64 bit Respin for ex-Windows Non-technical users

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins 64 bit Respin for ex-Windows Non-technical users

• This topic has 33 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 25-1:09 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BobC

See last post for most up to date version
    —————————————

Its based on antiX-19.1_x64 full, upgraded to 19.2, with IceWM version 1.6.4. Thanks to all the devs and contributors here that did that 99% of the work.

Most differences are what I would call tweaks in how it looks or works under IceWM.

Setup with an autohiding, doubleheight toolbar that allows a lot more space to have an icon for every commonly used program.

Includes “helpnotes” based on zim (script mostly created by skidoo), with a default IceWM screen, and also do it yourself Helpnotes for any active window application.

Includes a few more games like SnakeDuel, Solitaire, Minesweeper, Nibbles, Sudoku

Icons for Youtube video and music downloads, based on the URL in the clipboard

Defaults to SpaceFM file manager and includes XFE as well

Wallpaper changer that allows you to edit the pictures, includes pics based on ones from Linuxdaddy and Wildstar as well as some downloaded and some of mine. You can add more if you like, and tweak them into good backgrounds

Low memory requirements, no volumeicon, apt-notifier runs when needed (IceWM being a version back is keeping it running currently)

Modified conky, nothing crazy, just more info.

This is obviously experimental, but I’ve run it both via flashdrive and installed to hard drive on 5 machines. The way it’s configure it would be best to have at least 1440 x 900 resolution, and I would suggest 1 gb of memory and 15 gb disk space for a hard drive install. I am running from 4 gb USB-2.0 flashdrives as well as a 32 gb USB-3.0 Fast SSD.

Standard antiX performance and all standard antiX programs included

see newer links below…

Let me know if you try it and like or dislike features, or find problems. I can also create a 32 bit version if there is anyone interested.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by BobC.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by BobC.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by BobC. Reason: update topic
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Hi Bob! Now I’m feeling bad that I have no spare usb thumbdrive to put this iso in and test it…
    The Zim help file was a brilliant idea… I tend to use the slimest toolbar possible, but I do also use auto-hide, in my small netbook screen…
    Is there any change in the idle RAM use, may ask?
    Also- I’ve been working in a new Toolbar Icon Manager that allows the user to move the icons around… interested?

P.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I have only been running it from flashdrive or installed, but I would think it should work from Virtualbox straight from the ISO as well. I saw anti had updated antix-goodies again, and the toolbar icon manager included is version .9

As far as idle ram, it’s similar, but for the time being the apt-notifier will run due to IceWM being at 1.6.4, since autohide got broken in 1.6.5. The bug is fixed, but won’t appear till the next release.

It takes time to enter the Helpnotes for each application, but for me that is pretty useful. I did some tweaking to code skidoo came up with for that. If anyone adds a Helpnotes screen for any other programs I can add them to the files. IceWM’s are in, and I’ll be putting some effort into Midnight Commander next.

PS: and yes, if you have new toys to add, let me know. I’m not really planning major changes but not opposed to trying new tools and happy to include them…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by BobC.
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Here is memory usage with apt-notifier, 2 Firefox windows with a bunch of tabs, XFE file manager, and Helpnotes all running. The big memory user is Firefox, but that’s not something I can control.

Attachments:
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Got my Midnight Commander Helpnotes screen done tonight. I learned a few more things that I didn’t know while researching for it. I think I will change my default editor to be Tilde, as I work with MS Win10 all day, and need the copy/paste to function normally, or it gets frustrating…

Attachments:
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up

Hi, Bob

Here’s the code for the “beta” Toolbar Icon Manager v1 – https://pastebin.com/zJXgUnJ6

If you, or anyone else, want to test it – open the link, copy the raw code and paste it into a empty .sh file. Save the file and make it executable… Just run the script
    In your particular antiX spin, you use the upper part of the toolbar as a dock, this script really makes the experience of using toolbar icons as similar as using a “real” dock as possible- you can now:
    1- add any icon you want,
    2- remove any of the icons you have on the toolbar
    3- move any of the toolbar’s icons position (new feature). Granted that the process is not smooth- because the script updates the icon’s position in real time- if you choose the option to move, for example, Firefox’s icon to the left, it really moves instantly to the left, and icewm is refreshed.
    It has security features to avoid moving icons out of the toolbar.

Cons: the constant refresh of the icewm instance running does make it slow when moving a icon many positions… A bot over 1 second each position… That’s why I didn’t remove the “advanced” option- so users know how to edit the config file directly, that’s a very efficient process, sometimes quicker than using a GUI…
    Suggestion- Possible workaround for the con- if you want, I can try adding 2 extra “move” buttons- to the furthest left position and to the furthest right position…- That can be handy for users with as many toolbar icons as you- I have 12 and I think that my toolbar is overcrowded…

Also, having T.I.M.’s icon as the first toolbar icon will add add the icon editing ability to the toolbar itself, making it, for all intents as full featured as almost any other dock available, with no resources cost!!!

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by PPC.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Just so you know BobC, I have built new icewm-1.6.5 with the autohiding, doubleheight toolbar bug fix.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

anti, that’s great, Thanks!

I’ll refresh my code and put in another post when I’ve got that and PPC’s new Toolbar Icon manager tested and implemented, by sometime this weekend I expect. I’m on support 24/7 so right now, as well as doing Dev work, so play time is not as available for the next week or so.

I still am not 100% decided on what to replace MCEdit with. I just can’t deal with the inability to copy/cut/paste with it. Tilde is quite good, but it’s copy/paste conflicts with RoxTerm, so I’m still looking for a better option. I tried Geany, but it’s not so great to be calling it from a terminal. I may give Jed a try again. Still investigating and testing on the terminal editor front. I do use it a lot from Midnight Commander, so would like a good option…

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

To replace MCEdit, I ended up going with ne, which is short for NiceEditor. It’s pretty nice, and works well with ROXTerm. My only gripe is that I didn’t like the colors, and didn’t like that my application specific helpnotes didn’t realize that it was an ne window, and therefore brought up the mc help because I was running it from mc from within ROXTerm session.

I got suspend and hibernate and resume working with a swapfile. Not a swap partition, a swapfile. Very cool. Not sure if I’m capable of making that happen generically for an installed system, but I’m thinking on it. It would be neat to have a script that sets it up without the user needing a rocket science degree…

I added PPC’s new Toolbar icon manager, as well as anti’s fixed IceWM, which worked great (thanks anti!!), and just need to do some testing to make sure everything is functional, and then I’ll upload a fresh copy.

I wonder if anyone tried it? I need to try it with VirtualBox, which BTW is included…

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I came up with another colour scheme for ROXTerm that I called ROXBlue. I then created a wrapper script for ne called ne-roxblue, and changed the .selected-editor for normal users to it as well as putting EDITOR and VIEWER variables in .bashrc and an external editor command to run it in mc’s ini file. The wrapper script also changes the window title to ne, which causes the Helpnotes to work right, bringing up ne helpnotes on Alt+F1 while in the program when called from Midnight Commander, which is where I need it on the F4 key, replacing MCEdit.

I thought more about the hibernate. Obviously it won’t work for everyone. Some systems just won’t hibernate and resume, and I guess if it works it works, and if not, one shouldn’t use it after seeing that it doesn’t work with that machine. It looks like there is a config file, and if I write it, and run the right stuff, and make a few other changes (no small task for me), it should be able to set it up. The difficulties are setting the size and location of the swapfile, and then adding the code to the files it need to be in. It wasn’t that hard for me to do, but to get it to do it automatically will or would not be easy, because it would need to respect things already there, remove previous resume info, and replace it with new. I’m just not sure all that is worthwhile, although it would be nice if it just set it up for me,, rather the me having to do it by hand on each machine, each time I install it to a partition. The cobblers children have no shoes. That’s just the way life is sometimes…

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I was able to get it to boot and run in Virtualbox.

I found that I had hard coded my home directory for a couple of toolbar items. They didn’t work under other user id’s.

I’ve fixed all the problems I found and tested PPC’s improved Icon manager, which I also put onto the toolbar.

I’m uploading the new code, now…

see newer post for newest code link

If anyone tries it, let me know good or bad, what you think…

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

In hindsight, I will go back to tilde for the terminal editor. Its just a better editor than ne, and when you start cutting and pasting things is when you notice it. Ne does have macros, though which tilde doesn’t have, but I typically use the terminal editor for small editing tasks, rather than the big ones where super duper macro capability is needed. At that point geany is probably a better tool.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I now have removed Slim to save the 35 mb it requires on my main system. I have it automatically booting into IceWM X-Windows directly after I login to the console.

I’m just going to upload fresh versions when there is interest. I seem to be creating one or two a day, but its just to be able to test my changes on my test systems.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I got the 32 bit version working. It idles at 110 mb with a 32 mb Xorg and slim running along with the apt-notifier. Not too bad.

The wallpaper at the time was from a wildstar pic…

Attachments:
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

32 bit version of antiX 19.2.1 Full minus LibreOffice, plus games, plus all the other packages included in my 64 bit respin, which includes a full development environment…

see later post for newer links

If anyone tries it, let me know if you find any problems…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.