Grub installation failed

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Grub installation failed

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Sep 21-6:19 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    algothic

Hi all.
      I installed AntiX from and Iso called “antiX-23_x64-base.iso” and after finishing the installation gave the error Grub installation failed... and points me to a menu repair the boot. After choosing the right partitions it give me an error could not set up chroot environment. I’m using a HP Pavilion Touchsmart 10 and I already turned of the secure boot don’t know if itc an create conflicts. Tried the same SSD on other computer same result. With all this output I’m bit lost.
      Thanks in advance.

• This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by algothic.
      Brian Masinick

I believe this has been discussed previously.

If you are running live, prior to installation, make sure to update the available packages using either

sudo apt update
        OR
        sudo apt-get update

THEN
        run

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The updated GRUB configuration should be included in the recent updates; from there you can install and use GRUB, or you can, if you wish, choose another boot loader, if you prefer something else.

In my case, I had some other distributions available and one of them was already managing the boot loader, so I used it to update GRUB, then access my installed antiX instances, and I also updated their copies of the boot loader. In this way, I can, if I wish, modify which boot loader controls the master boot loader OR I can press a function key when I start my system and directly go to a particular system. This is not necessarily the recommended way to do things, but when you’re familiar with boot loaders you can make multiple copies, so if one gets messed up, you can get in via another way and then fix whatever breaks…

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I’m going to reboot my system now and verify that what I stated above is actually true on THIS system; it DEFINITELY is true on my Dell Inspiron 5558; in fact I have refind and GRUB installed and accessible by pressing the F12 key at boot on that system; I’ll check which technique works on this HP-14; it may be F12 or another key that lets me choose WHICH of the multiple boot loaders I have available; by default it picks the one currently listed first in the EFI/UEFI boot section of my /boot/efi directory.

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I promised that I’d go back and look at what my HP-14 configuration looks like – here’s what I found –
            F10 gets me to the boot loader; right now, though I have several GRUB instances set up, only one of them is, at the present time, configured to run when I boot from my hard drive; if I use F10 OR if I boot from USB, I have the USB defined to boot first, if present; otherwise boot from the hard drive, so my choices are to normally boot to the boot loader and select which distribution to use.

If my boot loader fails, I boot from USB Flash Drive and repair the boot loader; that’s actually a cleaner and safer way to do things; I will say that my Dell Inspiron 5558 demonstrates a fascinating way you can explore ways that you can select, at Dell system startup, selecting the F12 key, which of the many boot loaders I’ve made recognizable to the EFI/UEFI boot loader (some of which aren’t even installed any more!) I have to go into efibootmgr to clean up those eventually!

--
            Brian Masinick

algothic

Sorry for all the fuss that I gave you it a was a simple sudo apt update then sudo apt upgrade. The problem I think resides when AntiX is installing without the update he installing into GPT format not a DOS format. After the update the format updates to DOS.

Thank you @Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Sorry for all the fuss that I gave you it a was a simple sudo apt update then sudo apt upgrade. The problem I think resides when AntiX is installing without the update he installing into GPT format not a DOS format. After the update the format updates to DOS.

Thank you @Brian Masinick

Very good; this particular issue was discovered just after the antiX 23 images were generated.

What you said is the correct fix; this will be included in antiX 23.1 and a simple update fixes it in the meantime, as you have confirmed.

Hopefully others who encounter the same thing will see this and benefit from the discussion.

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Original topic about this –

“Update the system before installing. See this thread:
                  https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/grub-installation-failed-you-can-reboot-to-the-live-medium-and/#post-115763

--
                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.