Funtoo Linux 1.3 announcement: dropping 32-bit multilib support

Forum Forums General Other Distros Funtoo Linux 1.3 announcement: dropping 32-bit multilib support

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by linuxdaddy Jan 8-6:44 pm.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    skidoo

Just posting this for the historical record

https://www.funtoo.org/Release_Notes/1.3-release

Deprecation of multilib Support

Multilib support — the ability for 64-bit versions of Funtoo Linux to run legacy 32-bit applications — has been deprecated, so that Funtoo Linux for 64-bit CPUs is now 64-bit only — what we used to offer as a separate “pure64” build. This was done because 32-bit support was originally created as a stop-gap measure 15 years ago to allow for a seamless transition to 64-bit computing, and we believe the time has come to shed this ongoing maintenance burden and focus efforts that have historically been spent on 32-bit compatibility to other areas.

We realize that this may create inconvenience for some users. There are some workarounds that will work for most situations. One is to create a 32-bit chroot environment for the odd 32-bit application that you may still need to run.

Important
    We will be offering more advanced solutions in the future. For applications such as the popular Steam, we are developing a container-based solution with GPU passthrough — essentially a “chroot on steroids” — that will allow you to deploy Steam in a container. We welcome the challenge to deliver this solution to Funtoo users as the efforts we are spending on container GPU acceleration are more beneficial to the larger Funtoo community than continuing to maintain multilib.

Funtoo Linux forum

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

I saw that too skidoo though on distrowatch earlier. Never messed with gentoo
    stuff. But….
    Like so many others …… seems like everyday another distro drops
    32-bit support and does only 64-bit. And as most hardware is 64-bits nowadays
    the development pool shifts to 64-bits too. Good thing is the people that need to run those
    32-bit software applications could always come here and join antiX to do so 🙂

BTW gentoo solution is this.

One is to create a 32-bit chroot environment for the odd 32-bit application that you may still need to run.

FWIW I say OMG last time I chrooted to run anything was when I built a LFS-6.3 base a long time ago.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: added to it

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.