Future antiX

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Future antiX

• This topic has 71 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated Apr 30-3:13 pm by Robin.
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author

Thanks, skidoo, I see your point. Obviously not one of my best ideas to recommend a program which is in need of a complete additional framework not present in antix…

@namida12
    I hope for now this will help. Still not figured out why automounting fails,
    Probably something simple. Run out of time for today..

I was able to read and write to the micro SD.
    Requires exfat-fuse exfat-utils.

Format SD Card with Gparted to empty. If the card is not empty format to exfat fails.

Use antiX USB format tool to format to exfat
    Unmount device cleanly.

As automount is not working (yet), still need to figure out why.
    Make a point to mount your device to.

$ sudo mkdir /media/exfat

Find device, I just tested with lsblk my 8GB card in usb convert reader
    identified as
    sdi 8:128 1 7,3G 0 disk

So to mount my device I used
    $ sudo mount -t exfat /dev/sdi /media/exfat

To unmount the device I used
    $ sudo umount /dev/sdi

— This messenger is said to work without any centralised server infrastructure, so the ubiquitous data krakens like Google/Alphabet, Facebook, Twitter, Tiktok, Yandex or whatever they call themselves, or whatever is the flavour of the month,

I was not aware of Briar until this post. Since it is supposed to be decentralized design it raised my curiosity with my best wishes of success and in our times we do need decentralized way of communication after all.
    My curiosity raised, I am trying to understand (and so far not clear on this) what exactly is this decentralized technology architecture.
    Just to level-base my current viewpoint:
    – Communication technologies based on centralized servers such as WhatsApp, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, etc. are controlled by large corporations and inherently vulnerable to whim of these corporations. If they do not like your political views they just shut you down. Similarly, if a centralized communication is not even owned by any of such large corporation but servers are hosted by a corporation, such servers can be shut down by the host if the host happens to be favoring a contesting political party. Such as in case Parler, shut down by Amazon host. This emphasizes the importance of pursuing truly decentralized technologies for communication and if Briar is one such technology I am all ears since I am all for freedom of speech, which is recently widely suppressed by new totalitarian control instituted in some you would have thought most ‘democratic’ states.
    Such decentralized way of communication I thought to be based on block-chain technology and one one of such communication app is ySign, as I understand having been developed in Germany. I have been testing this communication on both Android and iPhone and seems to work well.
    Having said that, I am not clear what architecture of Briar exactly is. I also hope it actually works in reality, however my testing I have just done on Android phone results in crashing right on login. So hopefully it will be resolved. iPhone version does not exist to my knowledge, so if it can be made to work on Debian/antiX, it would be nice. Currently Telegram is available on antiX, just to mention, and works well from my experience. But Telegram is still a centralized, server based communication, as I understand, although not shutting down users for the reason of their political views as the other ones do…
    So if Briar holds any water, my kudos to the developers…
    Thanks for the info and regards…

@olsztyn, I created a new separate topic to discuss this (and I provided reference hyperlinks), but it is currently stuck in the spamfilter box.

>>>
    trying to understand (and so far not clear on this) what exactly is this decentralized technology architecture.

decentralized, p2p (peer-to-peer) is not a new concept. A quick visit to wikipedia will be enlightening.
    Examples: kazaam, bittorrent, emule//kademlia…

>>> based on block-chain technology
    ooooh, now “more gooder with blockchains”!
    sheeple, and potential investors toward an eventual IPO, they luvs buzzword bingo {rolleyes}

christophechristophe

but it is currently stuck in the spamfilter box.

Fixed now. 🙂

decentralized, p2p (peer-to-peer) is not a new concept. A quick visit to wikipedia will be enlightening.
    Examples: kazaam, bittorrent, emule//kademlia…

Thanks skidoo…
    So Briar is based on P2P technology… I did not see this important detail on their website… The mere mentioning of being ‘decentralized’ did not imply to me it meant as broadly taken P2P, which is not very specific to mw what exactly P2P technology is being used.
    If I am not mistaken, and please correctly if I am wrong on this, protocols employed with kazaam or emule are not the same as torrent protocol as used in bittorent. But I may be wrong, so please correct me…
    Taking a conjecture that P2P protocols used in Briar, which I failed to see on their website, are of the torrent type, taking as an example, does not make it a failproof way of communication, as I believe Internet service providers can block torrent streams, effectively causing communication to be taken down. Again, please correct me if my shallow understanding of torrent protocols made me jump to such conclusion, which is based on common knowledge, not on scientific analysis…
    Blockchain is another decentralized technology, which in my limited understanding does not suffer from being easily taken down. Attempts to use blockchain for text communication is not new, but no serious backing has been dedicated for development, not speaking of not being in favor with governments, so it never matured, until this ySign development in Germany. My disclaimer again is that this is just my understanding…

sheeple, and potential investors toward an eventual IPO, they luvs buzzword bingo {rolleyes}

Indeed. This might be meant to go for an IPO and secure investment funds…
    Thanks and Regards…

skidoo wrote:

A quick visit to wikipedia will be enlightening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P2P_protocols

Reference of P2P protocols you pointed to is indeed enlightening…
    Thanks and Regards…

Bad place for this as OT for future antiX.
    skidoo wrote:
    Hit the nail on the head !!!.

ySign development in Germany ?. Er from ysign
    Über uns Wir sind ein Unternehmen für Informationstechnologie in Malta.
    About us, we are an informationstech company from Malta.

Read documentation on the website: Behind the fancy marketing splurb is
    an advertising company who want to sell Crypto tokens.

Everest Marketing Solution Limited, It looks rather like that company
    is UK registered and in liquidation since May 2020.

They even have a guy who went to “The university of Germany”.
    Might just as well write the university of hogwash.
    There is NO University of Germany.

Trust I have minus unending number, smells something like blockhead fishing.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by ModdIt.

After reading a strange antiX review on distrowatch (from 2021-02-08), I noticed the reviewer complained about not being able to easily add icons to the desktop and “no updates”.
    At least the “no updates” question (I’m assuming the reviewer was expecting a update notifier in the system tray) could be avoided by having antiX updater’s icon on the toolbar by default.
    The “add icons to the desktop” could be “solved” by providing a small script that allows to copy .desktop files to the desktop (or not, so user friendly, but much more pratical to the dev team- a small help file showing how to add icons using rox or spacefm managed desktops – of course, all that could also be on a “welcome screen” icon (not a nagging pop up, that was veted by anticapitalista), on be default on the desktop- to make user’s life easier – not so much we can do for missing wireless drivers that user complains…

P.

I’ve written code to add entries from app-select to whatever your current desktop is or toolbar, but I think the plan was to make it a separate package. The new app-select is very customizable.

Again a recommendation for a nice helper tool for possibly including in future antiX:

“translate”

It’s a translator written in python for the terminal commandline, using official apis from wellknown online translators. You can chose which you’d like to use best. For the moment there are present:

— mymemory.translated.net
    — translate.microsoft
    — deepl.com

Example output:

demo@antix1:
    $ translate-cli -f en -t zh “This is a pen.”

Translation: 这是一支笔
    ————————-
    Translated by: MyMemory

There is a commandline option to get back the translated string only, so its output is highly scriptable.

Documentation: Manual

Please note, this recommendation is only checked from the point of view of usefulness and handling, not whether there are technical obstacles in integration to antiX, but I didn’t observe any difficulties while installing on antiX 19.3 recently apt-upgraded.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Robin.
Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.