GUI to manage width of the IceWM toolbar

Forum Forums antiX-development Development GUI to manage width of the IceWM toolbar

• This topic has 46 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Jan 1-1:43 pm by Robin.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

“@PPC – it would be much easier if you changed the name to the original script name (icewm-manager-gui)”.

Very nice work, but I agree with anticapitalista.
      1) Make the name IceWM-Manager-GUI (or keep it lower case icewm-manager-gui.
      2) Make certain that the resultant script is executable, that is, chmod +x icewm-manager-gui

These two things will make the tool immediately usable and will require no additional actions
      from the user other than unzipping the contents. If this is packaged, we can even take care
      of these matters too, which I recommend.

That brings another thought to mind, if there is any further work or changes –
      Why not simply create a .deb package and install it? If the package has
      the end product named and configured properly, installing it will be as
      easy as our other tools.

That said, this looks good, and even the verbose explanations are clear;
      I looked at quite a few of them.

--
      Brian Masinick

Wallon

I assume that the name icewm-manager-gui.pot will also be retained. This will overwrite the previous project at Transifex.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Wallon.
        Wallon

A question for English speakers.
          Is it better to write the width or length of a toolbar?
          In the script, it is written “IceWM Toolbar width and horizontal position”.
          I think it should be “IceWM Toolbar length and horizontal position”.
          What should it write? Thanks for your advice.

Wallon

Dear PPC,

Here is a provisional *.pot file.
            There are sentences with variables only. I will put a comment to the translators not to translate anything.
            I really like your new layout.
            Congratulations.

Kind regards,
            Wallon

Brian Masinick

A question for English speakers.
              Is it better to write the width or length of a toolbar?
              In the script, it is written “IceWM Toolbar width and horizontal position”.
              I think it should be “IceWM Toolbar length and horizontal position”.
              What should it write? Thanks for your advice.

As an American English speaking person I can understand either way but the toolbar width is more natural because when it’s a horizontal toolbar I naturally think of the left to right width. If you speak of it as the length of the toolbar I’m still able to understand that, so if this is a more natural understanding in several languages then that is fine, otherwise I would continue to describe it as the width of the toolbar.

--
              Brian Masinick

PPC

Dear all, let me address some comments here:

@anticapitalista – I only changed the name of the script so I could differentiate the several versions I was working with, on the same folder. The official name of the script, when/if adopted by antiX should be the same as the current one: “icewm-manager-gui”.
                I think we should give it a couple more days or so, and if no one finds any more typos, etc, it’s probably safe to upload the version attached to this post to relevant git page…

@Brian Masinick – Like I said above- the script’s name should be the same one as antiX already uses… and I simply forgot to make the previous file executable before compressing it and uploading it to the forum (forcing users to have to make that extra step- sorry, folks)
                Also, since this script is just a newer version of the icewm-manager-gui script, already included in antiX Full, I think it does not require to be packaged individually…

@Wallon – many thanks for generating the .pot file! Sorry, but I just now caught 2 typos on the latest entries, that I just now corrected (and expanded slightly one of the newest texts), in the version of the script attached to this post…
                To save translators some work, I commented out the strings that are not used in the current version (the ones used when I tested trying to implement a way to set a dark/light mode automatically with a single click)… Sorry for the extra work this correction implies for you…
                Like Mr Masinick said, I think “width” is the correct term: when describing how big the X and the Y size of anything drawn in the screen usually the terms that are used is height (for the y axis) and width (for the x axis). These, for example, are literally the names of the settings used to select yad windows X and Y sizes.
                Side note: if this setting exits for some months, and no native English speaker complained (and Mr Masinick, that’s from the USA, tested all versions of the scripts extensively), why did you think it was the wrong expression?

P.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by PPC.
                Wallon

Dear PPC,

In mathematics;
                  – the length is the longest side,
                  – the width is the shortest side.
                  length or width, definition

I did some research on the internet in English and I noticed that English speakers used the 2 terms for the longest side!

Kind regards,
                  Wallon

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

It seems most ‘hits’ show height/width of toolbar

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Wallon

Thanks Brian and anticapitalista for confirming that the word width is often used for the longest side of a rectangle in English. That is odd.

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

This is from IceWM manual

TaskBarDoubleHeight=0
                        Use double-height task bar.
                        TaskBarWidthPercentage=100 [0-100]
                        Task bar width as percentage of the screen width.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

This is from IceWM manual

TaskBarDoubleHeight=0
                          Use double-height task bar.
                          TaskBarWidthPercentage=100 [0-100]
                          Task bar width as percentage of the screen width.

IceWM confirmation is better than mine but it agrees with our previous assertion.

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Thanks Brian and anticapitalista for confirming that the word width is often used for the longest side of a rectangle in English. That is odd.

Plenty of English conventions are unusual and/or inconsistent. Why? The truth is that the English language consists of words and phrases from other languages and moreover words that were once slang become common words. There are even some words that have multiple spellings that are now accepted. What other languages allow these things?

I’m fairly certain that anticapitalista finds Greek to be a more uniform and consistent language than English unless it also has a similar crazy history behind the language.

In any case it is what it is. In the engineering community my spelling and grammar when I was in the university stood out, not because I was exceptionally good at it, more like the engineers were fantastic engineers and generally not very good at other things while I wasn’t a great engineer, I was a scientist and a technical writer and designer.

--
                            Brian Masinick

olsztyn

I’m fairly certain that anticapitalista finds Greek to be a more uniform and consistent language than English

Greek is precise in expression:
                              – All nouns have their gender.
                              – Greek has strict declension and conjugation. Hardly such in English.
                              – Greek requires formal form addressing out of respect and casual form. English has just casual form.
                              – etc.

Anticapitalista is though the ultimate authority here in this topic. I am not a native Greek, even if trying to learn Greek language…
                              Just my opinion…

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by olsztyn.
                              • This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                              http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

@olsztyn Thank you; that confirms what I suspected; you’re right too. Anticapitalista is an educator and most certainly is a reliable and trustworthy person in Greek, in education and in efficient Linux development skills and undoubtedly more.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Wallon

Dear PPC,

Here is the *.pot file with comments. You can add or modify the comments if you wish to help the translators.
                                  I hope this file works for you.

Kind regards,
                                  Wallon

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Wallon.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.