64 bit Respin for ex-Windows Non-technical users

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins 64 bit Respin for ex-Windows Non-technical users

• This topic has 33 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 25-1:09 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I found a bug…. The screen layout program arandr is only supposed to pop up the first time you run after install so that you have the opportunity to create a layout named default, which it will then use automatically, but it keeps doing it everytime because the .screenlayout directory doesn’t get created unless you explicitly save the layout named default. I’ll fix the arandr bug on the next uploads, but if you have the screen set the way you like it and save the setting named default, it should stop popping up.

I got it working with slim removed for both 32 and 64 bit now as well. You just type your user id and password (demo/demo if live) and it starts up X-Windows and IceWM. I will change the prompt if I figure out how…

My automatic popup network connect seems to work nicely. If you don’t connect somehow automatically, it pops up so you know you aren’t connected and have the opportunity to configure it.

On the 32 bit version I kept it under 2 gb by leaving out LibreOffice. My main objective there is for it to be able to burn onto a DVD for my old favorite 1998 Dual P-III with its 1 gb of memory and 10 GB SCSI Drive. I never use LibreOffice anyway 🙂

I see people have downloaded both the 32 and 64 bit versions, but not sure if I should interpret no comments as a good thing or bad.

PS: I’ll add a post with fresh download links after I upload new files.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by BobC.
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

New link for 32 bit 19.2 version

see below for newest 32 bit version

New link for 64 bit 19.2 version

see below for newest 64 bit version

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

The 22 yr old P-III teaches lessons on software efficiency, and what is way too slow vs what is reasonable. Firefox is hopelessly slow. Palemoon will be the browser. LxTask is too slow, so HTop will be the system monitor. Other than being slow to install due to the speed of the DVD, it wasn’t too bad. I did end up on a treasure hunt for a PS2 keyboard with a Windows key, though, when I realized that I couldn’t press it because it didn’t exist. I added a Win+C key to toggle the Conky Off/On, but couldn’t try it. Back then the keyboards didn’t have windows keys. Luckily I had one on an old XP machine in the basement, and swapped it in to test with.

I will revise my 32 bit spin this weekend to make it perform better. I think I will leave Firefox and LxTask loaded, but not set as the defaults, so that if someone is running memory strapped machine with 32 bit software they can still use Firefox or LxTask if they want to.

Maybe there should be a slot for a “default system monitor program”, just like there is one for Terminal, Browser or File Manager. That way IceWM setups wouldn’t need to be changed to switch.

Oh well, at least everything worked on the old beast….

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I’m uploading the latest 32 bit version. It works well, so no plan to do anything else to it. It is efficient on low memory faster 64 bit systems as well as old 32 bit machines. It includes both Palemoon and Firefox browsers, with Palemoon as the default, easily changed from the control panel. I removed the development systems from it deciding that I probably wouldn’t use it anyway.

I didn’t do anything with the system monitor. Lxtask is fine if Firefox isn’t burying the CPU. The upload should complete in the next hour or so. I’ll be going to bed 🙂

Link for Newest 32 bit 19.2 version
    http://www.mediafire.com/folder/23stcled5whf3/486

As far as the 64 bit version, I’ve been thinking about a “Conky bar” at the always at the top instead of the window on the desktop, but haven’t done anything. Conky is actually more efficient on memory than DWM’s status bar, and its a known, working program, thus my thoughts…

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I see a few brave souls actually downloaded my latest 32 bit version. The Slim delete saves about 5 mb of memory on my smaller machines.

I have dome more thinking on the conky. I’m thinking of just not running conky at all. The only really important things there to me are:

What is the main Help key? If you know that you can find out what all the other keyboard shortcuts are, including the one that turns the conky on and off

How much space is left on the /home or / partitions? That always seems to be an issue. All the time on the 32 bit machines, with their small drives. I seem to hit it while making an ISO or downloading something, especially. I really wish it was built into the window manager on the status bar, but I’m too cheap to pay 25 mb of memory for it using one of the add-ons. The other things the conky shows that aren’t down on the status bar aren’t really things I need to keep an eye on all the time, just nice to be able to see when I want the info.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Interesting, what’s too big and slow really did matter more 20-25 years ago.

I had a Micron 100 Mhz system as my first computer at home in 1995. It ran Slackware and Windows 95. That computer was definitely affected by large workloads and I only kept it for a couple of years.

I had a couple of laptops after that. One of them benefitted from the first broadband home network, so using Web browsing with a really brought up the limits.

I got a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop in 2001 that I kept for 9-10 years and by the time I got rid of it I can remember that the system would swap out processes and that’s the only system I would frequently notice that behavior.

Performance is an issue compared to the latest technology on my current system but no resource is completely consumed at any time, so it’s still useful with efficient software like ours.

Brian Masinick

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

My 64 bit respin has been working well, so I’ll post the current version. Taking out Slim saved over 35 mb of memory on my 4k video laptop, and I added the hints for demo and root password to the issue file so if you are booting from flashdrive it doesn’t present a problem. Once logged in as demo, it takes you into X-Windows IceWM. I don’t generally use the other desktops, but they are still installed.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/4ndxpp4nbswsg/x64

The only things I have left to do are:

I would like to build in the suspend and hibernate functionality, but its quite different for each machine.

I would like a drive space monitor visible in the status bar of IceWM that doesn’t use any more memory or resources that its battery monitor. That’s a pie in the sky objective given I’m not a C++ programmer, but still something I think is needed, and would eliminate the need to run the conky completely. If I can’t do it, I guess I could create a conky bar that would contain it that requires a lot less memory than any of the other available add on programs, but it would still be cool to have it for FREE, memory wise, especially on the older memory and CPU strapped 32 bit machines.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Something I never would have expected is that the 32 bit version has had 5 times as many downloads as the 64 bit version. But I guess we don’t know why because of the silence. That sorta tells me there isn’t enough interest to post any more. But it was a rewarding challenge (ie much easier to support than each machine modified, and all ending up different) and fun to create them.

Is is great that antiX is so capable to allow a lamer like me to literally create my own respins that are updateable, and they are working well on the various machines that I’m supporting.

I’m still trying to figure out that built in disk space monitor for IceWM. It bothers me that I haven’t figured out a way.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Something I never would have expected is that the 32 bit version has had 5 times as many downloads as the 64 bit version. But I guess we don’t know why because of the silence. That sorta tells me there isn’t enough interest to post any more. But it was a rewarding challenge (ie much easier to support than each machine modified, and all ending up different) and fun to create them.

Is is great that antiX is so capable to allow a lamer like me to literally create my own respins that are updateable, and they are working well on the various machines that I’m supporting.

I’m still trying to figure out that built in disk space monitor for IceWM. It bothers me that I haven’t figured out a way.

Could be as simple as the 64-bit users already have antiX (I have both a sysVInit and runit version, 64-bit, current releases), but I don’t recall if it was 19 or 19.1; I update often and don’t always perform a fresh installation and that may skew the statistics if some users do updates and others do installations. The 32-bit systems are generally older and users may be more inclined to download and install because it may be faster to download than to perform operations that take a long time on older CPU models, at least that’s one *possible* reason for the difference.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I enjoyed your efforts and have updated a few of my own scripts because your work made me think about tweaking a few scripts.

Brian Masinick

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, its a long and winding road. You maybe start off in one direction, learn this and that, and find worthy diversions, learning even more along the way. I was lucky to end up with working, supportable systems in the end.

My spins run the apt-notifier when there are updates to do and save the 40 mb of memory when its all up to date. For a CPU and memory strapped 32 bit machine that can matter. And popping up connman’s cmst when there is no connection to make it easy was another good innovation, I think.

Anyway, it was fun. Thanks to those who chimed in or tried them.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I had a few requests from friends who normally run Windows for a non-techie version. Its 64 bit and all up to date as of today. Code changes were kept to a minimum with changes in startup and user signon programs, but no major code changes other than installing Zim and the games via Synaptic.

The changes from x64-full are:

1. Added games
    2. Zim HelpNotes (thanks to Skidoo’s help), both for IceWM Keyboard shortcuts, as well as application specific HelpNotes, including examples for Firefox and MC, with main Key legend in conky
    3. IceWM configuration changes, 4 Workspaces, easier to read Theme, autohiding double height toolbar/taskbar, and most common programs already on the toolbar, including PPC’s Toolbar Icon manager
    4. More friendly unplugdrive-new (with fewer question pop-ups)
    5. Memory efficient Apt Updates setup (saves 44 mb when no updates are waiting)
    6. Screen resolution auto pop-up first time
    7. Connman auto pop-up if not connected
    8. $HOME/bin folder created and added to path
    9. SpaceFM is the default file manager, ROXFiler is also on the toolbar
    10. Icons for Youtube video and music downloads, based on the URL in the clipboard
    11. Modified Conky, nothing crazy, just a bit more info.

It’s setup to be used with IceWM, and not intended or tested with the other window managers. They might work, but might have issues. I left the menu options there to change, just because it was easier than to try to remove things.

Obviously, this is 99.5% antiX and what I did was tweak, so thanks to anticapitalista and the Devs and others like PPC and Skidoo that made it possible. Anyone is welcome to use or implement any of my code or configuration tweaks, as the purpose is just to provide something easy for some friends. If anyone sees anything bad in it, just let me know.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/9opkj7eekeo10

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I grabbed your respin of antiX. Nice job. The only feature that I would change for my own personal use is to keep the taskbar open.
    I’ll check out the configuration files to see how that is implemented; most things are easily changed in a text readable file, something I have always enjoyed about IceWM.

Those who are familiar with configuration know that both IceWM and Fluxbox have easily modified configuration files.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Configuration file ~/.icewm/preferences
    Found it: changed to 0:
    # Auto hide task bar after delay
    TaskBarAutoHide=0 # 0/1

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, Brian, that will work. For those not comfortable with editing the ~/.icewm/preferences file, it can also be done right from the Preferences menu. See pic below. After clicking it to unselect TasBarAutohide, you need to go back to the Preferences menu and click Save Modifications at the bottom.

PS: I took that pic on my main system, and the toolbar option and conky on it are a bit different, but its accurate as far as showing how to change the option from the menu.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.