Handbrake Safe to Install?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Handbrake Safe to Install?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by rej Sep 15-11:15 am.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rej

Hi-

I assume The antiX Package Installer’s version would be safe, as it based on default Stretch.

I am likely misinterpreting this, but this is the warning at Hanbrake website:

“If you have installed a HandBrake package from your distribution or other third-party package repository, please remove it before proceeding. See the section, Warning about broken third-party builds on Where to get HandBrake for more information.”

Was attempting to find out how to use it before installing. Searched “linux handbrake” and that was first in the results.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/developer/build-linux.html

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

We use the one provided by Debian.
    If you don’t trust Debian to provide a ‘safe’ version, then don’t install it.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

rej

Thank you.

fatmac
    fatmac

I’ve used it in the past with no ill effects, I think ours is perfectly OK, so go ahead & have some fun ripping those DVDs. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

ModdIt

From Handbrage site: Broken third-party packages/builds include but are not limited to:
    among others Debian Multimedia: handbrake, handbrake-cli, handbrake-gtk

It seems some “features” have been removed, liability concerns or maybe debian Politics.

If you want to use all the features Then follow handbrake site instructions.
    You will have the full responsibility for possible legality concerns in your jurisdiction.

The warning was not about dangers in the official builds as such, there are many scam
    versions of Handbrake with trojan loaders, extorsion variants etc offered on third party download
    sites.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ModdIt.
    VW
    VW

Debian Multimedia is not run by Debian, and antix warns to only use it to install the DVD codecs;

antiX strongly advises users not to keep the deb-multimedia repository enabled as there may be conflicts.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by VW.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by VW.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

rej

fatmac, ModdIt, and VW-

Thanks for the all the good input!

I decided not to use Handbrake, because of last year’s (supposed) vulnerability with “libreoffice” version that Debian had installed, and used another application.

Handbrake is likely safe from Deb Stretch, and if I had had prior experience with it, knew what to look for, and understood more of it, would probably have gone ahead with using it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.