GRUB installation failed. You can reboot to the live medium and …

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo GRUB installation failed. You can reboot to the live medium and …

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Dec 5-6:55 pm by stevesr0.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    flawed

Hi,

I tried to install antiX23 on my Mac from 2009 using the x64-full.iso flashed on a USB. The md5sum checked out and everything worked until 95% of the installation when the following happens (Live Log):

Creating swap file:
      MKPATH: /mnt/antiX/swap
      fallocate -| 10753M /mnt/antiX/swap/swap mkswap-g/mnt/antiX/swap/swap
      Configuring swap file
      filefrag -v /mnt/antiX/swap/swap | awk’NR==4 (print $4)* | tr -d .
      Is /mnt/antiX/boot | grep ‘initrd.img-3.6° mountpoint -g /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
      Installing GRUB cat /sys/firmware/efi/fw_platform_size
      Is /svs/firmware/efi/efivars | grep dump
      Change root: /mnt/antiX
      grub-install–no-nvram-force-extra-removable-target=×86_64-efi–bootloader-Id=antix–recheck–eff-directory=/boot/eft efibootmgr
      Revert root:
      FAILED Phase 4 – GRUB installation failed. You can reboot to the live medium and use the GRUB Rescue menu to repair the installation.

Rebooted and but didn’t know how to repair the installation.

abc-nix

Hi.

It is a known issue with this iso. The release notes say:

antiX-23 released
        […]
        Known issues.

IMPORTANT IF INSTALLING GRUB TO UEFI/ESP

Before installing
        sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
        This will update the gui and cli installers and bring in missing efivar and efibootmgr

Alternatively,
        sudo apt update && sudo apt install efivar efibootmgr

antiX-23.1 will have this fixed
        […]

The solution for an installed system is to again run live from USB, and launch the Boot Repair program. You need to first “reinstall grub” and then “repair grub” (options 1 and 2). After that, the installation should be able to boot.

flawed

Thanks a lot!

frtorres

Thanks. This is a very important Post!!.

1. Should be pinned to have better visibility. Normally this kind of errors to boot a new installed system are not common. I spent 1 day figuring out what happened from my side.
            2. I would like to propose respectfully to @anticapitalista to display this important news when antiX is booted from iso.

Thanks @anticapitalista and your team for your time and effort to release antiX 23. Long Live antiX!!!!!

Best Regards.

Francisco.

antiWin

sooo.. I’ve had this same issue and followed all the steps but now all i keep getting is this.

completely clean drive via gparted (antix gparted flags up kernal in use errors or something) so i have to boot into ubuntu live repartition then try again every time. This is really frustrating i’ve spent all day on this now.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by antiWin.
              • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by antiWin.
              braindeadagain

Hi. I also received this “GRUB installation failed. You can reboot to the live medium and use the GRUB Rescue menu to repair the installation.”

I restarted my asus laptop and I get a “welcome to grub” flash and then the “gnu grub version 2.06-13” with the requisite “Minimal BASH… completions” and then grub prompt.

I tried reading and YouTube and forums but I don’t know what to do from here.

https://youtu.be/6gW_MVl9A_8?si=iEtQFuPmCw-ojQB5

I followed this guide and did a full install antiX-23 x64 full and used my whole 32 gig harddrive to install in the process wiping away windows.

All I really wanted was to be able to repurpose my laptop with something that wasn’t bloated and where I could learn as I “play” so to speak

I am new to Linux only delving into Linux mint and installing it on a iMac g3 crt but that was 8 years ago

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by braindeadagain.
                PPC

@braindeadagain – Hi and welcome to antiX

– You should not post on threads that are long dead – unless you found the solution to a problem reported on that thread, etc.
                  – Having similar problems does not justify posting on another user’s thread, on this particular case, where the original poster’s problem was solved. If you had the same exact problem, the solution would have worked for you (if you followed the instructions provided on this thread).
                  – What I advise you to do is creating a new thread, stating exactly what your problem is, exactly how you tried to solve it and the results you got.

That said – antiX 23 came with a bug, that caused errors when installing to a UEFI computer. That bug was easily solvable by first updating the Live system OR by installing the required packages (as explained above)- if you follow either one of those procedures and still get the Grub error message (and your system does not boot) then you have a different problem, other than the one refereed to on this thread.
                  In case you have a 64bits computer, you may try installing the current antiX 23.1 development version, available here in this forum- that has the UEFI problem (and a few others) solved. That would be one of the things I would try, specially since you say you are not a very advanced used – I also advise you to read the official FAQ’s, that, among other things, show how to correctly use the antiX forum, how to do basic stuff in antiX, etc!

P.

flawed

Just posting what worked for me and since people seem to repeatedly run into this thread: 1. After getting on the installation desktop from the usb, open a terminal and run: sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade (the sudo password is the same as the username). 2. After that just run the installation.

braindeadagain

Hello flawed. I am responding but I guess I shouldn’t because the thread is dead…dunno. Anyway, I went in you tube to learn how to make a live usb and proceeded to try to boot my laptop but the laptop still boots to grub. To be clear, I would long press the power button to “kill” the laptop and to fire it back up and I get the asus screen and then straight to grub.

I tried f2, del, f10, f8, feverything. Held down all the f buttons and others for good measure and the laptop just “boots” to grub. And in lickity split time to boot. No hanging around sh**

I did the “ll” thing and others to see where root was but that’s about it.

In short, tried to install full antix on laptop, no dual boot options, wiped drive clean as per installation (so no windows) and then voilà…grub

And this is where I am. Just resigned to keep on reading what I can and learning what I could.

Edit- I don’t have the option of “after getting on the installation…”
                      The usb live is not booting on the laptop. I know the live works because I tried it on my desktop a couple times for good measure.

stevesr0

Hi braindeadagain,

It sounds like the laptop computer is not setup to boot from the usb drive.

Go into the BIOS menu (assuming you know how to do this on your computer), and check the boot order. Make boot from usb the first choice if it isn’t already.

braindeadagain

Hi StevesrO, I cannot get into bios. I do the f2 or f10 or del or all the keys on the laptop (exaggerating) as I press the button to restart the laptop (keep your finger on f8 or f2 or del or f10 or f9 or alt or a combination of all or any as you “restart” the laptop)

Nothing! Nada! Only a microsecond of flash “welcome to grub” ( I know this because I had to take my phone and record in slow mode to see what was flashed), and then the grub prompt comes up (of course the precursor bash info and other courtesies in a paragraph of 3 lines before the grub prompt) GNU GRUB version 2.06-13

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>

In order to first begin attempting to install antix I did have to go into the laptop bios and change the settings to boot from usb. That is how I was able to begin the process of antix installation (looking for usb first and running the live usb to begin formatting the harddrive and wiping windows clean)

All this I followed from the antix website and the video tutorial

I haven’t tried exploring removing the hard drive and slaving it onto my desktop and somehow trying to restore a windows boot whatmightcallit (mbr or equivalent) but it is not something I want to do

braindeadagain

grub> ls
                            (Hd0) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1)
                            grub> LS (hd0,gpt2)
                            Partition hd0,gpt2: Filesystem type ext* – Label ‘rootantic23’ – Last modification time 2023-11-30 22:38:12 Thursday, UUID
                            1bc547b7-6ab8-4b3e-846a-501ce9c80169 – Partition starts at 263188KiB – Total size 30271488KiB

PPC

I followed this guide and did a full install antiX-23 x64 full and used my whole 32 gig harddrive to install in the process wiping away windows.

@braindeadagain – if your computer is an Asus laptop, check your model (it should be on a sticker somewhere, or in the manual, etc) and see, on this page, how to access the BIOS: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/asus-boot-menu.html

As far as I can tell, you were able to boot from your pen-drive once, installed antiX and now you only get the Grub boot menu, can’t boot to the installed system and can’t boot into the Live pen-drive? Right?
                              How did you manage to install antiX in that machine in the first place? You had to boot from live antix somehow, in order to do that. If you can’t access your boot menu I can see several possibilities:
                              1- you are missing something very obvious and are not able to boot from the live pendrive
                              2- your computer/motherboard/etc is damaged and not working properly
                              3- If you were able to access the boot menu and still can’t boot from the pendrive, I would say that the usb port you are trying to use is fried, since you said you can boot using that pendrive on another computer (so the pendrive should be ok).

I still advise you to create a new thread about this, something like “Unable to boot to live antiX using USB flash-drive”. Probably one of the moderators, sooner or later will split this posts from the original thread…

P.

stevesr0

Hi braindeadagain,

There is an ASUS page dealing with the BIOS: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008829

It states that to enter the BIOS,

1. BEFORE powering up the laptop, HOLD DOWN the F2 button.

2. While CONTINUING to hold the F2 button down, press the power button. (I assume you release the power button after stuff starts.)

3. KEEP F2 DEPRESSED/HELD DOWN until the BIOS “configuration display” (the BIOS menu, I assume) appears.

4. RELEASE F2 and look at the boot order setting on the BOOT page.

5. Move the usb to the top/first position.

6. Save the changes and exit to continue booting.

N.B. The last time I had an issue and attempted to change the boot order in the BIOS, it didn’t work when I saved using the save and exit menu choice. There was a separate save choice I tried and then exited with save and exit. HOWEVER, I had a strange, custom BIOS, so likely you will not have that problem.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by stevesr0.
                                • This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by stevesr0.
                              Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.