Got a "new to me" Wireless Multimedia Keyboard

Forum Forums General Hardware Got a "new to me" Wireless Multimedia Keyboard

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by rokytnji Aug 18-7:17 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BobC

It has a key for everything…

My plan is to make sure my IceWM is setup so that any keys that would be used do what I would expect.

Attachments:
    BobC

Here is my old Logitech wireless multimedia keyboard. Many laptops lack complete keyboards and it drives me nuts. After 40 years to get it right, it boggles my mind that we still don’t have keys that do what you would expect when you press them.

BobC

This is my old Dell 620 keyboard. It’s not very good, but not the worst. At least it has function keys defined to make up for some of the keys that were left out.

masinick
    masinick

As far as keyboards included by major manufacturers, I’d say that most Dell keyboards rank somewhere in the middle to upper middle.
    As far as keyboard feel and response, though not necessarily the lightest, before IBM sold out to Lenovo they had some of the best OEM keyboards from a computer vendor.
    In spite of this, no major computer vendor makes the top keyboards. Those are made by companies that make only peripherals, usually only keyboards. Logitech is a good manufacturer; there have been a few others through the years that have made excellent keyboards. Since I don’t see much about them, I’m not sure how many of the great keyboard manufacturers are still in business. Do you happen to know more about the top keyboard producers today?

Brian Masinick

BobC

Yes, I have a real IBM keyboard that weighs in at about 10 pounds and has a the real feel and click from the dinosaur days from back in 1991. Unfortunately it has lost 1 key cap and has no windows key.

I spent $4.99 on the fancy MS one. I shudder to think what it must have cost new.

My newer desktop keyboards are Logitech’s but are basic models with no extra keys.

masinick
    masinick

How does the Logitech model compare to the IBM and the Dell in terms of “finger feel”?

Some people prefer a really light touch, but I prefer knowing by “feel” whether I pressed a key sufficient to typing a letter, number, symbol, or function.

My guess is that all three of them, even with age, feel better to the touch than 75% or more of the products you can purchase – more than that if looking at off the shelf consumer PCs and laptops.

Brian Masinick

BobC

The Dell desktop keyboards are similar to the Logitech’s in my mind. The are both better than the cheapo’s but nothing to write home about.

The IBM is ancient, but in a class by itself. It was built in the days when some people were willing to pay for quality.

The fancy MS one is the closest to the feel of the IBM. It doesn’t have the big click but seems more solid than the Dell or Logitech.

Anonymous

Do you happen to know more about the top keyboard producers today?

Yes, but I’ll let you ask the Google on that matter.
    Just use the search terms “keyboard cherry XX”.

… Where ‘XX’ stands for a type of switches:

https://gaminggem.com/cherry-mx-mechanical-switch-guide/

https://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

Speaking about Cherry, they also sell some fine keyboards themselves.

Unfortunately it has lost 1 key cap and has no windows key.

Lost key cap is not a big deal — simply order a new one.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/

However, it’s maybe a better idea to get the brand new, ‘good ol’ IBM’ instead.

Yeah, build quality is worse than any cheapest cheap cheapo for 2.99, but since it’s “Made in U.S.A.“, it’s to be expected.

Nevertheless, you’ll get brand new buckling spring, Windows Key and USB Keyboard — made in U.S.A. and pretty cheap.

Just don’t try to use it for gaming — you’ll get very disappointed.

And … good luck with your neighbors. 😉

masinick
    masinick

I did locate multiple articles about keyboards, including a couple of comparison articles. I’ve seen them in the past too. I was more interested in the opinions of BobC and others who currently use or have recently used keyboards not sold with commodity hardware. I’m not planning on buying anything, just interested in personal experiences with keyboards. If neither time nor money were an object and I actually was in the market for an alternative keyboard, I’d almost certainly choose a “mechanical keyboard”.

There are quite a few keyboards in this category that approach the total cost of used computers that I usually work with, so this has simply been a conversation, not a search for information. Like anyone familiar with the Internet, I’ve researched such things several times over the past thirty years. 🙂

Nevertheless, thank you for the information; it may be useful to someone else who happens to read this thread.

Brian Masinick

BobC

I’m not planning on buying anymore keyboards anytime soon, and if I did, I would get one similar to one of the ones I already have so that I wouldn’t create myself any new problems. I was just getting tired of all these different but all badly laid out laptop keyboards and looking to solve it with $10 or less and get something of decent quality. That probably isn’t going to be found available new, but old and used, it’s doable.

That said, it looks like the Cherry keyboards also have quality options available.

BobC

Maybe your keyboard doesn’t have the arrows and such marked on the keypad keys?

Ps, sorry shaky pic

masinick
    masinick

I consider the feel of most common keyboards to be “spongy”. They’re not difficult to press, but without carefully checking either the display or your hands on the keys it is difficult to ensure that the correct keys have been pressed, in
    Sharp contrast to an old typewriter or a mechanical keyboard.

If you are reading something and attempting to write some notes it can be difficult. If something can be copied and pasted in those situations it is helpful.

The Dell desktop keyboards are similar to the Logitech’s in my mind. The are both better than the cheapo’s but nothing to write home about.

The IBM is ancient, but in a class by itself. It was built in the days when some people were willing to pay for quality.

The fancy MS one is the closest to the feel of the IBM. It doesn’t have the big click but seems more solid than the Dell or Logitech.

Brian Masinick

ile
    ile

I prefer my old keyboards. my favorite is like your ibm and has a customised block of wood attached under the top edge for a kickstand. a bit newer, a emachine standard.
    PS2. Getting away from the favorites as the newer machines have no PS2.
    I have more ps2 keyboards than i have ps2 machines. good ol’ keyboards.
    When shopping hands-on for a new portable pc there is little difference in the keyboards no matter the price. msi maybe. I have a hp portable with a great springieyish metal key keyboard. the thinkpads are good. old dell is good. I dislike those island chiclet things that turned from expensive to cheap.
    The old favorites are PS2 and the old wireless eat batteries faster than quick. Have you ever helped someone with their computer to find that the markings are worn off the keys? all blank. I have.
    New usb and inexpensive is better. New wireless the batteries last longer.
    When someone asks me for a recommendation on buying a laptop, I say type on them and pick the keyboard you like best. What’s inside will be pretty much the same. Pick the keyboard you like. It is that important.
    On the quest for more keys for more shortcuts, best of luck with that BobC, even with a keyboard roadmap i would be lost with the extra dozen keys.

BobC

I agree. I like a click, too.

PS:If I get some time next weekend I will program any missing multimedia keys on the MS one for antiX 19.

It will be cool to press one obvious key and have the right program just pop up almost effortlessly.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by BobC.
    ile
    ile

Hello BobC You like extra keys. check out Gear Head KB5850W with fifteen extra keys, or KB3600MPU with nine extra keys, the KB5000WDR with ps2 has fifteen extra keys, the KB5975W has twenty extra keys (and found available, some of these are limited to find.)
    I have a Gear Head KB4950TPW totally happy with it for seven years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.