FSCK Stack smashing detected corruption on recently updated antiX SID

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders FSCK Stack smashing detected corruption on recently updated antiX SID

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 3-1:08 am by wildstar84.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

I am just curious whether anyone else is experiencing the following behavior. Started happening recently as follows:
      – At some point (after a number of good boots) of antiX Live SID (no persistence) an error develops early on during boot process, while FSCK executing:

*** Stack Smashing Detected…*** Sda2 (antiX boot partition) could not be fixed ***
      and gives an option to C-continue, R-reboot, P-power down.
      Ones it starts happening it happens every time antiX boots. Prior to this first occurrence no boot issues.
      Again to stress, it is on no-persistence Live antiX. So something appears to get corrupted during boot, before linuxfs gets decompressed and the complete antiX environment created.

The only fix I found was just to re-install (re-image via live-usb-maker) from recent backup.
      But after some number of boots, eventually it gets corrupted the same way.
      At first I though it was the SSD that develops issues, but now it appears a different SSD SATA and even USB flash device gets the same issue after some time.

As I keep multiple disks as backup, I am able to restore. But at this point it appears there is some issue and I am curious if it is just me…
      Thanks in advance for some ideas…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

Have you tried running fsck on the drive?

there is a thread here that might help.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/errorstack-smashing-detected-terminated/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

This is what I am getting from running fsck:

$ sudo fsck /dev/sda
          [sudo] password for demo:
          fsck from util-linux 2.38.1
          e2fsck 1.47.0 (5-Feb-2023)
          ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block
          fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks…
          fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4
          filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4
          filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
          is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
          e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
          or
          e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

Found a dos partition table in /dev/sda

This corruption is a on a second SSD SATA drive, after replacing the first one having this issue.
          I think I will swap this for a traditional drive just to see if the same corruption develops after some time.
          Thanks for advice and the link…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Xunzi_23

Experienced same issue,

Had to setup a new antiX 23 Beta sid on USB Stick from a fresh download yesterday.

Errors:
            FSCK: Corruption in FAT32/dos part of drive, dirty bit was set,
            I was unable to fix the issue

dirty bit points to corruption due drive removal without unmounting.

Added unplugdrive.sh icon to toolbar
            If not in menus Starter can be created using menu editor from controll center.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Xunzi_23.
            Xunzi_23

I now assume the local drive problem to be caused by recent Thunderstorms and
              associated power disturbances. Hope that is correct.

wildstar84

See my post entitled “[Solved] – Weird failure in GNU coreutils pkg.” in this (Sid) section. Also try running the command “expr –version” and see if it “smashes stacks” for you. If so, then my post WILL solve your pbm. You might then also check around, perhaps it’s another C executable (check the “GNU coreutils pkg’s executables, as I would suspect them first, if expr is innocent) on your system. Hope this saves you from a reinstall!

Regards,

Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.