gauging interest for a prospective English-only respin

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins gauging interest for a prospective English-only respin

• This topic has 11 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Sep 6-1:49 am by Anonymous.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

This topic is a followon to the Aug 2021 “bloat” discussion: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/bloat/

Overall, I’m unsure that 3+ people will find absolute agreement regarding what should // should not be contained within a separate release, aka respin.

Using the wonderful antiX remastering tools, anyone can easily respin from a stock release… so, why bother doing so?

As a monoglot, I typically use bleachbit + handcrafted hitlist to pare down the localization files pre-installed by antiX+debian.
      The absence of those (25,000 to 30,000 files) significantly lessens the liveboot+toram session overhead.
      Also, after additionally running “dpkg-reconfigure locales” and installing package “localepurge”… “apt update” operations are jawdroppingly faster because the pointless (on my system) retrieval of myriad package translations is no longer necessary.

====================

Because the “English-only” aspect so easily achievable, I don’t feel that detail, alone, merits a separate release.
      What else might we (agree to) pare from a prospective separate release?

calciumsodium

I am interested. I respect all members across the world. But I only know how to speak English.

olsztyn

I am interested. I respect all members across the world. But I only know how to speak English.

Although I am very much interested in various languages and can understand and read quite a few I am also very much interested in this English only streamlined antiX. I am all for it and it would be great if this could be accomplished.
          So what would it take to do this? Not being a developer I am not clear how to proceed with skidoo’s plan…
          Thanks very much for suggesting this, which appears to me a significant, enhancement…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

christophe

I appreciate what you are asking about, skidoo.

I, however, am instead interested — if you would consent to create it — in using a tips & tricks instructional tutorial of doing what you have done. I have taken to going “toram,” lately, and your tactic sounds useful to me. So, even if you do make a respin, I would like to see a how-to, if you would like to write one. (If not, then no hard feelings, of course.)
            EDIT:

Ah, fooey! I see it’s already done! (So thanks!)

I agree, and (FYI) across past antiX versions, I have posted a variety of “howto debloat” tips/pointers…

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-get-spacefm-in-french/page/3/#post-55001
            ^— bleachbit, remove localizations (frees 220MB files-on-disk)
            https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/using-snapshot-to-shrink-size-for-iso/
            ^— installation of “localpurge” package prevents re-installation of translation files during future package install//update operations
            https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/possible-space-savers-for-base-version-if-when-it-can-no-longer-fit-on-cder/#post-28181

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Forum Admin
            rokytnji

And here I’ve been paring mine down manually with dpkg-reconfigure locales.
              Yeah. Spacebar and scrolling.

Interested. I will sit on the fence and look see on what else is suggested to leave out of full iso.

Edit: Like is it gonna cater to newer gear or older gear. Like links2, etc……

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
              I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
              Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
              How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

Not interested at all.

Edited: I see skidoo has added some more info to their original post, which I do agree with.
                antiX has given users the tools to easily remaster/snapshot to the users desires.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

@Skidoo- I do agree with your statments- sometimes it may be useful do have our own spin- it may be to shed weight from stuff you don’t need (localization files) or for other reasons (like my transformation pack that mainly performs cosmetic changes)…
                  End users can acheive the desired end results in 3 ways:
                  – the initially proposed “respin”
                  – using a “fool proof” how-to- that may even be a “sticky post”, or entry on the wiki, etc
                  – using a script to automate all the changes that need to be done (the way I went with my transformation pack)

I do see your point- you consider the default antiX setup has some features you don’t need- I agree, it has some features that I don’t need either, but since I would have little benefit if I removed the unwanted packages (and, since I don’t have a complete grasp of the inwards of the system- I always recommend that people DON’T DELETE any default package they think they don’t need- they-or me- may end up messing up the system).

P.

Wallon

If I use Google Chrome in English, I have Belgian TV sites that don’t work. Like some kind of DRM protection. In Linux, you can’t change the language of Google Chrome, the language is linked to the installation language. On Windows, you can change the language! Beware, more and more sites in Belgium only work with Google Chrome and I find this very sad. So a monolingual OS will be less and less successful.
                    Wallon

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

Won’t another chromebased browser work like

Vivaldi: Vivaldi is a freeware, cross-platform web browser based on Chromium developed by Vivaldi Technologies. …
                      Brave. …
                      Deleted microsoft edge mnention.
                      Epic Privacy Browser: …
                      SlimBrowser: …
                      Torch: …
                      Comodo Dragon:

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

Off-topic posts moved to here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/moved-woes-of-windows-google/

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

seaken64

I assume the “How-to” will also work for other languages? I am interested in learning how to trim the fat. If a single language is all that is needed for a user than I like the idea of being able to trim out unneeded language support. But up til now I have just run everything as default. I do notice that some updates take a long time and I see the language and locale stuff being updated. But I usually don’t care about the time it takes. I am usually doing something else while updating another system. But I do have couple of system with small hard drives (6 or 8 GB) where a savings in disk space could be useful.

Seaken64

Anonymous

the initially proposed “respin”

Really, skidoo was not, is not, “proposing” to do this.
                            The OP was actually intended to diffuse the notion of doing so
                            “Because the “English-only” aspect so easily achievable, I don’t feel that detail, alone, merits a separate release.”

I assume the “How-to” will also work for other languages?

Yes, the bleachbit + “dpkg-reconfigure locales” + localepurge steps mentioned in the prior topics I linked are applicable to any language ~~ retain only the localization files the one (or 3) languages that are appropriate for you and your local users.

From memory, the bleachbit step reports “deleted 22,000 files, totalling 230MB”.
                            That is 230MB “files on disk”.
                            Per (anticapitalista’s?) testing, an isosnapshot operation afterward yielded an ISO which was only 30MB smaller
                            but “only” is relative. That 30MB difference may be significant from the POV of a “toram” liveboot user when booting a resource-limited system ~~ that 30MB shifts the threshold regarding how soon swap will be necessary. For my POV (across several years, booting liveUSB and maintaining primarily diskless workstations) an extra 30MB per snapshot, or per each full backup fileset is, cumulatively, quite noticeable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.