Has anyone created an encrypted live usb disk?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Has anyone created an encrypted live usb disk?

Tagged: , , ,

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 29-4:33 am by olsztyn.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rayluorayluo

Hi there,

Has anyone created an encrypted live usb disk? Is it able to boot?

My usage pattern is solely booting from a live usb disk. It works well. And then recently I started to create an encrypted live usb disk. The disk creation seems straightforward, by just checking the “Encrypt” option in the Live USB Maker tool. However the finished usb disk can not recognized during reboot. I tried 2 different usb disk (different brand, different size), created by 2 antix versions (19b2 and 19b3). My Thinkpad X60 was otherwise able to boot with the non-encrypted antix live usb, but it just won’t boot from the encrypted live usb.

Is it just me? Or did I miss anything obvious?

Regards,
    Ray

Yes, I’m using a 32GB Sandisk key with encryption. Works fine.
    It asks for the encryption password to boot (a few lines into the booting sequence, after the splash screen).

You might have an issue with your key(s). Mine is recognized by a computer under Win10, with 3 different partitions.
    I think the 3 partitions are :
    – the UEFI
    – the encrypted one for Antix
    – space that I left available to be able to use the key to transfer/carry unencrypted space. I think I have to format this partition to make it useable.

FYI in the picture, the folder structure of the UEFI partition.

Attachments:
    rayluorayluo

Yes, I’m using a 32GB Sandisk key with encryption. Works fine.
    It asks for the encryption password to boot (a few lines into the booting sequence, after the splash screen).

You might have an issue with your key(s). Mine is recognized by a computer under Win10, with 3 different partitions.
    I think the 3 partitions are :
    – the UEFI
    – the encrypted one for Antix
    – space that I left available to be able to use the key to transfer/carry unencrypted space. I think I have to format this partition to make it useable.

Hi Yag,

Thanks for trying to help. In my case, if I remember correctly (now I’ve wiped out that usb disk), I saw the finished live usb disk containing 3 partitions:

(a) a relatively small antix partition which presumably contains the bare minimal bootable content,
    (b) a large partition which would presumably become the encrypted partition,
    (c) and then a small UEFI partition as usual.

Normally, if I were not creating an encrypted live usb disk, the (a) and (b) would be combined as one big ext4 partition.

Alas, my Thinkpad X60 would otherwise boot from an unencrypted antix live usb, but it somehow can not recognize the aforementioned going-to-be-encrypted live usb disk, so I was not able to use such feature.

Again, thanks for trying to help.

Regards,
    Ray

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X60

Hmmm. Laptop seems capable. Howdy and Welcome. Can’t comment on the encrypted usb thing. I have no need for one.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Has anyone created an encrypted live usb disk? Is it able to boot?

I have been using encrypted Live USB extensively on variety of different laptops, including several X61 laptops, which I think are almost the same as your X60, except processor speed and cosmetic differences.
    I had no problems and works for me fantastically. Live antiX (including encrypted) is very fast and very well implemented.
    Your problem could be related to the way your laptop is setup to boot, perhaps?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.