GUI to manage width of the IceWM toolbar

Forum Forums antiX-development Development GUI to manage width of the IceWM toolbar

• This topic has 46 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Jan 1-1:43 pm by Robin.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    PPC

Last night I wrote a script to manage the IceWM toolbar, it’s one of the very few essential features IceWM Control Centre is missing.
      This is intended to be added to that larger GUI, but I’ve not done so because I’ll have to find a way to localize the Position of the toolbar, as it appears on the GUI and then revert it back to English, the language used in the configuration files.
      As ism I think most people will be able to it.

Please do test, and I’m always receptive to constructive criticism!

PS: This idea came to me after I tested running LXDE on antiX, and realized that DE had a GUI to set that, and antiX did not…

P.

marcelocripe

Hello PPC.
        I tested your newest program yesterday and I really liked all the features. The toolbar may look like a dock.
        Is there a possibility that the program can also increase or decrease the height of the toolbar?
        I hope the anticapitalist will see this thread and accept this program to be added to IceWM Manager.
        Thank you very much for this program.

– – – – –

Olá PPC.
        Eu testei ontem o seu mais novo programa e gostei muito de todas as funcionalidades. A barra de ferramentas poderá ficar parecida com uma doca.
        Existe a possibilidade de o programa também conseguir aumentar ou diminuir a altura da barra de ferramentas?
        Eu espero que o anticapitalista veja este tópico e aceite este programa para ser adicionado no IceWM Manager.
        Muito obrigado por mais este programa.

PPC

An early Christmas gift for the antix IceWM community – please do test carefully.

As always, all useful suggestions are welcomed (but I don’t except to add anything else except correct any bug or typo).

Change log:
          – it’s almost the same script as the current version, available for antiX 23- but revamped to fit more with antiX Control Centre. It’s also easier to use on small screens, and Marcelo (that helped test it) says it’s easier to find the settings the user wants.
          – added a feature to permanently toggle the keyboard indicator on/off (that affects all window managers, not just IceWM)
          – I reordered the sections (now tabs) and added tooltips to each entry, that turn this GUI into almost an interactive antiX manual, providing detailed information about forty settings, in an effort to help users understand antiX a bit better.
          – Added icons to every single button
          – The main window now uses the script’s very own “icon”

If anticapitalista wants to replace the previous version with this one, it requires extensive localization (half a dozen expressions and some 40 very large tooltips)- it was created in such a way as to replace the IceWM entry on antiX’s Control Centre’s “Desktop” tab (because it includes a button, on the lower right that does exactly the same thing that the current IceWM entry does)- doing this would remove a C.C. entry, but at the same time would force advanced users, that use C.C. to manually edit IceWM config files, to perform an extra click – opening the script and clicking the button to manually edit files- so changing this is all anticapitalista’s design choice.

I’ll probably be away from antiX for a few days, and I just wanted to leave this here (because you know the “developer run over by a truck” syndrome)…

EDIT: I just noticed I posted this on the wrong IceWM thread 🙁

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
          olsztyn

PS: This idea came to me after I tested running LXDE on antiX, and realized that DE had a GUI to set that, and antiX did not…

It is one of settings of LXPanel. So you do not need to run LXDE, just LXPanel to have these, such as LXPanel on Openbox WM. Now I am curious if I can put LXPanel on IceWM, replacing the current one. Probably not…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
            http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

PPC

It is one of settings of LXPanel. So you do not need to run LXDE, just LXPanel to have these

I think that the version of IceWM Control Centre that I propose is very, very close to what LxPanel allows to do. In fact, I think that antiX Control Centre (that included the current version o IceWM Control Centre that is available in the repos, for antiX 23) allows almost the same configuration as KDE settings (well, considering that there is stuff that a full blow DE does that IceWM can’t do, even with all the scripts antiX adds- like Recent Files, a Trash can, etc.- but the difference between antiX’s IceWM and, say KDE, is not that big, in what concerns to features most users use on a daily basis.

P.

olsztyn

IceWM Control Centre that is available in the repos, for antiX 23) allows almost the same configuration as KDE settings

This sounds great… Combined Lean and ‘no longer mean’ desktop…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
                rokytnji

My tool bar now reads in antiX 22 icewm .

#prog "IceWM Manager " /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48x48/apps/icewmcc.png /usr/local/bin/icewm-manager-gui
                  prog "IceWM Manager " /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48x48/apps/icewmcc.png /usr/local/bin/icewm-control-center-v2.sh

Got my pick.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                  Not all who Wander are Lost.
                  Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                  How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

An early Christmas gift for the antix IceWM community – please do test carefully.

As always, all useful suggestions are welcomed (but I don’t except to add anything else except correct any bug or typo).

Change log:
                    – it’s almost the same script as the current version, available for antiX 23- but revamped to fit more with antiX Control Centre. It’s also easier to use on small screens, and Marcelo (that helped test it) says it’s easier to find the settings the user wants.
                    – added a feature to permanently toggle the keyboard indicator on/off (that affects all window managers, not just IceWM)
                    – I reordered the sections (now tabs) and added tooltips to each entry, that turn this GUI into almost an interactive antiX manual, providing detailed information about forty settings, in an effort to help users understand antiX a bit better.
                    – Added icons to every single button
                    – The main window now uses the script’s very own “icon”

If anticapitalista wants to replace the previous version with this one, it requires extensive localization (half a dozen expressions and some 40 very large tooltips)- it was created in such a way as to replace the IceWM entry on antiX’s Control Centre’s “Desktop” tab (because it includes a button, on the lower right that does exactly the same thing that the current IceWM entry does)- doing this would remove a C.C. entry, but at the same time would force advanced users, that use C.C. to manually edit IceWM config files, to perform an extra click – opening the script and clicking the button to manually edit files- so changing this is all anticapitalista’s design choice.

I’ll probably be away from antiX for a few days, and I just wanted to leave this here (because you know the “developer run over by a truck” syndrome)…

EDIT: I just noticed I posted this on the wrong IceWM thread 🙁

P.

This certainly looks better than the original IMO.
                    We need someone to proofread/edit the English strings and prepare the translations.
                    Some tool tips seem far too long to me. When translated into pt_BR it will be the length of an essay.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

marcelocripe

When translated into pt_BR it will be the length of an essay.

I will take care that this does not happen. I will try to keep the same length as the original sentence (if that is possible).

– – – – –

When translated into pt_BR it will be the length of an essay.

Eu tomarei cuidado para que isso não aconteça. Tentarei manter o mesmo tamanho da frase original (se é que isso seja possível).

Brian Masinick

“This certainly looks better than the original IMO.
                        We need someone to proofread/edit the English strings”

@PPC While I did not run 100% of the selections, if they are the same as they were before and only the “organization” has changed, they’ve all been previously tested.

I think this is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the previous versions, and it solves the one difficulty of putting so many features into a tool – at least they are organized in an intelligent and convenient way now; I like it a lot.

I hope that our regulars take the time to test this so we can include it in our collection of tools; I highly recommend that we do this ASAP so it will be ready for antiX 23.1 and later releases.

Thank you, Great work!

--
                        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

What I have tested works perfectly.

--
                          Brian Masinick

caprea

Thank you again PPC, much more clear looking optimization.Going to try it on antiX22 and 23.

PPC

I’m happy about the positive reaction this proposal had from the community.
                              I attach a revised version of the script (I hope I “ironed out” all the typos).

Change Log:
                              – revised the text of all tool-tips (please note that I’m not a native English speaker. The text should be revised by someone else)
                              added a new “Recent Files Tab” with 2 entries- that allow tho manage the Recent Files IceWM menu (the menu entries for those scripts are no logger accessible from the menu, since anticapitalista changed their names for antiX 23, so I think this Tab is currently the only GUI way to access those settings). This, along with the “Toggle on/off the system tray keyboard language indicator, already included on my previous post is currently the only new feature the script offers).
                              – Inspired by what I saw in KDE’s Plasma, I tried to implement an easy GUI way to change between Light and Dark mode – it kind of worked, but, for some unknown reason, some applications, like zzzfm and searchmonkey, refuse to change the GTK theme, when it’s set via config file editions. I could not figured what caused that, so I commented out that Tab’s entry – anyone that is comfortable with creating/editing bash scripts, please take a look at the code – any suggestion to implement this setting is appreciated…

As is, except for a revision of the tooltips be a native English speaker, I think the script is production ready.

P.

Forum Admin
                              rokytnji

When I posted earlier. I forgot to mention I did that on my antiX 22 chromebook. Now gonna do this on the runit antiX 23 Desktop computer.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                                Not all who Wander are Lost.
                                Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                                How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
                                anticapitalista

@PPC – it would be much easier if you changed the name to the original script name (icewm-manager-gui)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.