greetings & install show-stopper

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX greetings & install show-stopper

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Mar 24-1:07 pm by fatmac.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

EDIT: I’m going to cross-post the problem I’m having over to the general discussion forum…

Hello from Virginia’s snowy Shenandoah Valley on the 2nd day of Spring, 2018. (2018….how did that happen?)

I’m a long-time Linux user that has finally settled on Debian as the base; rcently encountered a link to AntiX. It is a very impressive achievement and all those that have worked on bringing it to the 17.1 stage should be proud of their efforts.

I am trying to install the 17.1 base x86_64 version on a Wyse Z90D7 thin client (1.64GHz dual-core AMD T56N processor; 4GB [about 3.8 acturally usable…too small for full install] internal flash storage; 2GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics; see http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/z/z90d7/index.shtml). I plan to dual boot AntiX and SparkyLinux installed on an external USB WD My Passport 2TB HD. Will tie in to home net via wifi.

No matter what I try during the install (manual setup of partitions and directing AntiX to use them; allowing AntiX full control of partitioning; specifying an amount of free storage to set aside — the process *always* hangs at the step immediately following entry of username & password and root password. Upon clicking the ‘OK’ button, a ‘Minstall’ popup appears with the error message ‘Sorry, can’t create user directory.’ And there the install process stops dead in its tracks, unless I’ve missed something.

Any help in solving this would be greatly appreciated as I very much want to get to successful installation.

-nmc2068

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Not sure how to respond to your base installer problem. Just posting to say howdy and Welcome from 90F degree day of spring today in West Texas.

Did you md5sum check the base install iso. Also. Before you run the installer . Post a

inxi -Fxzr

Here to supply more info on your gear and what is mounted and not mounted. When I hear the term show stopper. It makes my mind react like fingernails being dragged across a chalk board.

Have you checked out run with the dolphin videos in youtube, on using the f keys cheats on the initial live boot screen yet? I have not done a base install since AntiX 13. Hence why I am not sure really sure how to respond.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

Also. You can run inxi during the installer process if you wish. Like after partitioning.

Anonymous

[ redacted ~~ my grabbing at straws here probably just introduces further confusion ]

Anonymous

Thanks for the West Texas welcome! Only been to TX once, but loved it! I probably shouldn’t have used the term ‘show stopper’ in the post subject — after all, it’s only a problem for me (for right now, I refuse to allow a mere computer to defeat me), not everyone else…apologies for the rush of adrenaline.

MD5 checked out. I haven’t tried all the otherpermutatins you suggest but will.

Thanks for your fast response. How come the rattlesnake roundup got dropped from your philosophical statement following your note?

–nmc2068

Anonymous

I let the installer automatically partition the 4GB CF drive. How would I determine what size it preserves for /home? I wondered if could be an ‘out-of-space’ problem.

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

You could try using the cli-installer and use blkid as root to make sure you know exactly where you want to install to.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
                  rokytnji

Thanks for the West Texas welcome! Only been to TX once, but loved it! I probably shouldn’t have used the term ‘show stopper’ in the post subject — after all, it’s only a problem for me (for right now, I refuse to allow a mere computer to defeat me), not everyone else…apologies for the rush of adrenaline.

MD5 checked out. I haven’t tried all the otherpermutatins you suggest but will.

Thanks for your fast response. How come the rattlesnake roundup got dropped from your philosophical statement following your note?

–nmc2068

Basically. Because I wanna ride my motorcycle to Colorado, then on the North Carolina, then back to West Texas. This summer. Instead of spending time in the hospital.

I’m a adventurous big boy. But I aint got quick reflexes.

I let the installer automatically partition the 4GB CF drive. How would I determine what size it preserves for /home? I wondered if could be an ‘out-of-space’ problem.

Hmmmm. 4 gig is kinda small for base install or even frugal install with a seperate /home partition. Your wondering is probably right.
                    cli-installer. Which I have not used since version 8.5. Should be like Anti says. The way to go on a CF 4 gig card.

Off topic again. The weather should be good Saturday for the rattlesnake roundup. Gonna be about 90F around my part of TX. I might drive out and eat some rattlesnake bbq this saturday. Big Spring Tx is about 150 miles one way. Hop skip and a jump for West Texan like me.

Weather:
                      Conditions: 77 F (25 C) - Clear Wind: Calm Humidity: 22% 
                      Pressure: 30.13 in (1020 mb) Dew Point: 35 F (2 C) Location: Pecos, Tx 
                      Altitude: 787.3 m Time: Thu 22 Mar 2018 06:02:10 PM CDT 
                      Observation Time: March 22, 12:35 PM CDT 

fatmac

Yep, less than 4GB is too small for the GUI installer, use the command line installer.

Whilst I haven’t installed 17.1 Base, I have installed 17 before, on a 4GB pendrive, & it worked fine.

If you still get trouble, create your partition & format it, & then use the installer.
                      (I’ve had to do that before to get a distro to install)

Linux (& BSD) since 1999
                      Ultra Small Form Factor & thin client computers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.