Global search GUI for antiX

Forum Forums General Software Global search GUI for antiX

• This topic has 175 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Jan 13-9:33 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    ile

Hello PPC and Everyone
      FinderRC3 installed to debian sid system all works. installs of tgpt and ddgr are good.
      This system substituted their icon in the fallback name yad.png, so it even has the system logo. cute.
      Congratulations.

PPC

Thanks for testing, everyone!

@marcelo – the current version of the script already shows that information, not on the title of the window, but on the top part of the window. It would be redundant to show the same message in the title.

@ile – replacing the default yad.png for the OS logo? Great idea!

Probably later today, I’ll try to send the current version of the files to anticapitalista.

P.

PPC

@anticapitalista – I attach the final version of the script, including Wallon’s language file- I can’t really work with gitlab (I even renamed by fork of the “Finder” project, forked the project again from your main one, tried to edit the file and commit to your git, and yet, I got a message saying my *newly* created fork was outdated)… Sigh
          Please upload the files to the proper folder, in your git. I noticed that “Debian” folder, on your project, included a folder mentioning “antix-firewall-toggle”. You may want to check that…

P.

Brian Masinick

@PPC I checked out this “final” version and it continues to function as expected;
            I was able to check each option this time with positive results.

--
            Brian Masinick

PPC

@PPC I checked out this “final” version and it continues to function as expected;
              I was able to check each option this time with positive results.

I’m glad, Mr Masinick – the script is already in antiX’s Git, the language file is already up for localization, at Transifex… It seems this will be the default “search app” in antix 23.1, replacing Searchmonkey (I was afraid I would not be able to finish it in time)- thanks to Sybok, and the help of everyone (including you) that tested it and eventually found bugs or made useful suggestions, and Wallon, that took care of the details of the localization, I think the end result will be a polished little script, easy to use, and useful…

I can already see newbies complaining that the “GPT button opens a window that shows a strange error! Please fix it!”… Fortunately, when it works, it’s usually a great feature, to find the answer to almost anything, in many languages (that’s why I decided to include it). I’ve been using it more and more to get help to help my scripts…

P.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by PPC.
              • This reply was modified 3 months ago by PPC.
              Brian Masinick

Are you referring to this message @PPC?

“Some error has occurred. Statuscode: 401
                {“error”:{“message”:”Your OpenAI account has been deactivated, please check your email for more information. If you feel this is an error, contact us through our help center at help.openai.com.”,”type”:”requests”,”param”:”fk-u_QlB_lBWQC7WOHT0Njrxwq********************”,”code”:null}}”

It took me 3-4 tries to get this message; some of my searches with GPT came up empty but did not generate an error.
                In any case, of the four finder options, GPT is the least critical, in my mind; all that is necessary is to create and open an account; that’s not something I’m interested in doing right now; maybe at some point in the future; we’ll see what happens.

I expect the majority of searches to take place with the Files menu as the first choice, the Web would probably be the next choice, and the Apps/Settings could be useful within the system even though App Select can provide a similar service; clearly the tool will be quite useful for some people and extraneous for others; all of us know this, but I still enjoy and appreciate your creativity and stimulation to try simple tools to build lightweight tools that work with low overhead.

--
                Brian Masinick

ile

Hello Mister Brian
                  Topic entitled “AI, no registration needed”
                  You are One to soak in all help documentation.
                  Making tgpt attractive.
                  None of this applies to tgpt:
                  Can save you reading up to the part about
                  method account limit query fifty per three hour period.
                  method pay per click measurement per-token input.
                  You can pick up reading where is described
                  ai three modes assistant, system, training

PPC

Dear Mr. Masinick – yes I was referring to similar errors (or blank screens, a new kind of error that started happening).
                    I consider Finder V.1 finished, but I regret not adding some error handling to the “GPT” part of the script: in case of the response was just empty text or included the string “Some error has occurred. Statuscode”, an error yad window stating something like “This resource seems to be currently off-line. Please try again later” – so people don’t complain there’s something wrong with the script… Maybe in a next version, 1.1, for example…

Ile is right, as far as I can tell, tgpt uses some kind of third party service that provides credentials, so the users don’t have to enter any credentials themselves. I didn’t even try to read if this kind of AI can be accessed via terminal, entering any credentials (that is something that I do not want on a script made by me).

P.

Brian Masinick

I agree with both of you.

It’s an interesting approach.

While there is no rush to change anything, the next time an update is added, I suggest adding error handling to every possible section. Who knows if there are any other errors conditions we have not encountered?

If every input, output and calculation is checked for unexpected results it will add to the size of the code but it will also ensure a robust solution that has no surprises for someone who is using the tool.

Again, no hurry, this is quite useful in the current state.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I agree with both of you.

It’s an interesting approach.

While there is no rush to change anything, the next time an update is added, I suggest adding error handling to every possible section. Who knows if there are any other errors conditions we have not encountered?

If every input, output and calculation is checked for unexpected results it will add to the size of the code but it will also ensure a robust solution that has no surprises for someone who is using the tool.

Again, no hurry, this is quite useful in the current state.

--
                        Brian Masinick

ChPol

Web searches with finder

No results after ten or so non-consecutive attempts. Test in terminal show :

Internet : ok
                          [ERROR] HTTP Error 202: Accepted
                          No results.

Test with one word, two, quotation marks…
                          Error 202 indicates a server saturated or too slow for the response: processing is in progress.

Just the result for the average user. I’ll make another return if the situation becomes functional again (or not).

ChPol

Search for “debian” using the Web button
                            No results, early morning

ChPol

Finder used directly without terminal
                              Search for “debian” using the Web button.
                              No results. White window.

PPC

@ChPol – on my work desktop computer (in my office) where I’m currently, Finder’s web search works perfectly. This computer uses antiX 22. Later I’ll check on my antiX 23 and 23.1 computers at home, and I’ll try to figure out if there any problem with ddgr for antiX 23 (it’s the app Finder uses to perform web searchs)

P.

ChPol

@PPC
                                  I’m using an up-to-date version 23 installed on hard disk. I have no firewall, the Internet works, DuckDuckGo on Firefox is my default search engine and finds the “Debian” site without a problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 176 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.