General Forum conduct

Forum Forums News Announcements General Forum conduct

• This topic has 41 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated Aug 2-3:16 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

General Forum Conduct Policy

Here are some common forum rules that have been published on various sites that provide general, reasonable guidelines for forum conduct:

What are the rules for a forum?
      No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

Post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

Respect other users. No

flaming

or

abusing

fellow forum members.

CLARIFICATION: If one or more of these guidelines are ignored, comments will be deleted. Instances of abusive language or impolite behavior will result in message removal and account removal.

Forum conduct reminder; the language used a few times this week necessitates another reminder; hopefully we will not have another escalation leading to the removal of participants.

anticapitalista has added a strong note more than once –
      Any spam users are removed and account deleted without notice.

Any users stirring up conflicts outside of the general forum guidelines will also be removed.

Hopefully most of you don’t even notice; we’ve removed several offenses in the past month. I’ve received a couple in my Email that I was ready to remove. If it was overnight or when I was offline they were already removed by the time I returned, so the policy is clear and the terms are not lenient.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

--
      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

General Forum Conduct Policy

Here are some common forum rules that have been published on various sites that provide general, reasonable guidelines for forum conduct:

What are the rules for a forum?
        No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

Post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

Respect other users. No

flaming

or

abusing

fellow forum members.

CLARIFICATION: If one or more of these guidelines are ignored, comments will be deleted. Instances of abusive language or impolite behavior will result in message removal and account removal.

Forum conduct reminder; the language used a few times this week necessitates another reminder; hopefully we will not have another escalation leading to the removal of participants.

anticapitalista has added a strong note more than once –
        Any spam users are removed and account deleted without notice.

Any users stirring up conflicts outside of the general forum guidelines will also be removed.

Hopefully most of you don’t even notice; we’ve removed several offenses in the past month. I’ve received a couple in my Email that I was ready to remove. If it was overnight or when I was offline they were already removed by the time I returned, so the policy is clear and the terms are not lenient.

As the antiX 23 release approaches, I want to remind everyone about appropriate conduct.

We’ve cleaned and cleared out the offenders of the past, but with an imminent release comes the possibility of issues; be forewarned that this community is NOT one that allows flame wars – a guy like Linus, at least before “conduct training” probably would be banned from a place like this, in spite of his outstanding technical ability.

Technical ability does not guarantee a forum membership here; anticapitalista has the privilege of saying whatever he wishes; he’s the founder; he can of course decide, and also change the rules. As of this moment, this is what we have upheld.

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Another site I have found in the past year or so, http://dev.to/, has published and UPDATED their Code of Conduct.
          It’s here: http://dev.to/code-of-conduct

Some of the things are specific to their site; others are VERY applicable to us too, so I’m mentioning them now.
          Quoting portions of their page:

“Our Standards
          Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:

* Using welcoming and inclusive language
          * Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
          * Referring to people by their pronouns and using gender-neutral pronouns when uncertain
          * Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
          * Focusing on what is best for the community
          * Showing empathy towards other community members
          * Citing sources if used to create content

Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

* The use of sexualized language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or advances
          * The use of hate speech or communication that is racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, sexist, or otherwise prejudiced/discriminatory (i.e. misusing or disrespecting pronouns)
          * Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
          * Public or private harassment
          * Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission
          * Plagiarizing content or misappropriating works
          * Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting
          * Dismissing or attacking inclusion-oriented requests

Moderators have the right and responsibility to remove comments or other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct or to suspend temporarily or permanently any members for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.”

As you can see, these go into more specific detail than our formally stated General Forum Conduct Policy and our written policy, at least for now, applies. I would, however, recommend that if we adhere to these additional statements, everything will go smoothly.

This is the second post I’ve written today on this matter today; hopefuly it is VERY CLEAR that everyone should be respectful and appropriate at all times.
          If you are thinking of saying something, consider what it would sound like coming from someone else directed specifically to you; if it would bother you in any way, it may bother someone else too. The VAST majority of our participants have done a WONDERFUL job, and are normally VERY helpful to others. However, each time there is a change, especially something that attracts occasional or first time users, it seems necessary to reiterate what is considered appropriate behavior. The Dev forum goes further than we have, mentioning inclusive language and other things; I think keeping a kind, considerate and helpful tone and attitude goes a long way, so if you are kind and considerate, you probably won’t need any other guidance!

--
          Brian Masinick

techore

Brian, you have the content for a formal “Code of Conduct” for the forum. 🙂

Being a moderator is a lot of work and your efforts and the other moderators are very much appreciated.

Thank you, moderators, for ensuring we have an environment to safely ask questions or exchange ideas on antiX without distracting prejudices.

Xunzi_23

Where these posts came from is very obvious

Obviously accusing a person of multiple offenses without clearly specifying exactly what is meant.
              With exception of calling out truths about USA being called bashing or spreading hatred.

accusation of spreading hatred is considered acceptable.

Neutral or now Pro USA far right style truth distortion is seemingly new moderation support norm.
              Posts I made not considered offensive by all except one person who obviously gets the support of
              the moderators.

missing from guidelines, mobbing individuals defamation truth distortion

Now ban me and be a happy bunch of neo colonial, increasingly faschist anti LGBT and in south
              history distorting pro american state policy posters…

Mr Masinik, Please delete my user and username.

On a site

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Xunzi_23.
              caprea

As far as I remember political discussions have always been allowed in antiX forum.So I can not imagine that Mr. Brian Masinick here alluded to you,Xunxi_23.Can this please be clarified before a long time member has his account deleted?

Xunxi_23, it is quite clear on which thread you are referring to. No moderator has even admonished you in this thread.
                There was no reason for it.Do you really think that a moderator has to come here now so through the back door to walk?

(Edit:I admit that Brian’s reminder sounds a bit like a threat and I quite briefly wondered whether I might be meant here.)

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by caprea.
                Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

Now ban me and be a happy bunch of neo colonial, increasingly faschist anti LGBT and in south

I take offense at this. Do you really think this?
                  If you do, just leave.
                  You are not getting banned because you haven’t done anything to warrant a ban.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

As far as I remember political discussions have always been allowed in antiX forum.So I can not imagine that Mr. Brian Masinick here alluded to you,Xunxi_23.Can this please be clarified before a long time member has his account deleted?

Xunxi_23, it is quite clear on which thread you are referring to. No moderator has even admonished you in this thread.
                    There was no reason for it.Do you really think that a moderator has to come here now so through the back door to walk?

(Edit:I admit that Brian’s reminder sounds a bit like a threat and I quite briefly wondered whether I might be meant here.)

What I am concerned about is that the number of people who join the forum and create havoc typically happens at two different times and/or events:

1) Just after release we often have new members join. The vast majority of the members are kind, helpful people. It’s that small minority that concerns me.

2) Near the holidays, particularly Winter holidays, is another time when mayhem has historically broken out.

I didn’t mention anyone who is currently a member, but if adhering to principles of kind words and helpful behavior bothers anyone I suggest limiting comments to technical matters except in the Greek cafe’. Even there, consideration of others is expected at all times,

If that’s too much to ask this is the wrong place to be; otherwise my Moderator privilege would not be available to me.

I’m here to help people and keep the forum a helpful place to ask questions, have fun and share technical and cultural experiences.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Political content is fine as long as it’s in an appropriate topic.

Clearly our leader has strong political opinions and that’s fine; just keep them in the right section and not in the middle of a technical conversation and everything is fine.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Where these posts came from is very obvious

Obviously accusing a person of multiple offenses without clearly specifying exactly what is meant.
                        With exception of calling out truths about USA being called bashing or spreading hatred.

accusation of spreading hatred is considered acceptable.

Neutral or now Pro USA far right style truth distortion is seemingly new moderation support norm.
                        Posts I made not considered offensive by all except one person who obviously gets the support of
                        the moderators.

missing from guidelines, mobbing individuals defamation truth distortion

Mr Masinick, Please delete my user and username.

On a site

I do not intend to remove you. I am a US citizen and I am grateful to live where I live. I do, however appreciate that some American political policies have caused direct harm to others.

Just as not all Russian or Ukrainian people or Japanese or Chinese for that matter – do not necessarily agree with everything that happens in their country, the same is true in every country. For every policy that a government anywhere exercises there are those who agree and disagree with them.

In the last job I had there were people working together that were from countries in Europe and Asia that have fought throughout the ages. The vast majority of the people who were members of that project were interested in the work. Occasionally I’d get an opportunity to learn about another culture and sometimes share about my own background. None of us attempted to change anyone but we were very interested in the rich diversity of food, culture and technical expertise we each brought to the team.

I’ll never chastise or squelch any difference of opinion or a different value as long as the words do not attack or threaten people; that’s all we intend to do; I definitely value difference of opinion as long as those opinions do not lead to offensive confrontation with others.

--
                        Brian Masinick

caprea

Political content is fine as long as it’s in an appropriate topic.

Brian, we agree about most of the things here,it is very important that no one is personally attacked and insulted,
                          but it must also always be assessed whether someone just feels like that.
                          A normal flow of the forum where help and tips can be shared must be possible and can not be prevented by provocations or silly disputes.The above statement of you, however, I can not share.Well, even your own last post gets almost political and I couldn’t answer to it without getting political.Politic is a big part.

Brian Masinick

My point about political discussions is to put them in the appropriate topic category.

If we’re discussing the latest kernel, the only relevant thing in that case is the kernel.
                            If we’re in the cafe that’s an entirely different matter; that’s where political opinion is welcome;
                            we definitely are not discouraging such things; after all, the whole emphasis that antiX puts out
                            there does suggest conflict and discussion in those areas.

Those matters can be disagreed upon without name calling, racial slurs, etc.
                            Does that clear up anything? I guess I’m missing what is disturbing about this discussion.
                            Please help me out in a constructive way; as you can see here, we are discussing this
                            without resorting to unkind words, and this kind of discussion, disagreement and debate
                            is completely fine and acceptable.

--
                            Brian Masinick

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.