Gamers – steam

Forum Forums General Software Gamers – steam

This topic contains 36 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by stevesr0 May 14-5:23 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    noClue
    noClue

Steam runs nicely and fast under antiX.

I completely agree on both points — for us who know it.
    Some new Linux user used to a ‘Windows way’ might not.

Windows way is: open the web browser, click “Install Steam”, click “Execute” and a couple of times “Continue” and — “End”.
    You’re good to go and ALL games will be working.

As of Proton, it might, or it might not.
    http://www.ocsmag.com/2018/08/27/steam-play-let-the-games-begin/
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/46500/discussions/0/2592234299537417737/
    https://www.gog.com/forum/syberia_series/play_syberia_1_on_linux_with_wine

There are many other similar links, but that’s Google’s job.
    All I wanna say is: Steam on Linux is still a bit more complicated to install and it’s much more of a hassle.

MMORPG’s are sometimes also pretty much problematic — finally you got it to run, one week later, on the next game update, you can start fixing it again.
    Game optimized drivers you’ll never get and graphic cards themselves are usually having higher frame rates in Windows — all games are optimized for Win.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

caprea
    caprea

The huge and shiny picture above shows exactly the way you should not ( don’t do it, wrong way, never) use to install steam on antiX.

This may leads to confusion.

So again, this is the way to go with antiX.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/gamers-steam/#post-19480

Attachments:
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Thanks caprea – that is indeed how users should install steam on antiX. (Could it be any easier?)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

techilliterate

In my experience (in the little I’ve tried it) Steam works fine and the games themselves play well, however there is one little problem: many games don’t have any sound. I’ve ran it through the console and on offending games I keep seeing these (or similar) messages.

ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_equal.so
    AL lib: (EE) ALCplaybackAlsa_open: Could not open playback device ‘default’: No such device or address

For some background to this, I installed the 64-bit version of antiX (Steam is 32-bit), and the only sound settings I remember changing was the default device by using the “alsa-set-default-card” script (config files are untouched). I’ve also had no issues with audio outside of Steam. I’m brain dead when it comes to Linux audio, so I’d appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by techilliterate.
    noClue
    noClue

First you should check if your USER is a member of AUDIO group.
    If you’re lucky, that was it already and you’re up and running.

If not, I wouldn’t bother for long, searching what library you’re missing.
    Instead, go to Wine HQ homepage and do the full manual installation.

caprea
    caprea

Hi techilliterate, wild guess,

are libasound2:i386
    and libasound2-plugins:i386

installed ?

techilliterate

First you should check if your USER is a member of AUDIO group.
    If you’re lucky, that was it already and you’re up and running.

Unfortunately that isn’t the case, I’m already in Audio.

Hi techilliterate, wild guess,

are libasound2:i386
    and libasound2-plugins:i386

installed ?

Yes. I also installed libasound2-plugin-equal:i386, but forgot to mention. I also forgot to mention I was using headphones, if that makes a difference

I tried testing other games and was getting different errors, so I assume it is a problem with libraries. I have absolutely no idea how to solve this, but I’ll keep fiddling around some more. In any case, it seems Steam is more finicky to get running properly than most people claim, unless I did something wrong.

caprea
    caprea

I once had to delete the hidden .alsaequal.bin in home, to get the sound to work in steam.

Is the libasound_module_pcm_equal.so present in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/ , or not ?

noClue
    noClue

I can’t give you a solution but maybe some clue.

Here is my story…

I was installing Linux Mint 19.1 (64-bit) and the user wished a Windows game, MS Office and Photoshop.

First I installed PlayOnLinux because POL offers a nice ‘bottle management’ that’s lacking in Wine.
    There was no sound.

Then I installed Steam for Linux and, (apart of many games not working) it was missing sound.

At the end, I went to Wine HQ website, picked up ‘original Wine’ (== not from the repositories) and installed it.
    The sound was suddenly working.

However, after some weeks and after the user had a chance to learn Wine with all it’s quirks, I did a reinstall.

Under Windows 10, everything is just working.

techilliterate

I once had to delete the hidden .alsaequal.bin in home, to get the sound to work in steam.

Is the libasound_module_pcm_equal.so present in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/ , or not ?

I tried deleting .alsaequal.bin but it didn’t do anything. Also no, I don’t have that file in that directory.

I can’t give you a solution but maybe some clue.

Here is my story…

I was installing Linux Mint 19.1 (64-bit) and the user wished a Windows game, MS Office and Photoshop.

First I installed PlayOnLinux because POL offers a nice ‘bottle management’ that’s lacking in Wine.
    There was no sound.

Then I installed Steam for Linux and, (apart of many games not working) it was missing sound.

At the end, I went to Wine HQ website, picked up ‘original Wine’ (== not from the repositories) and installed it.
    The sound was suddenly working.

However, after some weeks and after the user had a chance to learn Wine with all it’s quirks, I did a reinstall.

Under Windows 10, everything is just working.

I tried it but it didn’t work.

I’ve tried all of this on my desktop and my laptop, as well as using a different default sound card, just to make sure it wasn’t an issue specifically with me or the headset I was using. It doesn’t work on either, so evidentially it’s not

noClue
    noClue

Again, I can’t help but, maybe some clue …

1. You should check your pavucontrol (PulseAudio) during the game running … some sound components were shown only when/if active (if I still remember correct).

2. There are also some sound settings inside the proton bottle itself (bottle == specific profile; Wine offers only 1, POL allows multiple).
    (with this I mean not only a choice of which dll library to use but also, the choice on input/output devices –> ‘wine tricks’)

3. Some games are broken in Windows and need Windows hacks (extra Windows libraries that have to be added to the bottle in use).
    (Example: https://www.indirectsound.com; Windows version specific — every bottle can use another WinVer ’emulation’)

4. I assume you made it sure that your 64-bit antiX has full 32-bit support enabled and you have Wine 32 & 64-bit.

5. Usually it’s a Wine version that’s causing a problem — POL allows for different versions in paralell.

6. If you have multiple bottles, each needs all the libraries installed separately.
    (Ex.: 5 bottles == 5x ‘font smooting’ installed; 1 per bottle)

Once I had some program that wouldn’t work, no matter what. After installing the dev-libraries, I finally got it up and running.
    (In Synaptic, you can see the application ‘quark v. whatever’ and than also ‘quark-dev v. whatever’)

Dev-libraries might bring some additional API’s but’ it’s a ‘shot in the dark’.

All in all, if you’re into gaming, Linux is not a way to go.

P.S. Probably trying to search for something like ‘no sound +GAME_NAME +proton +steam’ will bring you further than waiting for help in antiX forum.
    After you got it all nice up ‘n’ running, a new game update rolls in and nothing works again … especially often the case with MMORPG & anti-cheat –> change the O/S.

skidoo

trying to search for something like ‘no sound +GAME_NAME +proton +steam’

will likely find better targeted results by using specifics from the error message to craft the websearch query:

ALSA Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_equal.so
    or
    AL lib ALCplaybackAlsa_open Could not open playback device default

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by skidoo.
    noClue
    noClue

@ skidoo

Yes, that too, for sure — if it’s the only problem and not only the first one,
    after which the next ‘unable to …’ follows, which might happen too.

Little bit of extra reading doesn’t hurt.

caprea
    caprea

noClue, the answer you gave here shows once again that you have neither experience with antiX nor with steam on linux.
    antiX doesn’t use pulseaudio, nor has steam anything to do with wine. It’s absolutely not nessecary to install wine for steam, nor can it be a Wine version that’s causing a problem.I wanted to stay calm, but this is such a bullshit, I can’t.

noClue
    noClue

Truth … if it would work out-of-the-box, you wouldn’t need to install full Wine, PoL and PulseAudio.
    But, if it would work, there would also be no question ‘why it doesn’t have sound’ in here.
    If one installs all of the components, the chances are better that it’ll work.
    At least for a couple of weeks, when some update will kill it.

One can see it one way or the other …

P.S.
    Steam without Wine is worth nothing. A bunch of j*** and a handful of good games.
    It’s only, Wine for Steam has to be activated after initial install is over.
    Wine for Steam is called ‘Proton’. No wine, no fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.