Graphical Installer won’t load

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Oct 11-7:04 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    steve_anunknown

Hello!,

I’m trying to install antix 19.4 but for some reason the graphic interface won’t load.

While in the “loading screen” it shoes a message that it “Starts x” (I’m not absolutely sure but I can go through the process again if needed) and then, instead of logging into the graphic environment, it remains on the loading screen. It is not unresponsive though. If I press alt f1 then it goes into the cli installer and asks for root username and password. If I press alt f10 then it returns to the loading screen where nothing happens.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

If it is helpful, I’m trying the installation on a modern uefi laptop (dell inspiron 5480) and I made the live USB using the Live USB Maker shipped with antix. I know that I can just continue with the cli installation but I would really rather install antix using the graphical installer.

Thanks for your time!

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Hi!

I’m trying the installation on a modern uefi laptop (dell inspiron 5480)

If I am not mistaken, you need a 5.X version Linux kernel to support this CPU (intel 8th gen iX), so it will not launch the graphical interface on antiX with the legacy 4.9 kernel (which has better support for older hardware, but no support for new hardware).

antiX 21 (should release at the end of the month) has a new live technology with dual kernel support (you select the kernel edition in the boot menus), and comes with LTS kernel 5.10 which should work for your hardware. You could try the beta 2 ISO or wait a bit for the Release Candidate to come in the next few weeks. I would recommend you try the beta2 just to confirm that it boots properly with Modern kernel 5.10, and so you familiarize yourself with antiX live system before you install the final release.

Regards.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

steve_anunknown
    Helpful
    Up

I understand. I will try out the beta2 iso just to see if it works and I’ll probably edit this comment to post the result. Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

EDIT: I’m editing this comment from the live-usb environment of antix! It booted successfully!

• This reply was modified 4 days, 15 hours ago by steve_anunknown.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

EDIT: I’m editing this comment from the live-usb environment of antix! It booted successfully!

That is great!

Linux is different in that it includes most of the drivers needed for your hardware in the kernel. Every new kernel release includes support for new devices (like intel 11th generation CPUs, new AMD graphic cards, wireless devices, new storage device technology, etc.), but after some time support for old devices is dropped. As antiX is aiming to work on most computers, including ones released before the 2000s, it comes with a Legacy kernel. Newer computers have been a bit of an issue with legacy drivers, so the new hybrid kernel release was devised by the amazing developers here to try to give a bootable ISO for as many systems as possible.

Thanks for testing it out and confirming it works.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.