GUI to install .deb packages in antiX 21

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks GUI to install .deb packages in antiX 21

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Nov 23-10:37 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    PPC

For now, antiX 21 comes without a GUI .deb package installer. There’s a solution for that (that I implemented myself):
    Download and install “contribs-goodies”, either using Synaptic or on the terminal:

curl https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/contribs-goodies/-/raw/master/contribs-goodies_0.1.0_all.deb --output contribs-goodies_0.1.0_all.deb
    sudo apt install ./contribs-goodies_0.1.0_all.deb

Then, using your File Manager, click a .deb package and select “debinstaller” (you may choose to make it the default app for dealing with .deb packages).
    To do this, in zzzfm – right click the .deb file > Open > Open With > choose the command “debinstaller” (you may make it the default app ticking at option on the bottom)

Edit: sorry, I messed up on the original instruction, I just fixed that!

P.

• This topic was modified 5 days, 8 hours ago by PPC.
    • This topic was modified 5 days, 5 hours ago by PPC.
    caprea
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Thanks PPC, but from teminal

All packages are up to date.
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree… Done
    Reading state information… Done
    E: Unable to locate package contribs-goodies

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@caprea- sorry, I messed up the original instructions, I already fixed them, they should work for antiX 32 or 64 bits…

P.

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you PPC for this thread.
    Do you know why there is no more GUI .deb package installer with antiX 21?
    I think this should be added to the tips and tricks for new antiX users.

Kind regards,
    Wallon

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks PPC, but from terminal

All packages are up to date.
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree… Done
    Reading state information… Done
    E: Unable to locate package contribs-goodies

Isn’t the package called antix-goodies? There are also antix-goodies-core and debian-goodies; each of these is a meta-package that installs a group of convenience packages; when I install antiX 21 Base runit, the antix-goodies package is installed.

Brian Masinick

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@Wallon – as far as I understood, anticapitalista removed gdebi because it is increasingly failing to correctly install packages- the same is happening in some other distros. Anti didn’t add any new alternative, as far as he told me in the forum, to check out how antiX users would react- because we can always install opening a terminal, typing “sudo apt install” and dragging the .deb file to the terminal window and pressing enter (and entering the password, if asked).
    My script is tiny because it’s really a front end for apt, much like antix-updater- it runs the commands, so you don’t have to, and you just see the cli do it’s thing and install the package…

@Mr Masinick – no, they are different packages- antix-contribs is a gitlab page where some scripts that are meant for antix but not part of it are installed. Contribs-goodies also includes antiX-cloud (developed with Spook’s older brother 🙂 )- a GUI to mount cloud drives so they can be accessed using the default file manager. Both were meant to be included in antiX, but didn’t make the cut, so, they found a new home in antiX-contribs…

P.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Right you are (of course) PPC. I found your original explanation at
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/contribs-goodies-to-translate/
    and the link from that reference at
    https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/contribs-goodies

Thanks for filling in the missing details for a second time so forgetful
    people like me get it right!
    🙂

Brian Masinick

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.