Greetings From Canada

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Greetings From Canada

• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Mar 3-11:14 am by ModdIt.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hennmann

I’m a new antiX user exploring which would be the best antiX flavor for some of my oldest hardware! My oldest is my very first new purchase, a Pentium III 450 slot processor on a QDI Legend Brillian X p6i440bx complete with ISA slots that I purchased in 1999. ISA slots many wouldn’t even know what they are for I might add.
    Anyway other than handling Windows XP VERY WELL, what is the newest version that would work well on this dinosaur? The last time I ran it I had it dual booting XP and Mandrake 7.0 and both performed very well. Fortunately even though it has an AGP slot, it will accept my newest AGP FX5700LE video card.
    Are there any threads that deal with legacy hardware?

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

wow what a classic. I would try antiX 17.4.1 full as a start and see before any 19 ones. depending
    on ram. the FX card should work on the default Nouveau driver.

welcome to linux and antiX.

Normal == ūüôā
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome.

Only try i386 (32 bits) antiX versions. If you can boot from a USB, you can start with 17.4.1 FULL version. If you can only boot from CD, use the BASE version instead. What you need to test is if you can boot to a graphical interface with normal boot (or safe video mode if normal boot option doesnt work). If you can boot live to GUI on antiX 17.4.1, you can then test a different ISO with antiX 19.3 (base or full) and see if you can boot to a graphical interface with it.

If you have less than 100MBs of RAM, you should not use any of the antiX editions with graphical interfaces and instead use the CORE edition, and stick to cli applications.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hi hennmann,

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

You have not informed us how much RAM is available and whether they are DIMMs.

hennmann wrote:

Yes, there is, “How to use antiX on computers with a motherboard with SIS or VIA chipset”.

As linuxdaddy instructed you, first test the antiX 17.4.1 full 32 bit version, if it doesn’t work, you may have to try the version antiX 16.3 full 32 bits.

I hope you can understand the translation of the internet translator from my text in Brazilian Portuguese to English.

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Ol√° hennmann,

Seja bem-vindo ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Você não nos informou qual é a quantidade de memória RAM disponível e se são DIMM.

hennmann wrote:

Existe sim, “How to use antiX on computers with a motherboard with SIS or VIA chipset”.

Conforme o linuxdaddy te orientou, teste primeiro a versão antiX 17.4.1 full 32 bits, se não funcionar, talvez você tenha que tenatr com a versão antiX 16.3 full 32 bits.

Eu espero que você consiga compreender a tradução do tradutor da internet do meu texto em idioma Português do Brasil para o idioma Inglês.

Quando voc√™ iniciar algum t√≥pico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a op√ß√£o “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear hennmann,

Welcome on the forum.
    As you live in Canada, do you want to install Antix in English or French?

Best regards,
    Wallon
    Antix 19.3 Full
    Belgium

hennmann
    Helpful
    Up

Hi again and thanks. This board is 1998 vintage and was originally intended as PII but a bios flash upgraded it to PIII.
    The information is extremely limited stating maxed out at a PIII 450 but I have seen them with as high as PIII 700’S and they take a maximum of 350 megs of that brutally expensive SD ram back then I remember it being hundreds of dollars but over the years I hoarded a sack full!!
    As it was I purchased it with a 6.4gb hard drive which I still have and working and it took another BIOS flash to allow a 50gb hard drive to work as well.
    The FX5700LE is MSI and all drivers are available and it came into my possession in 2004 purchasing an MSI K8T Neo2fir board with AGP. Later I discovered that this style of AGP is easier to find and is backwards compliant and actually fits in this QDI board. Its also a 128meg card compared to the pathetic 5meg originally installed along with a PCI video card I installed for multiple monitors but the FX5700LE is a multi monitor card as well. What are it’s capabilities? I got a Toledo core 4800+dual core for the K8T and it handles Windows 10 32 profesional very well and they finally came up with drivers for Windows 10 for it which weren’t around when Win10 came out.
    Mandrake and other distros were used on it when they came out and that was back when you had to install totally from scratch and had to know how to set up partitions TOTALLY which in reality should still be the case because it results in lack of knowledge and learning!
    As for the “live” operation, I have very little use for it and it can actually make an OS look bad!!!
    How you may wonder? I was given a mint HP OmniBook F2308KT (designed and sold with Win98/2000) and I believe its maxed out at 248 megs of RAM and try to run live on that! It couldn’t even run Puppy Linux live being run entirely in the ram! I pointed this out to them and we were able to set up a swap partition and install it and it worked great. Not enough ram and it will not work or it will work like crap with a bit more. Installed on the hard drive with a large swap and it runs like brand new with 98 or 2000! There is a reason for the swap partition and having a newer flavor do everything automatically prevents the Newbie from understanding this especially when you just cannot install more ram.
    Now for my 1998 QDI most likely the 5 meg video card will work but I can put the better FX5700LE in it to make things easier to install.

Marcelocripe I can work with a Google translator which I use because I gravitate to 1930’s radios including European and rely on the translator to get around. I’m curious to see what works on this board. Due to the fortune I paid for it back in the day and the K8T makes me keep them and still use them. They still work great for dedicated computers for PDF file manuals I acquired for my vintage radios and cars and out in my garage. Yes I drive cars over 60 years old and my oldest is a 1950 Mercury Sport Sedan and all the parts manuals are PDF instead of dragging out my original OEM manuals I can look at them on a computer.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Hennmann,

Glad you were able to understand the text translated by the internet translator.

Due to the limited amount of RAM, I believe that the ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet2_386-base.iso” created by Xecure can help you, see the details of the most recent tests on page 6 of the topic How to use antiX on computers with a motherboard with SIS or VIA chipset. The consumption of RAM memory around 65 MB for the Rox-IceWM workspace and the consumption of RAM memory of 45.2 MB for the Minimal-Fluxbox workspace, this information is on page 5, click on the links to see the screenshots I took.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Ol√° Hennmann,

Que bom que você conseguiu compreender o texto traduzido pelo tradutor da internet.

Devido a quantidade de mem√≥ria RAM limitada, eu acredito que a ISO “antiX-19-legacy-bet2_386-base.iso” criada pelo Xecure poder√° te ajudar, veja os detalhes dos testes mais recentes na p√°gina 6 do t√≥pico How to use antiX on computers with a motherboard with SIS or VIA chipset. O consumo de mem√≥ria RAM em torno de 65 MB para a √°rea de trabalho Rox-IceWM e o consumo de mem√≥ria RAM de 45,2 MB para a √°rea de trabalho Minimal-Fluxbox, estas informa√ß√Ķes est√£o na p√°gina 5, clique nos links para ver as capturas de tela que eu fiz.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome Hennmann. Yes, there are a lot of us using antiX on old kit. Here a couple of my threads to get you started:

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-the-best-operating-system-for-my-p-iii/
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/still-using-antix-16-in-2020/

I agree with the suggestions to start with antiX 17.4 32-bit. The Base version is a good choice for a GUI and can be booted from CD. If you can boot from USB than use the Full version for a more flushed out experience. But Base is a good starting point and I use it a lot on my old systems.

If you can’t boot from USB you can try using Plop! or use the CD to boot and select the “from=usb” choice on the menus. Search the forum for clues on how to boot from USB when the BIOS doesn’t support it.

I have had success with antiX-19 on P-III machines. Sometimes you have to use boot codes to get a GUI.

I use the Core version a lot. It is setup with a nice Text User Interface and works great on P-III, P-II and Pentium. Especially with limited RAM (256 or less, although I do run antiX in 256 using the IceWM and JWN minimum GUI’s).

In my opinion antiX is better than Puppy and TinyCore for these old systems. It’s a very nice implementation of Debian complete with all the Debian goodness in a very light distro.

Seaken64

hennmann
    Helpful
    Up

Well I dug out my HP Omnibook XE3 with 128 megs of RAM and a PIII 800. Since it is early 2000’s I required Plop to boot from a floppy and then from my USB.
    Now my disappointment and please don’t get me wrong here!
    As I mentioned before running in small amounts of RAM is a total dog!
    I can flip in my Mandrake 7.0 from early 2000’s and instantly start installing instead of this sluggish live struggle. My CPU is basically idling but my RAM is 70+ percent in use and after 1/2 hour GParted finally struggles to open, barely.
    Since myself and others are using legacy hardware, why can’t we have an older method of installation instead of 3/4’s dead live?
    I can flip in the now extinct Mandrake 7.0 and have a full install in about a half hour.
    I’m attempting to install 17.4 and there doesn’t appear to be a conventional method of installation like I’m familiar with from the early 2000’s.
    If my hard drive was easily accessible, I would remove it and do a full partition on a different computer and reinstall it but this is an inconvenient option.
    What are my options for a more conventional installation so I can toss the live?
    Oh and like I mentioned earlier if you want an OS to look questionable, attempt to run it entirely in the RAM and watch it perform less efficiently than a full install. This is often what I did years ago to test drive a new distribution.
    One reason why I kind of went away from Linux was due to using commands in a terminal and finding it difficult to find command information but at least back then I learned how to partition from the start including separate partitions instead of dumping everything in root and very little swap.
    Presently there is Linpus Linux 9.4 on this Omnibook and that OS has been extinct since perhaps 2009. I first discovered it on Acer Aspire One Netbooks back in the XP days where you could get an Acer Aspire One with either Windows XP or Linpus Lite.
    Now on a positive note, the graphics are fantastic and very modern looking on this almost 20 year old laptop. If Windows 2000 ran very well antiX should perform better.
    There is a second RAM slot and I think this HP might be capable of 512 megs.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi hennmann,
    HP says
    128MB of 100MHz SDRAM standard (PC100)
    512MB maximum system memory (two slots available only for memory modules)(144-pin/3.3V; 1.25-in slots)
    Much better than the 128 you have now.

Regarding your comments on running live, depending on the system new or older it has distinct advantages and at times disadvantages.

on a 12 year old system with 8GB ram live is running just as fast and efficient as installed. With regular remaster the boot time is short too.

On a memory strapped machine modern distros struggle, so much has changed since 2000.

regarding getting up and running, plenty of friendly help here in the forum.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.