Grub menu not working

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Grub menu not working

• This topic has 87 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated Mar 30-7:10 pm by smit.
Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    mygrove

A simply fix for MS-UEFI only computers is to copy linux´s grubx64.efi file to the EFI/Microsoft folder and rename grubx64.efi as bootmgfw.efi. Of course the original file can be backupped.

It may be obvious to some, but exactly which issue is this fix attempting to address?

Thanks.

stevesr0

Thanks for that tip, RJP.

if they still had the option to “+” a helpful post, I would. But it seems to have disappeared.

stevesr0

Hi mygrove,

Good question

I assumed that it would lead Windows boot manager to offer a choice to boot a Linux OS on a menu, similar to the way that the grub menu does.

But I could be wrong <g>.

Hopefully, RJP will clear that up, if you haven’t tried it yourself and found what it does. (I may try on one of my systems, when I get the chance.)

Brian Masinick

A simply fix for MS-UEFI only computers is to copy linux´s grubx64.efi file to the EFI/Microsoft folder and rename grubx64.efi as bootmgfw.efi. Of course the original file can be backupped.

It may be obvious to some, but exactly which issue is this fix attempting to address?

Thanks.

This would allow the Windows boot MANAGER to work and allow other UEFI entries to be visible, AND it would also facilitate that visibility IF another boot loader or boot manager were used on another system, so it is either or BOTH, so it’s a helpful addition!

(At least that is my interpretation of how this would affect booting tools).

--
            Brian Masinick

RJP

Thanks.

If you are dualbooting with Windows, you need to copy /EFI/Microsoft like /EFI/Microsoft.orig/Boot/bootmgfw.efi and then edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom file adding Windows line like

menuentry 'Windows 10' {
              insmod part_gpt
              insmod fat
              set root='hd0,gpt1'
              chainloader /EFI/Microsoft.orig/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
              }

And then run
              sudo update-grub

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by RJP.
              Brian Masinick

Thanks.

If you are dualbooting with Windows, you need to copy /EFI/Microsoft like /EFI/Microsoft.orig/Boot/bootmgfw.efi and then edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom file adding Windows line like

menuentry 'Windows 10' {
                insmod part_gpt
                insmod fat
                set root='hd0,gpt1'
                chainloader /EFI/Microsoft.orig/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
                }

And then run
                sudo update-grub

Excellent advice!
                In even more general terms, I add a custom boot entry whenever I have Windows or any other
                OS or distribution that isn’t automatically picked up when I run sudo update-grub.

Lately I stopped doing all of that; for many years, that is exactly what I’ve done since
                GRUB 2 was introduced. When the OLD GRUB was present, I’d just use the chainloading
                feature; it is available in GRUB 2, but the syntax is difficult to remember, so I’m glad
                that I don’t have to deal with any of that any more!

Best wishes in getting all of this working correctly; I really like the suggestions from
                @RJP!

--
                Brian Masinick

abc-nix

Thanks, Brian for the computer recommendation. I have always used Acer laptops for being cheap and having a relatively good Linux compatibility, but it seems to have gone downhill.

I will look into a second hand Lenovo Thinkpad or similar in the future, as the System76, Tuxedo or Slimbooks are too expensive for what they offer.

Brian Masinick

@abc-nix Out of all of the various brand names I’ve used, I’d have to give highest marks to Lenovo (the vast majority of their systems were influenced by IBM designs, at least in the classic brands and lines. They continue to make solid equipment. Good think you are looking at second hand equipment. I only recently compared several systems. While you can sometimes get a better idea of what’s REALLY in them by digging deep into the hardware components, I was primarily looking at similar processor lines, memory and disk capacities as I was comparing prices. Lenovo had consistently good stuff, with among the highest prices. Only low volume manufacturers, most of whom also had high end components, were in the same price range, so quality does cost.

Acer gets good performance from solid processor and I/O devices; it’s their own firmware that is so lacking; otherwise they’d be a great bargain!

Dell is an excellent alternative to Lenovo; of the big name manufacturers, I’d rate them #2. I don’t know if any of you have ever looked at Temo; they sell a lot of diverse stuff; most of it is from unknown brands, at least where I live. I’ve purchased things like socks, a spare watch, a belt and some Spring/Summer sportshirts. For those they seem to be pretty good deals and I’ve been happy with them so far. I’ve looked at their price/performance on some electronics and they have some really inexpensive stuff; names are totally unknown; I never saw Lenovo or any big name. I wasn’t able to find very many current generation laptop models, but those I looked at were very reasonably priced; maybe some day I’ll give them a try; when you are spending hundreds of dollars it’s more of a risk, which is why I haven’t tried them for that purpose.

When I was working and had more discretionary cash available I frequently tried various on-line retailers. Newegg is one that I’ve used very successfully; I’ve also used local electronics shops; Grolen Communications on Louden Road in Concord, New Hampshire was a place I’d use to get power supplies and other individual replacement parts; they also had offices in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Once upon a time there was a place called Linux Central and they would create inexpensive CDs, DVDs, and perhaps a few Flash Drives, and curiously enough, they were located in Clinton Township, Michigan! By the time I returned to Michigan, they were no longer in business; at least I couldn’t locate them; I used to purchase devices from them; now I download and generate them myself.

There are still a few such places but unless they sell other things it’s a difficult way to do business!

--
                    Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Hi RJP,

Your suggestion that for an MS-UEFI only computer, copying the linux grubx64.efi to the Microsoft folder that houses the bootmgfw.exe that launches Windows is unclear to me.

You have to have Windows installed to do this.
                      You will end up with two files with the same name,no (bootmgfw.exe).

Are you saying that this will result in a screen with two choices based not on the (identical) names of the files, but on their different contents?

Thanks for clarifying.

RJP

Hi RJP,

Your suggestion that for an MS-UEFI only computer, copying the linux grubx64.efi to the Microsoft folder that houses the bootmgfw.exe that launches Windows is unclear to me.

You have to have Windows installed to do this.
                        You will end up with two files with the same name,no (bootmgfw.exe).

Are you saying that this will result in a screen with two choices based not on the (identical) names of the files, but on their different contents?

Thanks for clarifying.

MS-UEFI computer looks bootmgfw.efi file as name, and if you rename grubx64.efi as bootmgfw.efi, the computer boots via that file when its name is bootmgfw.efi.

stevesr0

Hi RJP,

Thanks.

So, these would be the steps for booting grub in an MS-only UEFI computer:

1. Install linux.
                          2. From the running linux install, copy the /boot/efi/EFI/grubx64.efi file to the /Microsoft directory holding bootmgfw.exe.
                          3. Rename the bootmgfw.exe bootmgfwbkup (mv bootmgfw.exe bootmgfwexebkup)
                          4. Rename the grubx64.efi bootmgfw.exe (mv grubx64.efi bootmgfw.exe).
                          5. Reboot to the linux grub menu.
                          6. If Windows is not present on the grub menu, run thru the various fixes (activate foreign os-probing, update-grub, etc).

**A small point. On both my Windows/antiX computers, the /Microsoft directory was only visible when running linux.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by stevesr0.
                          mygrove

Here is my supplementary question (you can guess I’m new to antiX!).

On Ubuntu I could use Grub Customiser to change the order of the Grub menu, and set the default, font and background image.

How do you do this easily (properly) in antiX?

Thanks.

smit

Following rokytnj’s advice, addressing the grub boot menu issue is crucial due to a bug present in the antiX 23 ISO. Thankfully, antiX 23.1 rectifies this bug. Users can utilize the boot repair program , to reinstall and repair grub to EFI in a live environment or opt to upgrade to the newer antiX 23.1 release.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by smit.
                            Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.