Guvcview doesn’t work

Forum Forums General Hardware Guvcview doesn’t work

Tagged: 

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Oct 21-2:06 pm by Dave.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andy3142

I’m trying to control a c922 logitech camera inside Zoom with Guvcview. However it turns out that Guvcview just does not work, even as the first program run after a clean reboot with the c922 not even plugged in. If I run in a terminal I get as attached, and the GUI crashes. Full system info in same attachment. Antix and guvcview are up to date.

I’m not technical with Linux. I’m only using it because I can’t bear throwing away a perfectly good machine that won’t run windows. So I’ve no idea at all what this means or what to do next. Any ideas appreciated.

I’m not married to guvcview, so if it’s simpler to uninstall and try something else, that’s OK.

Thanks in advance for your help

Andy

Attachments:
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

From your attached file:
    Device-3: Quanta type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-1.4:3 chip-ID: 0408:2fb1 class-ID: 0e02
    This seems to be the only detected camera, the built in camera on your laptop, which is supported by the 4.9 kernel, but for some reason cannot communicate with Guvcview on your system.

We cannot tell if the Logitec camera is supported on the same kernel (the best I could find is related to the pro edition, but there wasn’t enough information there either)
    please connect it and share the lsusb terminal output.

I will try to see if on a clean antiX 19.4 my laptop has any problems with guvcview (just to see if I can get the same errors and try to figure this out, as it works OK on a custom antiX 21b2, but I haven’t tested on a clean system), though I will be running the 64-bits version and not the 32-bits version (don’t know if it matters).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I get the exact same terminal output when running guvcview except for the last line,
    V4L2_CORE: Could not grab image (select timeout): Resource temporarily unavailable
    but the program works and I can see my webcam running OK.
    The last line gives a hint to the problem for your laptop webcam, but we still don’t know if you will experience the same issue with the logitec webcam.

First I would try connecting the webcam and sharing the USB and inxi information. Then try to launch guvcview with the USB webcam connected and see if it works. If it doesn’t we will investigate if you need 64 bits libraries or a different kernel version.

Andy3142
    Helpful
    Up

OK, thank you, I see that I misunderstood what the problem is. The end goal is to run Zoom. The real problem is contention between Zoom and Guvcview, not, basically, that Guvcview doesn’t work.

I also tried Webcamoid. Both this and Guvcview can control both the inbuilt camera and the c922. With Webcamoid, if I start that first, then Zoom, Webcamoid keeps control of the c922 and Zoom cannot access either camera. If I start Zoom first, then although Webcamoid shows the image from the camera, it can’t control any aspect. But neither program crashes.

I’m sure the situation is the same with Guvcview, except that Guvcview crashes when it meets Zoom.

Attached are the files you asked for, plus terminal output from guvcview run before and after Zoom. Zoom has no terminal output.

Thanks again

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Based on this linux mint forum post, guvcview (the graphical interface) doesn’t work when another program (zoom) is using the webcam, but the terminal (cli) commands do work.

Based on the same topic, you can adjust the webcam configuration with guvcview, then close and then launch zoom and it should keep the same configuration options (that is what the poster said).

Andy3142
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you everyone for your help, I’ll call this closed. Running Guvcview / Webcamoid first is a good-enough workaround for now, and I’ll explore terminal commands.

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

When you have the camera settings the way you would like for zoom, you can export them with the command
    v4l2ctrl -d /dev/video0 -s $HOME/.camera-settings
    then maybe through the .desktop file, or a wrapper script for zoom, you can load this settings file using the command
    v4l2ctrl -d /dev/video0 -l $HOME/.camera-settings

If you will always use these settings for the camera, you could add the load command to the startup file. Unless the camera is added / removed from the system then you may want to add the load settings command to a udev rule.

Edit: if more a more manual (easier to configure) way is needed you could simply run the command each time; or add the command to a key combination.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Dave.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.