Have been stuck on ” Gathering information, please stand by. ” For over 24h

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Have been stuck on ” Gathering information, please stand by. ” For over 24h

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated May 29-3:52 pm by Robin.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Read Lenin

My computer won’t leave this screen despite me having booted it in video safe mode, I’ve tried booting normal and still couldn’t get past this, what’s weird is that this old laptop has no issues running windows 10 but for some reason it gets stuck on this screen and I can’t install AntiX, my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C850D, also it constantly says I’m using 100% of CPU, but the colors are spinning so it’s not frozen

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

Click on Esc button

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Read Lenin

The cursor loading circle started spinning and nothing else is happening, what should have happened?

Read Lenin

my usb flash drive stopped blinking so i think maybe it disconected and the pc isnt being able to access the data in it, might try the other usb port

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

It should have stopped spinning.
              If you boot again and immediately after you start the Installer, press Esc to cancel that spinning.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Read Lenin
                marcelocripe

Hello Read Lenin.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

Please learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum by reading the threads I linked in my real welcome. Please note that there are 3 editions of antiX from series 19, 21 or 22 and 23 that have technical support in this forum. Each edition has 4 ISO images (full, base, net and core) on two different boot system types, SyVinit and Runit. If my sum is not wrong, at the present date there are about 32 different types of operating systems. That’s why you need to learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum.

took over an hour afer pressing esc, but it did work, thanks

I have some faulty hard drives that won’t make it past this step in the installation process. These hard drives were damaged when they had Windows installed and when this operating system froze, forcing the computer to be turned off incorrectly. These hard drives also became defective due to interruptions in the electricity supply, which often occur on the same day. Since the privatization of electricity distribution services here in Brazil, the service has become much more expensive and the quality has worsened a lot. Computers, refrigerators and other electrical equipment suffer greatly due to the low quality of services provided by these outsourced companies.

marcelocripe
                  (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá, Read Lenin.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.

Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

Por favor, aprenda a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX lendo os tópicos que eu indiquei na minha verdadeira boas-vindas. Saiba que existem 3 edições do antiX, das séries 19, 21 ou 22 e 23 que possuem suporte técnico neste fórum. Cada edição possui 4 imagens ISOs (full, base, net e core) em dois tipos de sistema de inicialização diferentes, o SyVinit e o Runit. Se a minha soma não estiver errada, na presente data são cerca de 32 tipos diferentes de sistema operacionais. É por isso que você precisa aprender a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX. 

took over an hour afer pressing esc, but it did work, thanks

Eu tenho alguns discos rígidos com defeito que não passam desta etapa do processo de instalação. Estes discos rígidos foram danificados quando possuíam o Windows instalado e quando este sistema operacional congelava obrigando a desligar o computador de forma errada. Estes discos rígidos também ficaram com defeito devido a interrupção do fornecimento de energia elétrica que ocorre muitas vezes no mesmo dia. Desde a privatização dos serviços de distribuição de energia elétrica aqui no Brasil, o serviço ficou muito mais caro e a qualidade piorou muito. Os computadores, as geladeiras e os demais equipamentos elétricos sofrem muito por causa da baixa qualidade dos serviços prestados por estas empresas terceirizadas.

marcelocripe
                  (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Read Lenin

tem alguma ferramenta boa ja instalada no antix que me permite fazer uma verificação de hd? eu realmente acho que como esse laptop nao tem bateria e perdeu eletricidade varias vezes ele pode estar todo danificado

Robin

– First it could be useful to check the dmesg output after booting. (start e.g. roxterm from antiX menu). Search for filesystem- or drive-related errors.

– For the drive fitness itself use smartctl on console (you can do this in roxterm), see man smartctl for details and search the antiX forum, there are a couple of threads about proper usage and interpretation of the results.

– Once sure the drive is fit, care for the partitions on it, you can check whether the partitions are properly recognised and renew the boot sector if needed using Gparted from antiX main menu.

– And finally check your file systems on all your partitions. You can do this with fsck on console (use again e.g. roxterm). See man fsck for details, and again you’ll find useful hints in some threads here in the forum.

All these tools are pre-installed on antiX, at least for antiX full I can say this definitly. You need to run them with root permissions, so prepend the commands by sudo on console.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.