Gamers – steam

Forum Forums General Software Gamers – steam

This topic contains 36 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by stevesr0 May 14-5:23 pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    caprea
    caprea

Proton is proton, is great btw, is baked in and doesn’t need to be installed,only activated.

The question of this thread was for sure not “Wouldn’t it be the easiest if we all install windows, like noClue?”
    If you can’t set another accent here, then why don’t you just let it go.

noClue
    noClue

“Underneath the hood, Proton comprises other popular tools like Wine …”

https://www.protondb.com/

Proton is Wine, is same as ‘good and reliable’ as Wine and Wine might eventually get better one day, in
    some very, very distant future because of Proton (== Steam paychecks to Wine developers).

Other ways, the issues that Steam gamer is facing with Proton are often exactly the same as in (and because of) Wine.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

caprea
    caprea

“Underneath the hood, Proton comprises other popular tools like Wine and DXVK among others that a gamer would otherwise have to install and maintain themselves.”

The very fact, you thought wine needs to be installed in the right version for example, shows me, you never really been into steam on linux.
    And like I said, if you can’t set another accent here, ….

noClue
    noClue

You’d better watch out that false conclusions don’t get your habit.

I had a game which didn’t run properly over Steam Proton and
    which I got up an running through the PoL and a different
    Wine version. Proton is Wine inside Steam bottle.

It is simply Wine and it uses the shared libraries of Wine + O/S.
    That’s also why installing full 32 & 64 bit Wine might help.

However, gamers want to play games, not to fix O/S.

P.S.
    Many Steam games are getting installed through the Steam but, they don’t
    need Steam to run (all free games that I ever tried, worked without).
    Steam is actually just a ‘Unified Launcher Interface’.

It plays a role though, when it comes to ‘License Management’.
    (Will say, paid programs might or might not run w/o Steam)

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

stevesr0

@ anticapitalista,

I just purchased a gaming laptop.

Not because I am a gamer, but because I wanted a machine with backlit keyboard WITHOUT a touchscreen, and one capable of “decent” graphic performance.

The main thing I am interested in is making proper use of the two GPUs such computers share.

So far, I have been able to boot a live usb of antiX but I notice that moving windows shows artefacts – as if the window is being redrawn.

I think I need to figure out how to deal with things like Mesa and maybe bumblebee, etc.

So for me, it would be nice if there was a gamer package to install on antiX that included all the programs that need to work togther to use both GPUs properly.

That would be useful for me to use antiX for “regular” tasks, for trying out gaming and for any other graphic intensive tasks I might try in the future.

stevesr0

caprea
    caprea

stevesr0, without knowing your hardware in detail, did you try a live-usb of the alpha build of the upcoming antiX-19 ?
    It would be interesting if it gives better results, because it’s based on buster and has all the newer mesa stack.

stevesr0

@ caprea,

No. I had tried “updating” mesa and other programs to a live USB of antiX. That just made it not boot.

I will give that a try, tho.

I am very unfamiliar with having two video cards and switching between them. It seems like a very complicated thing. That’s why I responded to anticapitalista’s query…

I will post after I have a chance to try that.

thanks.

stevesr0

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.