Greetings from Greensboro, NC

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Greetings from Greensboro, NC

• This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated May 4-5:21 am by HarryAllan.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am a new Antix user who tried out this distro to breathe continued life into my Acer AspireOne netbook (32-bit Intel Atom CPU and upgraded from the original 1GB of RAM to 1.5GB and with a 160GB hard drive, but a 1024×600 screen). I do have an HD monitor attached which works just fine at 1920×1080.

I am interested in Antix primarily for its low RAM resource usage but also a useful graphical desktop that also is low resource.

As I am writing this, I have Firefox, Thunderbird and VLC (playing a podcast) open at the same time, and my RAM usage is 632MB out of my 1.48GB of my precious RAM.

This makes the “under-powered” Acer AspireOne into a useful small portable computer and lets it continue to be functional for the time being.

I truly appreciate the folks who are maintaining and improving this Linux distro.

As soon as I get my new installation set the way I want it, I would like to be able to contribute the effort in whatever way my skills can allow.

XecureXecure

Welcome to the antiX forum!

Giving live to 32 bit systems, that many distros have abandoned, is part of antiX’ magic.

Let us know if you have any problem. We may be able to help.

Welcome!

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Hi DrTechnical,

Welcome to the antiX Linux forum.

If I understand correctly the translation of your text into my language, you are experienced and this is very good. I’ve been learning a lot here on the forum with people.

I help as I can, as I learn more I can help more, for a better antiX every day.

Even if you are experienced, I recommend you to read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie and How-to install applications – 2020 version.

I am also reviving several computers with less than 2 GB of RAM with antiX.

I will send my texts translated by the internet translator, I hope you can understand everything.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá DrTechnical,

Seja bem-vindo ao fórum do antiX Linux.

Se eu compreendi corretamente a tradução do seu texto para o meu idioma, você é experiente e isso é muito bom. Eu venho aprendendo muito aqui no fórum com o pessoal.

Eu ajudo como posso, à medida que eu aprendo mais eu consigo ajudar mais, por um antiX cada dia melhor.

Mesmo você sendo experiente, eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutorias criados pelo @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie e How-to install applications – 2020 version.

Eu também estou revivendo vários computadores com menos de 2 GB de memória RAM com o antiX.

Eu enviarei os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet, eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Greetings to Dr. Technical in Greensboro, NC from a retired northerner now living in Greenville, SC.

Welcome to the antiX forum!

Brian Masinick

Welcome Dr. Technical. Yes, I also am happy that antiX supports the 32-bit machines. I have several of them, including a similar Netbook to yours.

One thing I have noticed is that some websites peg the CPU at 100% due to running scripts. I have made good use of SeaMonkey with NoScript to deal with that. Firefox can be used also. On the web you sometimes have to be creative to get an acceptable speed of work. But off the web these early machines can still be quite useful.

Welcome to antiX!
    seaken64

Welcome aboard!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by HarryAllan.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by HarryAllan.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.