General Forum conduct

Forum Forums News Announcements General Forum conduct

• This topic has 28 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated May 5-10:30 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Yes, if only they will TRY what is already built into the system FIRST…

If they don’t like it or whatever, and it is really important to them, THEN look for other solutions, hopefully starting with the ones that are DESIGNED to work on antiX or MX, or Debian, or Linux, or on Linux via Wine, or at LEAST have source code, LOL, in THAT order!

Somebody posted a sticky on that…

It gets frustrating (more for them, I bet) if they turn things into a big mess installing all kinds of odd things and as a result things don’t work. But it’s also sad to see that happen, when things could be good instead.

Yes, RTFM, I think that’s a song they sing on some distros. They must hate people or something. Man is good, and how to’s, and wiki’s and manuals are great, especially if accurate and containing examples, even more so for doing really tricky things, but the BIG point is Programs should work how a sensible person might EXPECT them to work, to do normal day to day tasks, and then the confusion, problems and complaints will be minimal.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by BobC.
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

We have been doing REALLY WELL as a community forum in being respectful, patient with those who are beginners, just learning, or perhaps older learners, or someone who has been away from Linux systems for several years.

I want to commend those who provide helpful tips, yet occasionally share humor. Skidoo is someone who has outstanding technical skills and communicates very well, yet also manages to slip in occasional (sometimes frequent) humor.

One of my friends who is an excellent photographer, @Linuxdaddy: typically shares his art; he photographs nature scenes, every day indoor and outdoor items that sometimes make extremely attractive images – you might even consider several of them if you like to vary your personal wallpapers every now and then.

Unexpectedly one of his pictures of his cat, “Olive”, struck my “funny bone” because it reminded me of “Sheldon Cooper” (a character on a long running American TV show, “Big Bang Theory).

I told @Linuxdaddy: how his note caught me laughing, and he also said that he was familiar with the show.

My point in all of this – though we DO NOT want to distract from the main point in a topic, but if something strikes you in a humorous way, a short comment is acceptable. If you want to tell jokes, in general it would be better to go to the “Cafe” or a non-technical thread. — Still, if a short comment strikes you as funny — I don’t think a “one liner” will detract — skidoo provides plenty of examples of sharing excellent technical information with a touch of humor — that’s a good example to follow.

Keep up the GREAT work! WE have an excellent distribution and an equally excellent forum community, together it emphasizes the excellence of antiX (and occasionally “antics”). 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

Len E.
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Brian:
    I’ve recently tried to submit a post under Tips and Tricks
    but my submission is rejected with the error message,
    **forbidden contains contacts Message seems to be spam **

The submission contains a reference to a competitor forum
    which has an essential component to the overall technique
    being described.

Is there any “legal” way to submit the post.
    I’ve attached a text file containing the
    contents of the proposed submission.

Please advise.

Len E.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Len, Why not just try creating it again, but just put in the topic and a short general description of the document, and attach your text file like you did above.

I don’t see anything in spam to approve, so not much I can do.

Its not a competitor thing. It just that it see all sorts of links, I think.

And if it won’t let you do even that, just edit your post above to be what you want to post in Tips, and I’ll move it for you 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.
    Len E.
    Helpful
    Up

Hi BobC:

I just tried out your suggestion, and it worked !
    Thanks for guiding me through this.

Len E.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Hi BobC:

I just tried out your suggestion, and it worked !
    Thanks for guiding me through this.

Len E.

I’m glad it worked for you. Thanks BobC for your assistance. Best wishes in your use of antiX and in each day, may your experiences encourage you and others to be a further encouragement to others, whether it’s in using software or whether it’s helping someone in need. Kindness is contagious!

Brian Masinick

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Seems it is neccesary to remind posters
    A Public forum is just that. Public, the internet never forgets.

Regarding requests for assistance: I am working together with syboks kind help on a Quality assurance designed matrix. Intent is to steer questioners in to a problem solving direction and provide helpful information for other forum members and experts when providing assistance. At present too much time wasted asking for details or pointing in a fact finding direction and getting non helpful answers, but still demanding assistance.

This will go up for further comment and for a short period open for further input. these kinds of projects, as I know from long years of quality work in aero engine overhaul and parts repair planning and operator training often seem never ending..

In case of further threads repeatedly blaming applications, providing only presumptions instead of clear evidence and/or where a helper using simple and problem related search terms can find a solution within minutes would in my proposal be answered very simply: DuckDuckGo. and problem as a search term.

If a user insists on repeatedly posting opininionated non factual posts in themed threads other than the Cafenio said user should not be surprised when his post are moved or removed.

Further reminder: other forum members, moderators, devs are helpers are neither paid nor slaves. Patience and good manners are in some cases a missing virtue. I experience a sense of shock when I PM another member and repeat the thanks and appreciation I have posted openly on the forum.

All the more important in these troubled times, appreciate what is being done for you, by devs, especially anticapitalista, by skidoo who is sadly in ill health but still gave us among other assistance slimski and zzfm, by Frequent helpers like PPC Xecure Christophe, translating team who are doing a fantastic job.
    Please nobody feel left out if you are constructive and helping others in the global village of antiXia.

My heartfelt thanks and appreciation for your dedication. Keep safe and well, take care of yourselves and th9ose around you, sadly the pandemic is just starting
    in earnest.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Another reminder for everyone.

If we cannot or don’t want to answer to a topic, the best option is to NOT continue the conversation. We are very few and cannot deal with every topic that pops up and may require experimentation and testing.

If we have a criticism about someone or something, better be objective, concise and DONT make it into a personal attack or a place to interchange insults. Better to remain silent and not go into a debate. I have been doing this myself for some topics, where there have been insult to institutions, other distros, other developers, other tools or other forum members. I don’t want to deal with this and ignore the topic entirely.

We try to provide some solution or workaround, but as every system is different, be it because of different hardware or we are using different software to the one provided by the distro, we may not be able to resolve the issue or provide any good assistance. We unfortunately can only relate to our experience, and we are not experts, not in the Linux kernel, nor in the many tools provided by the distribution.

We are here as volunteers, and try to help when we can. If we cannot, we just need to leave it to someone else or leave it unanswered. Better to follow this and keep enjoying the forum as a peaceful community, where we try to provide help when we have time or when we can give some assistance. We are much closer to having the same knowledge as the OP of any topic. Even though many people come here assuming we are experts, we may know even less that the OP and may not be able to provide any help at all.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

The General Forum Conduct was clearly stated on December 9, 2020 at 7:16 PM.

Moddit and Xecure have each provided reminders.

Please show regard and consideration for others in order to keep the forum useful, and to keep the Forum Administrator or Moderators from being forced to take additional action. Thanks!

Brian Masinick

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I agree that if the problem is unreasonable, ie I can’t reproduce it, and especially if it’s not with antiX default installed programs, I just don’t reply, and see if someone else might pick it up, or the op will need to find another solution themselves, and the thread goes to “thread heaven” eventually.

No need to get upset over any of these. We should do what we can to help if we can, and try to be nice, and expect to be treated nicely in return.

stevesr0
    Helpful
    Up

The idea of a guide for newbies (and oldbies) on appropriate conduct is a great idea. It is good to emphasize that there are a relatively small number of really knowledgeable contributors who can provide expert guidance and they should be appreciated and treated with loving care.

As a permanent newbie, I limit my “helpful” comments to those specific cases where the poster’s problem seems like one I have run into.

So, mostly, I am one of those asking for help.

I am OK with failure to respond or a gentle nudge to stop bringing up a problem I have.

(And yes, I do try to search the forum and the internet at large for similar problems and (ideally) their solutions. It is an ongoing personal growth experience <g>.)

stevesr0

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

General Forum Conduct Policy

Here are some common forum rules that have been published on various sites that provide general, reasonable guidelines for forum conduct:

What are the rules for a forum?
    No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

Post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

Respect other users. No

flaming

or

abusing

fellow forum members.

If one or more of these guidelines are ignored, comments may be deleted. Repeated instances of abusive language or impolite behavior may result in not only message removal. Blatant abuse will result in forum account suspension or removal.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

One of our moderators informed me that during my absence there were some inappropriate posts and comments made. If anyone persists in this manner, they are at risk to
    1) Have their posts modified or removed and
    2) If the behavior persists, they will be removed from the forum.

This is not a frequent problem, but we have seen an increase in this type of problem over the past couple of years, and the policies have been posted and reminded before.

By commenting here, and bringing this thread back into view (plus the link to these policies is also available), each of us is reminded that though this forum is public, the privilege of contributing here is contingent on asking reasonable questions, and providing others with useful, helpful advice (without adding sarcasm or rude comments). Threatening others is immediate grounds for revocation of membership in this forum.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Another reminder for everyone.

If we cannot or don’t want to answer to a topic, the best option is to NOT continue the conversation. We are very few and cannot deal with every topic that pops up and may require experimentation and testing.

If we have a criticism about someone or something, better be objective, concise and DONT make it into a personal attack or a place to interchange insults. Better to remain silent and not go into a debate. I have been doing this myself for some topics, where there have been insult to institutions, other distros, other developers, other tools or other forum members. I don’t want to deal with this and ignore the topic entirely.

We try to provide some solution or workaround, but as every system is different, be it because of different hardware or we are using different software to the one provided by the distro, we may not be able to resolve the issue or provide any good assistance. We unfortunately can only relate to our experience, and we are not experts, not in the Linux kernel, nor in the many tools provided by the distribution.

We are here as volunteers, and try to help when we can. If we cannot, we just need to leave it to someone else or leave it unanswered. Better to follow this and keep enjoying the forum as a peaceful community, where we try to provide help when we have time or when we can give some assistance. We are much closer to having the same knowledge as the OP of any topic. Even though many people come here assuming we are experts, we may know even less that the OP and may not be able to provide any help at all.

I removed a few posts today.

If any of them belonged to anyone who is wondering, the posts do not meet forum guidelines.

Another infraction will result in removal from the forum.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.