hardware requirements for firefox-esr?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions hardware requirements for firefox-esr?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cyrilus31 Jan 17-4:40 am.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mroot
    mroot

What do you guys think are the minimums for running firefox-esr on AntiX? For memory I would say 512mb as a minimum with 1gig probably recommended. But what about the cpu and general age of the computer?

I guess what I am trying to ask is if you were going to buy a used laptop to use with firefox-esr on a daily basis what cpu would you need? How about specs for a chromebook?

-mroot

skidoo

What’s your budget price range?

How about specs for a chromebook?idunno. Check with your optometrist (or ophthalmologist) ?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by skidoo.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

The web is nowadays very taxing on both CPU and RAM, especially for ‘typical’ use ie videos, images etc.
    IMHO all modern browsers are crap on old hardware, that includes the ones we use on antiX ie firefox-esr.
    However, since they are all universally crap, firefox-esr is the ‘best of a bad bunch’, but I would say 1GB RAM
    minimum is needed (probably more tbh) and a CPU of P4 or better.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

P4 1.8 ghz or above up to 3 ghz. 1 gig of ram minimum.

Look at my IBM T23 thread to see what I mean.

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

mroot
    mroot

Well, I had two reasons for asking. First, I realize the days when you could run Mepis 8.0 with firefox and KDE!!! on anything with 512mb are long gone. But people have old hardware and I want to able to give them decent advice on whether it will run antiX or run antiX with a memory upgrade or they should buy a newer computer. I used to have a good feel for this but don’t now with modern browsers. Second, I was impressed with my niece’s chromebook as far as weight and I was thinking of getting one as a second computer and putting antiX on it if the hardware is fast enough. So as far as price say for a chromebook (intel based) $150, well maybe more but at some point you might as well buy a new chromebook.

-mroot

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

This is about as low spec that is basically functional that I own. My Panasonic CF-48 is a Pentium 4 M processor with 1.25 gig of ram. I have not played with it yet using AntiX 17. I either have AntiX 15 or 16 installed on it presently.I can’t remember.

AntiX 17 install on single core atom cpu

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

mroot
    mroot

Guys I just wanted to say thanks for your input.

-mroot

cyrilus31
    cyrilus31

Don’t know if it’s too late for testimony : P4 2.4gHz and 1 Go of ram. It’s ok especially fine with respect to ram (512Mo would be enough). But concerning Intel, I think everything would be Ok from core generation (P4 is just enough).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.