Frugal Install to SSD

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Frugal Install to SSD

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 16-8:16 pm by skidoo.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

If I do a Frugal install to SSD, does Firefox cache, history will be written to DISK ?

Forum Admin
    BitJamBitJam

No, not be default. But it will get written to the homefs file directly if you enable home persistence. Changes will also get written to a file (the rootfs file) if you enable static root persistence which should work well on an ssd. If you enable both then homefs wins. With static root persistence, all file system changes are stored on disk, otherwise they are stored in RAM.

You can also have the persistence files written to a different device if you use the pdev= plab= or puuid= cheats.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

(general firefox info, not specific to a frugal install)

You can control “does” or “does not” by editing the firefox preferences
    about:config

To completely disable:
    browser.cache.disk.enable = false

If you have other drives attached, instead of disabling, you might specify a custom location (not on SSD)
    browser.cache.disk.parent_directory = /path/of/your/choice

SEPARATE FROM ABOVE, firefox frequently writes session and history to disk.
    The value for prefkey browser.sessionstore.interval = is given in milliseconds.
    IIRC, the default is 15000 (15 seconds); I’ve set mine to 120000 (2 minutes).
    To avoid these write operations from hitting the SSD, you can (create and/or) use a custom profile for which you’ve specified a profile directory on a separate drive
    Profile Manager
    managing profiles
    or you might achieve a workaround by creating a mountpoint, or using a symlink…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.