Grub menu not working

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Grub menu not working

• This topic has 87 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated Mar 30-7:10 pm by smit.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    mygrove

I have a UEFI system.

My HD is partitioned as followe

nvme0n1p1 259:1    0     100M  0 part /boot/efi	EFI system partition
      nvme0n1p2 259:2    0       16M  0 part 			Microsoft reserved partition
      nvme0n1p3 259:3    0       85G   0 part 			C: (Windows)
      nvme0n1p4 259:4    0       25G   0 part /			antix23
      nvme0n1p5 259:5    0  127.4G   0 part 			D: (Data)
      nvme0n1p6 259:6    0         1G   0 part 			Recovery

I have recently installed Antix23 on the nvme0n1p4 partition.

When I boot it just displays this grub screen but no grub menu.

GNU GRUB version 2.06
      Minimal BASH–I like 1 Line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.
      grub>

How do I fix it so it boots correctly?
      Is my grub menu not in the correct location or is corrupted?

I can boot to both Windows and antiX23 manually by selecting the boot meny during startup (F12)

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by rokytnji.
      Forum Admin
      rokytnji

You can try fixing grub with the grub repair button in antiX conytol center during a live run.

Here is simple setup without dual booting Windows. Just for reference.

@antix:~
        $ blkid
        /dev/sda2: LABEL="rootantiX23" UUID="b04ab828-b7f4-4b21-b1d4-fdf9ec6d5596" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="9b2a3cf7-45b2-4b06-916b-424eded80a60"
        /dev/sda1: UUID="FC28-61BE" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="efi" PARTUUID="2a146516-93a1-4a4d-96e4-bc5b900c1dbe"

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

abc-nix

As rokytnj said, you will need to fix the grub boot menu, as there was a bug on the antiX 23 ISO. antiX 23.1 had this bug fixed, so either use the boot repair program to reinstall and repair grub to EFI in a live environment, or replace the antiX 23 installation with the newer antiX 23.1.

mygrove

Thanks, a sample of what I should have for a dual boot would be really helpful too.

mygrove

Are there some more detailed instructions for replacing Grub with the 23.1 version? I did try the boot repair tool but that did not apparently change anything at all.

Thanks

abc-nix

I am saying either reinstall (replacing the antiX 23 with a newer antiX 23.1 installation) completely, which will correctly install grub, or run boot repair (First option, reinstall grub, and after that second option repair grub, you need to do both) from any antiX live USB session.

Forum Admin
                rokytnji

Thanks, a sample of what I should have for a dual boot would be really helpful too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GycNpMZOQ88

MX runs the same installer. Should give you a general idea.

You can try running this in terminal before running the installer. If it already has it. No harm no foul.

sudo apt update && sudo apt install efibootmgr

mygrove

Thanks for the video link, that is a useful resource.

However, now things seem to get worse. I used the Boot Repair tool from a live session. Now I have no Grub menu at all. I can run both Windows and antiX by selecting F12 (boot menu) during start. I cannot access my BIOS now either, when I try it goes to a black screen with a fixed white cursor at the top left.

It feels like the installation of antiX has corrupted something in the boot menu.

Thanks

abc-nix

Install antiX 23.1 over the other antiX 23 installed. You did everything well on the first install, except not installing the latest version or reading the release notes. Forget about repairing grub and just install anew.

Forum Admin
                      rokytnji

If me. Because I’m a mechanic. Don’t care about Windows though.

I would make a backup recovery drive of my Windows install first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwOXHxi94I

mygrove

OK, I have installed a new antiX 23.1. On first boot after the installation there is no Grub menu at all and it boots into Windows. It looks like there is something amiss in the Grub part of the antiX installer.

Can I manually set-up Grub some way?

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

During installation you are asked where to install grub.
                            What did you choose?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

Install antiX 23.1 over the other antiX 23 installed. You did everything well on the first install, except not installing the latest version or reading the release notes. Forget about repairing grub and just install anew.

“antiX-23.1 files – Released 22 February 2024
                              antiX Linux has many versions. Please select one that best suits your needs.

antiX is available in 64 bit (computers built in the last 10 years) or 32 bit (very old computers or newer machines but be aware that a lot of software no longer provides 32 bit versions).” — from our site: https://antixlinux.com/download/

Further down that same page –

sysVinit versions:

Click to download antiX-23.1-Full 64bit Click to download antiX-23.1-Full 32bit

Regarding GRUB2; if it is properly configured, this ought to work:

sudo apt update; sudo apt install –reinstall grub-efi

Let us know if the command immediately above works; if not, grab a kernel from the https://antixlinux.com/download/
                              site and repeat reinstalling grub-efi

Please share the outcome with us, with as many details as possible (copy and paste the output if possible).

--
                              Brian Masinick

mygrove

Click to download antiX-23.1-Full 64bit Click to download antiX-23.1-Full 32bit

Regarding GRUB2; if it is properly configured, this ought to work:

sudo apt update; sudo apt install –reinstall grub-efi

Let us know if the command immediately above works; if not, grab a kernel from the https://antixlinux.com/download/
                                site and repeat reinstalling grub-efi

Thanks, feels like I am making progress.

I did a reinstall of antiX23.1 watching the video above at the same time.

Here is my partition info:

$ efibootmgr -v
                                BootCurrent: 0000
                                Timeout: 0 seconds
                                BootOrder: 0002,2001,0000,2002,2003
                                Boot0000* antiX Linux HD(1,GPT,fbbba6b5-7a78-4544-a82d-70056932efe1,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\antiX\grubx64.efi)
                                Boot0002* Windows Boot Manager HD(1,GPT,fbbba6b5-7a78-4544-a82d-70056932efe1,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS………x…B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}…E………….…
                                Boot2001* EFI USB Device RC
                                Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM RC
                                Boot2003* EFI Network RC

During installation the default option which I selected was to install Grub on the ESP partition.

I still don’t get a Grub menu at boot up. This is what happens.

I sucessfully ran sudo apt update; sudo apt install –reinstall grub-efi

If I just start up it boots straight into Windows, no Grub appears.

If I select F12 during boot I get to a boot menu which shows my Windows and antiX options.
                                Now if I select antiX it does briefly display a Grub menu (so it seems Grub is actually on my antiX partition, despite selecting ESP during installation). The Grub menu has options for antiX (default), Windows and EFI settings.

(The EFI Settings does get me back into my BIOS.)

So I am left wondering if all I need to do is change the boot order, so it sees the antiX entry first. Is that the right thing to do?

It does not quite explain why F2 no longer works during boot to get into BIOS.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by mygrove.
                                abc-nix

When you boot into antiX again, list the partitions:
                                  lsblk
                                  You at least should have a partition that mounts to /boot/efi and another one for the root partition (that mounts to /).

If efibootmgr still lists Windows as first in the boot priority, you can change the order with:
                                  sudo efibootmgr -o 0000,0002,2001,2002,2003

It does not quite explain why F2 no longer works during boot to get into BIOS.

This should still work if Windows is not set to “Fast Boot”. Press repeatedly the F2 key as soon as you press the power button and before Windows or Grub are loaded. Adding an entry to the EFI partition shouldn’t change the BIOS behavior.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by abc-nix.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.