GRUB installation to AntiX

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions GRUB installation to AntiX

• This topic has 48 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Apr 5-11:25 pm by Lluga.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Good Morning/Afternoon, Evening wherever you are

I have a question concerning GRUB Installation in Linux AntiX 64bit whenever someone could help me I would be very grateful
    With the option GRUB installation checked i received always the same error as shown at the 2nd screenshot below.
    After that, because of the help from a friend with AntiX, I received a message saying the Installation Process was complete and to perform the restart to finish the Installation
    But at the reboot phase the OS still doesn’t boot alone from the HDD without USB Drive with AntiX live
    If I try to do that the process stucks somewhere and doesn’t go furder, it doesn’t boot the OS
    If in live Mode and at the Main Menu there is the possibility “GRUB Rescue”
    The question is that I don’t know exactly how to use this tool “GRUB Rescue”, in order to repair the installation, like the message says.
    The Video that i received from this tool and after looking to it, arrives to a Menu that I don’t have in my system

If I choose “Find GRUB bootloaders” appears :

(hdo,msdos1) : antiX-Live-usb
    (hdo,msdos1) : rootantiX19

then it asks me to press “e” to edit boot parameters and appears :

if … (with some sort of command line to execute) that I really don’t have idea what means

then it asks to press ctrl-x to boot, that I did. But then it goes to a GNU GRUB Menu that shows :

“Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions”

grub> _

like the 1st picture below shows

i must enter a command line here maybe, (maybe the one shown before that I can’t paste here)

What should I do here please ?

The system Information goes also attached

thanks for replying

Lluga

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Lluga.
    Attachments:
    capreacaprea

The easiest way maybe, boot with the live-stick into the desktop.
    Go to control-centre > Maintenance > Bootrepair
    Choose “Installing the Grub again ESP MBR or PBR”
    Installation on MBR
    You can choose everything , your installation there.

Reboot from the USB drive and go to the main menu, Control Centre, and then the Maintenance tab.

Click the Boot Repair option. You will need to enter the demo password.

I think you should take the default to Reinstall Grub on the first screen.

Then on the second screen take the same options you took on the install. My guess from your full_info.txt is to Install on MBR, Location Sda and Select root location Sda1

This is the same answer as Caprea, just worded differently 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by BobC.

Hi again and thanks a lot

I’ve already do that. I’ll try to post the screenshots again,

but the error I get is as explained in my first Post.

No, definitely I don’t achieve to post the screenshots
    don’t understand why, cause the file has 3.8 Mb

this is the screen I get on a background screen :

“Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions”

grub> _

thanks to reply

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Lluga.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Lluga.

The picture files are probably too large to upload here.

Either upload them to a picture hosting site like imgur and post the link to them here or resize them small enough that this site will allow them to be uploaded.

Edit; yes 3.8 mb is Huge. Reduce it to about 250 kb and try uploading again.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by BobC.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by BobC.

finally achieved to post the screenshots !

Did you try what I suggested after you got those messages? The first screenshot is from the end of the install, and the second is from the reboot from the disk.

I suggested:
    Reboot from the USB drive and go to the main menu, Control Centre, and then the Maintenance tab.

Click the Boot Repair option. You will need to enter the demo password.

I think you should take the default to Reinstall Grub on the first screen.

Then on the second screen take the same options you took on the install. My guess from your full_info.txt is to Install on MBR, Location Sda and Select root location Sda1

PS: after you run boot repair it should say it completed successfully. Then you go to the menu, take Logout and Shutdown. After it shuts down, remove the USB and try booting to the hard disk.

Hi,

yes I did what you said before and after having these messages
    The Grub repair was already successful
    I suppose the OS is already installed on the machine, because now every time I boot from the Hard Disk, without USB Stick live inserted, it shows the second background screen I posted above :

grub> _

what sort of command line should I tape here ?
    … if I’ll be able to tape it

thanks for reply

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

It looks like boot repair thinks it fixed your drive, but did not.

I looked at Synaptic and see bootrepair-antix had many upstream fixes implemented last month, but your USB looks old based on IceWM being at version 1.8.3.

If you have enough room on the USB, I would suggest updating and upgrading it, then remastering it, then reboot from the remastered USB and try the boot repair again. From a terminal to update/upgrade it would be:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
    Then remaster from Control Centre, Live tab.

If you don’t have enough room on the USB to remaster, try reinstalling bootrepair-antix, then try the boot repair again.
    sudo apt update && sudo apt reinstall bootrepair-antix
    Then rerun the boot repair

PS: Trying to boot from the grub rescue is probably not a great solution unless you have no other choice. You would need to know all of the details to type the commands to boot it. I have been successful doing that once or twice and failed hundreds of times.

Or use a Grub Boot disk (CD/DVD/USB) like Super Grub2 and after booting into antiX run your upgrade and then run Boot Repair.

seaken64

Ok I’ll try to do that

thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.