64 bit Respin for ex-Windows Non-technical users

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins 64 bit Respin for ex-Windows Non-technical users

• This topic has 33 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 25-1:09 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I actually looked at the Taskbar settings and didn’t see it on the menu so I searched and found it in the preferences.

Geek style, I know, but I have been familiar with IceWM (and fvwm too) for 25-30 years, and I have been editing window manager and X server configuration settings long before desktop environments were introduced, so it’s easier for me that way.

Brian Masinick

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, me too, but the purpose of this one is for normal, non-technical folks, that are used to Windows, and trying Linux, and maybe have older hardware incapable of Windows 10 or the fancy Linux distros, and just want an easy to use system that looks nice, and works efficiently and reliably.

I will get an email or call if it gets to editing the file, so I’m happy if they can fix things to be how they want them on their own. Eventually, maybe they will develop confidence to go in and edit this or that, who knows?

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

In the end you (and the antiX Dev’s) were correct that normal type Windows users were happier when I made the taskbar always visible and ran the Rox desktop so they could drag or paste icons onto it to open things they wanted easy access to. If I burn another version of it, I will incorporate those changes.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

In the end you (and the antiX Dev’s) were correct that normal type Windows users were happier when I made the taskbar always visible and ran the Rox desktop so they could drag or paste icons onto it to open things they wanted easy access to. If I burn another version of it, I will incorporate those changes.

Yeah, I rarely do things (in IceWM, Xfce, or any desktop or window management environment) that obscure any desktop element – unless it is something temporary, like putting a specific application temporarily in full screen mode in order to see or read one continuous piece of information. I do not keep things in that mode for very long either; once I’m done, it is temporary and I go back to a view where I can see the task bar and any features that I have enabled.

Some people LOVE to put a lot of images or shortcuts on their desk; that’s not me either, but I don’t design anything to PREVENT anyone from using those features; for me, though, I either create shell command aliases or task bar shortcuts. Clearly these are items of personal preference.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.