > configuration of the user

Search for
                              ## Puts connman gui monitor icon on the taskbar
                              cmst -m &

dugin

When I select Preferred Applications, should I be picking executables from bin or sbin instead of desktop shortcuts in usr/share/applications? if yes, which directory, sbin or bin?

I guess I am going to have to create an xorg.conf file since modern distros have dispensed with it. Unless, someone knows how to tweak an obviously resource-strapped graphics driver for better acceleration. Any suggestions?

I would rather use ROX-IceWM because it’s the default, probably better developed. So I will try the graphics acceleration tweak before I switch to a lighter DE/WM. Fingers crossed.

Just out of curiosity, why was it, I couldn’t drag desktop shortcuts to the JWM desktop? Granted, JWM is a window manager, but so is IceWM.

dugin

Starting place for xorg.conf creation:
                                  Xorg (Debian)
                                  http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 154 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.