Future antiX

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Future antiX

• This topic has 70 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated Apr 14-6:10 pm by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author

What will end up in the next version of antiX is a matter for devs, ISO size aims mean some pretty tough selection.
    MX is mid weight and includes some tools some users may find more comfortable, after more than a year on antix with icewm
    majority of other distros feel slow and distracting. :-).

For your current problem:
    Do you have sudo apt-get install exfat-utils exfat-fuse installed.
    You can then set media to automount in the controll center. Should that not work for some reason we will need to figure out
    why.

Seems gparted is not working correctly for xfat, as a fallback you can use it to correctly identify your device then
    format with sudo mkfs.exfat -n /dev/sdb1 Substitute sdb1 with your device !!!.
    Or format in the camera, i have several non go pro devices which demand internal format.
    gnome-disk-utility is reputed to work with xfat.

Hi, everyone- I’ve been otherwise engaged and I’ve been trying to have a bit more balance on my life, and focus more on paying work, that puts food on my table and try to stop obsessing with computer related stuff, antiX included. From time to time, ever couple of days of so, I keep an eye on the forum, but, in the last couple of months, I believe I posted only once. On the future of antiX, considering all the latest advances I have this to say:
    -antiX 19.3, as is, is an almost “perfect” OS- by this I mean, pratically no bugs, and rock solid- you can use it for months on end and get no freeze, even 10-20 years old computers. But there’s a lot to improve- mainly- localization of the more essential applications first, and then all the other software included out of the box. This affects only non English speaking users- Marcelocripe and robin are putting a lot of effort into that (sorry for staying silent Robin).
    -stuff like working on hidpi. automatic network detection, remembering screen resolution, etc are all also some amenities that we are getting- more advanced users have always known, or can easily discover how to do almost anything on antiX or any other Linux system- but antiX in the last versions has began catering for more non technical users- that basicaly are simple end users that only want to browse the net, do office work, play simple games, etc…
    -There are some very good efforts- I tested Skidoo’s Package Manager at my main home PC and it works great- having the chance to use only one application to install software- using not the highly usefull list curated by the antiX Dev Team, but also dozens of thousands of packages form the main Debian Repo- it’s a more complex tool, true, but also more useful for the non techie user- antiX Updater and that version of the Package Manager do provide a (for me) ideal combo that allows users to have an up to date system and easily install anything (even without the flexibility and features of Synaptic)
    What antiX, in my opinion needs to have in future releases is to stick to its formula- have light apps that do one thing and do one thing right.
    Have, when possible, simple GUI’s/scripts to help non techies do basic stuff that most other OS’s allow them to do easily
    Localize, localize, localize
    This this forum alive and active, but above all- keep using the polite way to tell newbies (and non newbies) to RTFM – most question have already been asked and answered her, also we do have an amazing, up to date Wiki, we do have general sticky threads that try to help people do task oriented stuff- people do not want to know what every single option in our vast menu do- they want to know how to simple stuff- How do I set a new desktop image? How to I change my screen resolution and make it stick? How to I place icons on the desktop or (tool)bar? How to I connect to my wi-fi network, and so on and so on… – all that is explained here, and has to suffer minor or major tweaks when antiX 21 comes out.
    – Before my hiatus I was thinking of modernizing one excellent but very underused antiX tool- Streamlight- that allows users to view/download YouTube videos without using Internet browsers, that use more resources than simply using a light media player- what I wanted to change- have a config file- so users don’t have to always go trough the menus to select what they want to do, also- although the fact that the app reads the selected/highlighted YouTube link is sometimes handy. more often it’s not, because you have to open the link on the browser to highlight it and view it using Streamlight- it makes sense to right click the link and copy it, and open it from Streamlight, not having to open it on the browser to do the same in Streamlight – it would work almost as an add-on to any browser- when you want to view a YouTube video, copy it’s address, and fire up Streamlight from it’s tray icon- and Presto- a almost instant and fast video is streamed, even if your computer is to slow to allow you to use YouTube on the browser, or you dislike all the publicity or have a slow connection… I’ll probably won’t get back to this idea soon, but I leave it for anyone to pick it up…

P.

I’d be pleased to see briar-gtk as soon as possible in antiX

using this example because I trust the person who mentioned briar-gtk has broad enough shoulders to bear some criticism…

Several of the “wishes” aka “asks” folks have mentioned are quite unreasonable.
    Said differently: they are not well researched, well-reasoned

Maintainers of antiX (and upstream “stable” Debian) packages are not geared for keeping up with changes to such rapidly-evolving “cutting edge” Shiny New Hotness apps.

Do you even realize that briar-gtk necessitates installation of a Java (JRE) component?
    To date, nothing else pre-installed in antiX uses Java, right?

Is “briar” even a candidate worthy of championing? Has “briar” even achieved sustainable traction? In my reading of in-the-trenhces “briar” user discussions, I have encountered far too many users grumbling (vs praising) it.

If/when it becomes available as an AppImage, I would welcome a write-up on its setup and usage… but I cringe at the prospect of finding it pre-installed within any reputedly “stable” Debian -based linux distribution.

namida12namida12

What will end up in the next version of antiX is a matter for devs, ISO size aims mean some pretty tough selection.
    MX is mid weight and includes some tools some users may find more comfortable, after more than a year on antix with icewm
    majority of other distros feel slow and distracting. :-).

For your current problem:
    Do you have sudo apt-get install exfat-utils exfat-fuse installed.
    You can then set media to automount in the controll center. Should that not work for some reason we will need to figure out
    why.

Seems gparted is not working correctly for xfat, as a fallback you can use it to correctly identify your device then
    format with sudo mkfs.exfat -n /dev/sdb1 Substitute sdb1 with your device !!!.
    Or format in the camera, i have several non go pro devices which demand internal format.
    gnome-disk-utility is reputed to work with xfat.

Moddit,

I understand the future antiX software choices is a matter for devs. I am trying to request a few things I need, and would like to see added to the forthcoming newer Antix. If I didn’t suggest then developers may not remember my software requests.

I had exfat-utils exfat-fuse installed in the previous antix 19.3 install on this hardware that does not like the 5.10 kernel in Antix. That did not work well as I have many different Micro cards, and large flash drives with exfat. The problem using (sudo mkfs.exfat -n /dev/sdb1) is the device always disappears immediately after formatting.

For the moment booting the hardware with a live media MX thumb drive is much simpler to format a flash drive or move my videos about on exfat devices than to use antix. Then I can copy them to the antix home. Then I reboot into antix 19.3. I have moved things about in my work space and set up another desktop system adjacent to this hardware, with MX installed. But I have experienced many problems trying to transfer some videos from the MX system from exfat devices, on fat32 thumb drives (size limit). This is the Reason I am using MX live media to store files on Antix.

I Have just started using the Xmas gifted GoPro on my bicycle, and posting to youtube. I haven’t really started editing yet, will use Blender, kdenlive, and DaVinci Resolve software in Antix, before uploading to Youtube in the future.

I had not done much since Xmas, when I got my GoPro because I was doing an eye procedure to fix my poor eye sight in both eyes. I can see again, and everything is amazingly bright and vivid colours. It is nice to see again, and ride my bicycle when I am away from the computer’s 34 inch screen…

• This reply was modified 6 days, 11 hours ago by namida12. Reason: Gramer
    userzerouserzero

Hay algunas cosas que son redundantes en AntiX, como -Streamlight-
    There are some things that are redundant in AntiX, like -Streamlight-

https://github.com/sayan01/scripts/blob/master/yt

https://github.com/pystardust/ytfzf

I can see again, and everything is amazingly bright and vivid colours. It is nice to see again, and ride my bicycle.

That is very positive news.

Have only ridden a couple of times up to now this year, still not able to breath the way I did before “it” got me..
    For a long while I was out of breath after a few steps. I was not hospitalised, too frightened as
    our nearby hospital is better known for antibiotic resistant infections = killing rather than healing.

Back to xfat:
    The problem using (sudo mkfs.exfat -n /dev/sdb1) is the device always disappears immediately after formatting.
    No automount, will see if I can figure that out during next days, are you using a card reader or usb adapter ?.

I do have both, the reader is a pain. Fat 32 agree, one chinese device I have records 4GB chunks, in 4K that is mean.

Regarding comment on devs decide, I understood, just other/most new users need the hint, antiX is a very well balanced
    lightweight distro.
    My main running version is pretty heavy now but that is due adding a lot of applications, that is not curated
    and has been fun at times = breakage. But antiX is very light on rescources so for things like working/playing with
    video @4k and my Nikon Raw pics my no 1 choice.

namida12namida12

Quote Moddit: “Back to xfat:
    The problem using (sudo mkfs.exfat -n /dev/sdb1) is the device always disappears immediately after formatting.
    No automount, will see if I can figure that out during next days, are you using a card reader or usb adapter ?.”

Moddit,
    I am using a insignia ns-dcr3052k
    USB compact memory reader

128 or larger Flash Memory sticks (Flash/Thumb drives) exfat
    1 Gray steel clad Samsung 128 USB 3.1
    1 Silver steel clad Samsung 128 USB 3.0
    1 Silver steel clad Samsung 128 USB 3.1
    1 Blue steel clad Samsung 128 USB 3.0
    1 Blue steel clad Samsung 128 USB 3.1

3 SanDisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 <–the forth one has gone bad, can’t find in MX live media after I tried to format in Antix as exfat.
    1 tiny samsung 128 USB 3.0 that kinda works – boot MX system in morning and it is recognised, once mounted and disconnected it can not be opened until system is rebooted…

• This reply was modified 6 days, 1 hour ago by namida12.

Hallo namida12, So we can get a bit more focussed for troubleshooting.

Automount entry antiX, just to be sure pls check in ~/.desktop-session if automount is enabled.

# Enable/Disable automounting
    automount-antix &

Is fat 32 automounting without issues in your card reader.

Hello skidoo,

Do you even realize that briar-gtk necessitates installation of a Java (JRE) component?
    To date, nothing else pre-installed in antiX uses Java, right?

Is “briar” even a candidate worthy of championing? Has “briar” even achieved sustainable traction? In my reading of in-the-trenhces “briar” user discussions, I have encountered far too many users grumbling (vs praising) it.

It is always a good idea to let decisions be based on careful consideration, taking into account more than the first impression only. You can estimate the intrinsic qualities of programs much better than me, since you dispose of pieces of information from an interior view of them. Inerhent weak points in design or shortcommings I’m not able to evaluate, above all as long I haven’t had a chance to see it running, since my skills in informatics are not that ample by far I could dare to judge this question by looking into the source code. So please take into account my proposal founds on what I have learned by reading its description and manual only. This makes it biased probably.

The program is in an early state of development only, so I consider it to be normal not everything to be working as expected still. Grumbling users I believe to be necessary for the further progress, only this way the developers can learn what could be done better, or simply in another way.

Java: How come again and again reasonable Ideas get implemented this way? Indeed I don’t know what exactly is the taint it obviously must have, but it got around even to me that one should better stay off from its use. Is the standard “Briar” (which works on smartphones only) also based on java, or is only the “Briar-GTK” is affected? Last time “mediathekview” (probably only wellknown in German language area, de, ch, at) which came along java based only, without any alternative application present at that time. Some years ago I would have this program proposed as an candidate for antiX also (at least if it had been of any use to international users), simply for the unique features it has had. So what exactly is the problem with that java (besides the fact it doesn’t seem to use kid gloves when exhausting ressources, slowing down even fast computers notably when employing disadvantageous settings).

So my recommendation of Briar-GTK was based mainly on functional aspects, which this tool aims at:

— This messenger is said to work without any centralised server infrastructure, so the ubiquitous data krakens like Google/Alphabet, Facebook, Twitter, Tiktok, Yandex or whatever they call themselves, or whatever is the flavour of the month, are kept out. I count this for an positive aspect, reminding of the connection Facebook/Twitter –> Cambridge Analytica /SCL GRoup ( –> Emerdata). Bad weeds grow tall… But the duration of capacity for remembering these facts of the users of all these proven untrustworthy messenger providers over time is poor.

— It claims to keep all userdata in the users personal area of influence, which is to say on his own device and under his control, instead of being sent to an nebulous Cloud Service driven by the before mentioned untrustworthy Providers. Maybe I’m somewhat oldfashioned in this concern, but I simply don’t trust in all these touted cloud services of all shades in concern of privacy and security.

— All user data as well as meta data are said to transferred employing a true end-to-end encryption, so infringement of privacy should not can happen. The greediness of all the before mentioned data krakens, who presently keep their users in tight stranglehold by means of their AGBs in order to gravely abuse stolen user data (I am aware they call all this as legal themselves), are kept away.

— The service isn’t subject to arbitrary decisions, nobody can unplug by simply taking down a server the day he doesn’t expect his profit any longer from its existence. Arbitrary rule of administrative machineries is obviated, which is an important aspect for people living in countries facing fascistic dictatorship, so they have access to unbiased information, as well as for journalists and rapporteurs from countries conquered by censorship.

It is free software, nobody can deliberately close down this tool gradually or abruptly, simply by not updating the program code to more recent operating system versions or hardware, not even the draughtsman itself. As long there is a need, other people accordingly skilled will step in to continue, since they have access to all necessary pieces of information. (Example what it plays out usually like comes from another field: Nvidia is just going to try to brick my fully functioning notebook, rendering it to a piece of scrap, simply by keeping secret the necessary pieces of information needed for adapting drivers to recent kernels or xorg versions, moreover removing the needed drivers for the device from their own recent packages at the same time. This is what I call to “unplug”, in this case it boils down to factual disappropriation.)

— In case of internet blackout (in catastrophic scenery e.g.) this program claims to stay usable in near field at least. I believe the devices connect in this case via WLAN or Bluetooth, by rising a local grid.

— My impression from the programs self description is: Standard user should be able easily to install, setup and handle this tool. Nobody should need to dig into this subject in order to enjoy a tamper-resistant and secure communication platform. The big players were only able to establish due to the fact that they have understood to make their offers easily accessible to average people. All the other alternatives I came to know of are actually in lack this kind of easiness. Using them requires at least long learning and skills development, and without at least some knowledge about informatics and cryptographic techniques you will be lost. Neither installation nor usage are in reach otherwise. This establishes great barriers when it comes to subtend something reasonable against the totalitarian mass surveillance owing to private enterprises in internet, something which is usable as easily as e.g. facebook.

— Briar-GTK establishes a bridge for Briar between mobile devices and the world of desktop/laptop. This function is provided by the established messenger services also. If this bridge wouldn’t exist, they should better go and burry their project, since having a drawback like this I don’t believe it will ever become widely accepted.

I can’t assess whether this program will be able to follow up its promises. So I’m not going to start singing any kind of hymn of praise for it, least of all without having seen it working myself. With regard to its safety I have to rely on the expertise of external audits. A first audit was performed already (https://briarproject.org/raw/BRP-01-report.pdf), a second one is announced to follow after development will have been finished once.

Many greetings
    Robin.

P.S.: As you have guessed, I don’t need my strong shoulders to accept your justified criticism of my proposal (but yes, you are right again, I do have them, anyway 🙂 ) You are completely right, saying I can’t evaluate the innards of programs by no means at all. By the way, I’m missing here one of your always refreshing images, targeting strikingly at the quintessence. 🙂

In the end it will be always up to the antiX developers, making their decision about whether a proposal fits into their concept of design or not. What we users can do only is altogether give a summary of pro and contra, in order to present as many possible aspects to them they ever need, as a broad base of decision. In this respect I’m completely free of pain: Whenever any of my proposals or statements turns out to be complete nonsense from an other point of view, I’m glad this was identified before somebody has invested time and effort into this.

————————————-

Since I am not a native speaker in english language I’ll add my thoughts in my native language for reference, in case I missed to express something correctly in english language:

Es ist gut, Entscheidungen auf Überlegungen basieren zu lassen, die mehr als nur den äußeren Anschein einer Sache einbeziehen. Du kannst die Inneren Werte eines Programms besser beurteilen als ich, weil Du über mehr Informationen aus der Innenansicht von Programmen verfügst. Mögliche mögliche Schwächen oder Mängel kann ich nicht beurteilen, bevor ich das Programm nicht in Betrieb gesehen habe, denn meine Informatik-Fähigkeiten reichen nicht aus, um das durch Inspektion des Sourcecodes beurteilen zu können. Mein Vorschlag gründete sich also auf dem, was ich aus seiner Beschreibung von dem Programm weiß. Er ist daher sicherlich “biased”.

Es ist noch in einem frühen Entwicklungsstadium. Da sehe ich es als normal an, daß nicht alles funktioniert wie gewünscht. Grummelnde Anwender halte ich angesichts dessen für notwendig, nur so können die Entwickler lernen was sie vielleicht besser oder jedenfalls anders machen könnten.

Java: Warum nur werden immer wieder sinnvolle Ideen auf diese Weise umgesetzt? Ich weiß zwar nicht genau, was genau der Makel an Java ist, aber es hat sich auch bis zu mir herumgeprochen, daß man es möglichst vermeiden soll. Ich wußte auch nicht, daß dieses Programm auf Java angewiesen ist. Gilt das auch für das “normale” Birar, das ja nur auf Smartphones funktioniert, oder nur für “Briar-GTK”? Zuletzt war es “mediathekview” (nur im deutschsprachigen Regionen bekannt), das alternativlos nur mit Java umgesetzt war. Auch dieses Werkzeug hätte ich aufgrund seiner Funktionalität vor einigen Jahren als Installationskandidaten für antiX vorgeschlagen. Was also genau ist das Problem mit Java (außer daß es nach meiner Erfahrung nicht grade zimperlich mit den Ressourcen umgeht und einen Computer bei ungünstigen Voreinstellungen auch ordentlich ausbremsen kann?

Meine Empfehlung für Briar-GTK basierte hauptsächlich auf den funktionalen Aspekten, die damit angestrebt werden:

– Dieser Messenger soll ohne zentrale Serverinfrastruktur auskommen, so bleiben die üblichen Datenkraken (Google/Alphabet, Facebook, Twitter, Tiktok, Yandex oder wie sie alle heißen, und was grade “angesagt” ist) außen vor. Ich sehe das positiv und erinnere in diesem Zusammenhang an Facebook/Twitter –> Cambridge Analytica / SCL Group ( –> Emerdata). Unkraut vergeht nicht…
    Aber das Erinnerungsvermögen der Nutzer dieser unzuverlässigen Messenger-Anbieter ist leider nur von sehr kurzer Dauer.

– Alle Daten sollen im persönlichen Einflußbereich des Nutzers bleiben, also auf seinem eigenen Gerät, und nicht irgend einer unkontrollierbaren Cloud eines der vorgenannten Anbieter anvertraut werden. Mag sein, daß ich da zu altmodisch denke, aber ich vertraue diesen ganzen Cloudangeboten, welcher Couleur auch immer, einfach nicht, was den Datenschutzaspekt und ihre Sicherheit anbelangt.

– Alle Daten und Metadaten sollen mit einer echten Ende-zu-Ende Verschlüsselung übertragen werden, Datenschutzprobleme müßten damit gut beherrschbar sein. Die Begehrlichkeiten der o.g. Datenkraken, die den Nutzer mit ihren AGBs derzeit fest im Würgegriff haben um mit den gestohlenen Informationen (ich weiß, sie selbst behaupten es sei alles legal) unbemerkt Schindluder zu treiben, bleiben außen vor.

– Es unterliegt keiner Willkür, niemand kann einfach durch Abschalten eines Servers den Stecker ziehen, sobald er keine Profite mehr aus dem Betrieb erwartet. Auch Behördenwillkür wird so vorgebeugt. Das ist grade für Menschen in Ländern mit faschistoiden Diktaturen ein wesentlicher Aspekt, um an unverfälschte Informationen gelangen zu können, sowie für Journalisten und freie Berichterstatter aus zensierten Erdteilen.

– Es ist freie Software, niemand kann willkürlich schleichend oder abrupt den Betrieb einstellen, indem der Programmcode nicht mehr an modernere Betriebssysteme oder Hardware angepasst wird, nicht einmal die Anbieter selbst können das. Solange ein Bedarf besteht, werden sich Menschen mit den entsprechenden Fähigkeiten finden, die es weiterführen, weil alle erforderlichen Informationen offenliegen. (Beispiel dafür, wie es normalerweise läuft, aus einem anderen Bereich: Nvidia z.B. ist grade dabei zu versuchen, aus meinem gut funktionierenden Notebook einen Haufen Schrott zu machen, indem sie die nötigen Informationen für die Treiberaktualisierung unter Verschluß halten, zugleich aber die benötigten Treiber aus ihren eigenen aktuellen Paketen entfernt haben. Das meine ich mit “den Stecker ziehen”, in diesem konkreten Fall läuft es auf faktische Enteignung hinaus.)

– Bei Ausfall des Internets (z.B. im Katastrophenfall) soll der Service im Nahbereich weiterhin funktionieren. Ich vermute, daß die Geräte in diesem Fall per WLAN oder Blootooth ein lokales Netz aufspannen.

– Mein Eindruck nach der Programmbeschreibung ist: Es ist für normale Nutzer leicht einzurichten und zu handhaben, niemand soll sich erst jahrelang in die Thematik einarbeiten müssen, um in den Genuß einer manipulationsfesten und sicheren Kommnuikationsplatform zu kommen. Die großen o.g. Anbieter konnten sich nur etablieren, weil ihr Angebot für alle Menschen leicht zugänglich ist. Das ist bei allen anderen Alternativen, die mir bekannt sind nicht so, ohne Monate-oder Jahrelange Einarbeitung und informationtechnische bzw. kryptographische Grundkenntnisse ist eine Installaton oder der Betrieb nicht denkbar. Das ist eine große, unüberwindliche Hürde wenn es darum geht, totalitärer Massenüberwachung durch Privatunternehmen im Internet etwas entgegenzusetzen, was von einer breiten Nutzerbasis so selbstverständlich genutzt werden kann wie Facebook & Co.

– Briar-GTK ist das Bindeglied für Briar zwischen der mobilen und der Desktop/Laptop Welt. Diese Funktion bieten schließlich auch die etablierten Messengerdienste. Wenn diese Brücke nicht funktioniert, können sie das Projekt eigentlich gleich beerdigen, mit so einem Mangel könnte es sich nicht durchsetzen.

Ich kann nicht einschätzen, ob dieses Programm seine Versprechen einlösen kann. Ich werde also keine Hymne darüber anstimmen, schon gar nicht ohne es selbst in Betrieb gesehen zu haben. Hinsichtich seiner Sicherheit muß ich mich ohnehin auf die Expertise von externen Audits verlassen. Einen ersten gab es (https://briarproject.org/raw/BRP-01-report.pdf), ein zweiter soll angeblich nach Abschluß der Entwicklung durchgeführt werden.

Grüße
    Robin

P.S.: Du siehst, ich brauche keine starken Schultern um Deine berechtigte Kritik an meinem Vorschlag anzunehmen (doch, die habe ich trotzdem). Denn Du hast völlig recht, ich kann das Innenleben des Programms nicht beurteilen. Übrigens vermisse ich in Deiner Antwort Deine immer wieder erfrischenden, den Kernpunkt plakativ treffenden Bilder. 🙂

Am Ende sind es immer die antiX Entwickler, die entscheiden müssen, ob ein Vorschlag in ihr Konzept passt oder nicht. Wir Anwender können das Für und Wider darlegen, um eine möglichst gute Entscheidungsgrundlage zu bereiten. Und da bin ich, was Kritik angeht, völlig schmerzbefreit. Wenn sich irgend einer meiner Vorschläge aus einer anderern Perspektive betrachtet als völliger Blödsinn herausstellt, bin ich froh daß es erkannt wurde bevor irgend jemand viel Zeit und Mühe dahinein investiert hat.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 23 hours ago by Robin.
    • This reply was modified 4 days, 23 hours ago by Robin. Reason: fixing some typos

Even when facing the constant danger of somebody pouring cold water on my proposals 😉 , here another two programs which could be a “nice to have” in full antiX ISO (well, I do know how to install them when not present, so it doesn’t count for me whether they are preinstalled or not. But many people even might not be aware of their existence at all)

xournal
    pdftk

both very handy tools when you have to deal with pdf files.

(I really like cold water)

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Robin,

You searched for a secure communication tool for us to use in antiX, if it is not secure, as mentioned by skidoo, fine, let’s go to the next one …
    Will we be able to get another safe and non-invasive privacy solution that works on antiX? This tool that I don’t know the name or the existence of, also interests me. Does this communication tool interest anyone else?

using this example because I trust the person who mentioned briar-gtk has broad enough shoulders to bear some criticism…

The translation of the part of having “shoulders broad enough to withstand some criticism” (laughs), sounds to me, as something similar to what they did with the human beings who were enslaved, where the foreman would often flog in order to demonstrate power and control over the subjugated people.
    That is why I believe that we do not need more “overseers”, we need more teachers and teachers, this is what I perceive and find here, people who share their knowledge and who help each other. We already live in a tough and cruel society, but this reality is not the same for everyone, we live in different countries and I venture to say it in totally different “worlds”. I can’t even express myself in English …

We will continue to look for a solution to keep “to keep alive a free and uncensored communication”. If other people are interested and have other suggestions, I believe that who will most benefit from this will be all antiX users.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Robin,

Você buscou uma ferramenta de comunicação segura para usarmos no antiX, se esta não é segura, conforme mencionou o skidoo, tudo bem, vamos para próxima…
    Será que conseguiremos uma outra solução segura e sem invasão de privacidade que funcione no antiX? Esta ferramenta que eu não sei o nome ou da existência, também me interessa. Será que esta ferramenta de comunicação interessa há mais alguém?

A tradução da parte de ter “ombros largos o suficiente para suportar algumas críticas” (risos), soa para mim, como algo semelhante ao que faziam com os seres humanos que foram escravizados, onde o capataz açoitava com frequência em forma de demonstrar poder e controle sobre as pessoas subjugadas.
    É por isso que acredito que não precisamos de mais “capatazes”, precisamos se mais professores e mestres, é isso que percebo e encontro aqui, pessoas que compartilham o seu conhecimento e que ajudam, uns aos outros. Já vivemos em uma sociedade dura e cruel, mas esta realidade não é igual para todos, vivemos em países diferentes e me arrisco a dizer em “mundos” totalmente diferentes. Eu sequer consigo me expressar em idioma inglês…

Vamos continuar procurando uma solução para manter “to keep alive a free and uncensored communication”. Se outras pessoas se interessarem e tiverem outras sugestões, eu acredito que quem mais ganhará com isso serão todos usuários do antiX.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Marcelo, because of good people like you, there is still hope for people of many different origins and backgrounds.

We all breathe, we all are human beings. Thank you for your kindness and concern for people.

Brian Masinick

namida12namida12

Automount entry antiX, just to be sure pls check in ~/.desktop-session if automount is enabled.

automount-antix &

automount-antix &

#configuration file for auto-mount script
    #goes in ~/.desktop-session

automount=TRUE
    fm_usb=TRUE
    fm_optical=TRUE
    vp_dvd=FALSE
    mp_audio=FALSE
    dvd_command=
    audio_command=
    SPACEFM_OVERRIDE=FALSE
    /

With regards to Streamlight, it was designed with it’s primary purpose to help people download and play antiX help videos.

I’ve tried to use it to download music videos, but many times it doesn’t work, but that isn’t something it’s intended to do. I’m not sure what options are readily available for the music and other video files.

if it is not secure, as mentioned by skidoo

Please recheck ~~ that brief post of mine regarding briar-gtk did not mention security.

or is only the “Briar-GTK” is affected?

As I recall, the java dependency is specific to only briar-gtk.

So what exactly is the problem with that java

In this context…

>>> Do you even realize that briar-gtk necessitates installation of a Java (JRE) component?
    >>> To date, nothing else pre-installed in antiX uses Java, right?

the problem my concern is identical to
    how I might (did?) react to the suggestion of pre-installing LibreWolf
    or how I would react to the suggestion/request to update “yad” to a later version
    -=-
    Both of these depend on gtkwebkit (scusa if I grabbed the wrong pkg name offhand)
    and to date nothing pre-installed in antiX depends on that
    and its addition would add a huge chunk to the ISO
    (or, more specifically, from the POV of a “toram” liveboot user… the rootfs)

—————————

For the record, there are several Java -based programs that I admire, and recommend
    (but would NOT recommend for use on antiX).

FAR (aka “find and replace”, available from sf.net)
    java version of SearchMonkey (for windoze users, available from sf.net)
    a great RegularExpressions tester GUI app, its name escapes me at the moment
    jedit (kickass text editor, inspiration for coding “BirdsEyeView” feature into my bespoke programs)
    freeplane (cross-platform, GUI mindmapper program)

lookit:

$ sudo apt install freeplane
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    ant antlr ca-certificates-java default-jre default-jre-headless freeplane groovy ivy java-common java-wrappers javahelp2
    jmapviewer junit4 libantlr-java libapache-pom-java libasm-java libavalon-framework-java libbatik-java libbsf-java
    libcommons-cli-java libcommons-codec-java libcommons-io-java libcommons-lang-java libcommons-logging-java
    libcommons-parent-java libel-api-java libfontbox2-java libfop-java libhamcrest-java libhawtjni-runtime-java libidw-java
    libjansi-java libjansi-native-java libjaxp1.3-java libjgoodies-common-java libjgoodies-forms-java libjlatexmath-java
    libjline2-java libjsp-api-java libjsyntaxpane-java libknopflerfish-osgi-framework-java libmnemonicsetter-java libqdox-java
    librhino-java libservlet-api-java libservlet3.1-java libsvgsalamander-java libwebsocket-api-java libxalan2-java
    libxerces2-java libxml-commons-external-java libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java libxmlgraphics-commons-java libxpp3-java
    libxstream-java openjdk-11-jre openjdk-11-jre-headless simplyhtml
    0 upgraded, 58 newly installed, 0 to remove and 67 not upgraded.
    Need to get 94.3 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 269 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue?
    [Y/n]

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.