Funtoo Linux 1.3 announcement: dropping 32-bit multilib support

Forum Forums General Other Distros Funtoo Linux 1.3 announcement: dropping 32-bit multilib support

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous Jun 23-10:15 pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    skidoo

Just posting this for the historical record

https://www.funtoo.org/Release_Notes/1.3-release

Deprecation of multilib Support

Multilib support — the ability for 64-bit versions of Funtoo Linux to run legacy 32-bit applications — has been deprecated, so that Funtoo Linux for 64-bit CPUs is now 64-bit only — what we used to offer as a separate “pure64” build. This was done because 32-bit support was originally created as a stop-gap measure 15 years ago to allow for a seamless transition to 64-bit computing, and we believe the time has come to shed this ongoing maintenance burden and focus efforts that have historically been spent on 32-bit compatibility to other areas.

We realize that this may create inconvenience for some users. There are some workarounds that will work for most situations. One is to create a 32-bit chroot environment for the odd 32-bit application that you may still need to run.

Important
    We will be offering more advanced solutions in the future. For applications such as the popular Steam, we are developing a container-based solution with GPU passthrough — essentially a “chroot on steroids” — that will allow you to deploy Steam in a container. We welcome the challenge to deliver this solution to Funtoo users as the efforts we are spending on container GPU acceleration are more beneficial to the larger Funtoo community than continuing to maintain multilib.

Funtoo Linux forum

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

I saw that too skidoo though on distrowatch earlier. Never messed with gentoo
    stuff. But….
    Like so many others …… seems like everyday another distro drops
    32-bit support and does only 64-bit. And as most hardware is 64-bits nowadays
    the development pool shifts to 64-bits too. Good thing is the people that need to run those
    32-bit software applications could always come here and join antiX to do so 🙂

BTW gentoo solution is this.

One is to create a 32-bit chroot environment for the odd 32-bit application that you may still need to run.

FWIW I say OMG last time I chrooted to run anything was when I built a LFS-6.3 base a long time ago.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: added to it

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

masinick
    masinick

For the longest time I had only 32-bit systems, but at last, all that I still have available to me is a 64-bit laptop (and all I have on it are Linux distros), and we have two low-powered Chromebooks in our home, plus a couple of Android phones. Oh, sorry, I made a mistake. My wife still has a low powered, cheap RCA laptop for the rare instances when she wants to use Microsoft Office. I showed her this week that you can use LibreOffice on Linux or even the Google office suite with Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc. or you can use other office suites, free or otherwise that run on alternate software platforms that never require Windows.

If I want to print something and I don’t have a printer – we’re getting rid of ours – I can go to a public library, and I may get stuck using a Windows product there or at the local university; otherwise we’re nearly 100% Windows free – soon it will be 100%!

Brian Masinick

manyroads
    manyroads

Like me… even computers become obsolete. 😉

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    MX-19 kernel: 5.2.21-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- bspwm, hlwm, xfce4

HJ

I think anything based on Ubuntu is eliminating 32bit multilib. Debian Buster and Fedora 30 still have 32bit version. As long as they support it, it will remain.

Whats truly amazing is that Microsoft isnt in any rush to get rid of 32bit windows 10. I think pretty much it was only used OEM on handful of netbooks/cloudbooks/tablets with atom processors.

HJ

If I want to print something and I don’t have a printer – we’re getting rid of ours – I can go to a public library, and I may get stuck using a Windows product there or at the local university; otherwise we’re nearly 100% Windows free – soon it will be 100%!

I got tired of the ink jet printer scam some time back. Bought an old commercial duty HP Laserjet 4000 for like $35. Black and white only. That thing wont die and it uses toner which doesnt dry up. Though I finally just recently had to order new toner cartridge for it, but they are cheap and no more than I print maybe last rest of my life. It came with the old printer port cable, so had to get a usb conversion cable for it.

Anonymous

Ubuntu Steve Langasek has reported that Ubuntu will be dropping support for 32-bit packages in Ubuntu 19.10 and future versions. “The Ubuntu engineering team has reviewed the facts before us and concluded that we should not continue to carry i386 forward as an architecture. Consequently, i386 will not be included as an architecture for the 19.10 release, and we will shortly begin the process of disabling it for the Eoan series across Ubuntu infrastructure.” Information on this change and how it will affect people running Steam or other 32-bit packages can be found on Ubuntu’s Discourse forum. The removal of 32-bit libraries may also affect people wishing to run 32-bit programs through WINE and other compatibility software, such as some console emulators.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2019-June/001261.html
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/i386-architecture-will-be-dropped-starting-with-eoan-ubuntu-19-10/11263/2
    https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/06/wine-developers-concerned-with-ubuntu.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.