Hello again

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello again

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by dirkd Nov 14-1:40 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    dirkd
    dirkd

Not really a new user, but first time on the new forum. I’ve been using 32bit Antix 15 for about three years now, and I’m fully satisfied. But recently Google Music Manager (not an Antix product of course) won’t let me connect with my Google account anymore. In fact, it seems Google Music Manager doesn’t like any 32 bit linux system anymore. So I decided that maybe it was time for an upgrade.

I’m currently reviewing 64 bit Antix 17, and I like it a lot. Some minor problems I had (mouse and rox panel configuration lost when rebooting) have been solved. It mostly just works out of the box now, without much need of tweaking the configuration files.

Still, I haven’t decided yet to make the switch. What do you think: would it be feasible to make a new start with 64 bit Antix 15 in 2018? Or would I be painting myself in a corner?

$ sudo inxi -Fxz
    [sudo] password for dd: 
    System:
      Host: dokux Kernel: 4.9.87-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
      Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.5 Distro: antiX-17.1_x64-full Heather Heyer 17 March 2018 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid 
    Machine:
      Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5QL PRO v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter> 
      BIOS: American Megatrends v: 0902 date: 11/28/2008 
    CPU:
      Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E7400 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Penryn 
      rev: A L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
      flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 bogomips: 11177 
      Speed: 1603 MHz min/max: 1603/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1603 2: 1870 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: NVIDIA G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
      bus ID: 01:00.0 
      Display: server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
      resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: NV98 v: 3.3 Mesa 18.1.9 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel 82801JI HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.87-antix.1-amd64-smp 
    Network:
      Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet 
      driver: ATL1E v: N/A port: cc00 bus ID: 02:00.0 
      IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
      Device-2: D-Link System DWA-140 RangeBooster N Adapter(rev.B1) [Ralink RT2870] 
      type: USB driver: rt2800usb bus ID: 2-3:4 
      IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 3.70 TiB used: 1.33 TiB (35.9%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 size: 465.76 GiB 
      ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Intel model: SSDSA2CT040G3 size: 37.27 GiB 
      ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Samsung model: HD753LJ size: 698.64 GiB 
      ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Western Digital model: WD6401AALS-00E8B0 size: 596.17 GiB 
      ID-5: /dev/sde vendor: Kingston model: SV300S37A120G size: 111.79 GiB 
      ID-6: /dev/sdf vendor: Western Digital model: WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 size: 1.82 TiB 
      ID-7: /dev/sdg type: USB vendor: Sony model: Storage Media size: 14.94 GiB 
    RAID:
      Hardware-1: VIA VT6421 IDE/SATA Controller driver: sata_via v: 2.6 bus ID: 05:02.0 
    Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 36.44 GiB used: 6.76 GiB (18.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1 
      ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.02 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sde2 
    Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 70 C 
      Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Info:
      Processes: 204 Uptime: 26m Memory: 3.86 GiB used: 838.7 MiB (21.2%) Init: SysVinit 
      runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 inxi: 3.0.25 

$ inxi -r
    Repos:
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
      1: deb http://repo.antixlinux.com/testing testing main nosystemd nonfree
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
      1: deb http://ftp.be.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
      1: deb http://ftp.gr.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
      2: deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list 
      1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list 
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Since you use ‘rolling’ Testing, go for it.
    You will need to use a later kernel from testing repo though.
    See posts on security.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

caprea
    caprea

Out of curiosity, why do you want to stick with antix15 ? antiX17 is great!

dirkd
    dirkd

Well, I learned a few tricks with roxterm, which is no longer present in Debian. So if I change I have to find a few new tricks with urxvt in stead. Antix17 boots a little bit slower too.

There’s a little problem with Conky too. I tried posting about that in the Antix17 section, but my post is not visible. I guess I must learn to use the new forum too…

dirkd
    dirkd

Do I understand you correctly that Antix15 is still a viable option for me, provided that I run a recent kernel?

dirkd
    dirkd

@Anticapitalist:

Since you use ‘rolling’ Testing, go for it.
    You will need to use a later kernel from testing repo though.
    See posts on security.

Do I understand you correctly that Antix15 is still a viable option for me, provided that I run a recent kernel?

skidoo

dirkd, worth checking: The “roxterm-gtk2” package is still available from debian jessie repository & probably can be installed cleanly in antiX17.
    In case you care to pursue the gtk3 version (I don’t), Tony Houghton is still maintaining & releasing occasional bugfixes

If you care to mention, I’m curious to hear which features of RoxTerm (or tricks) you’ve noticed missing in other terminal emulator applications.
    Dozens of alternative emulators exist; maybe forum readers can match up those features and suggest a suitable replacement.

dirkd
    dirkd

@skidoo:

I was indeed able to install roxterm-gtk2. Easy. Thanks.

In the mean time I have learned more about urxvt. With roxterm I could define named profiles, and e.g. run a window with multiple tabs on startup. Tabs in urxvt behave very differently. In stead I now launch multiple independent instances of urxvt, and I learned how to use automatic grouping in fluxbox to achieve the same effect.

However, I’m afraid I’m in deeper trouble now, but I’ll post about that in the Antix17 thread.

skidoo

Thanks for confirming roxterm-gtk2 is working. If you care to mention which RoxTerm features/tricks are missing in other emulators, I’m still curious to hear. (I too have a couple fave features and wonder whether those are the same features you’ll mention.)

(mentioned in another toipic)
    Then I found a folder /var/lib/systemd…

FYI, presence of that folder is normal (harmless). Inspect its contents and your see that it contains only declarative helper files. Those files are provided (installed) by various packages, and remain unused/unfreferenced in the absence of systemd init.

BobC

Skidoo, If someone was installing something like this from an old repo, which would be the better install method (any corrections would be appreciated if I made any mistakes or am thinking wrong):

1. Get everything up to date, then add the old repo to the sources list, update again, and then add the packages one at a time, then remove the old repo and update again.

or

2. Install Gdebi, download the packages, and install from lowest to highest in the dependency tree

skidoo

6 vs half dozen
    Me, I would find and download the .deb, and keep a copy onhand in case it disappears from remote repo, and install via dkpg -i

BobC

Ok, thanks. I did it via gdebi and the only issue I found is that it didn’t put it on the menu. Maybe I will uninstall and try again via the repo and save the. Deb files as a backup.

I also like roxterm but was not using any fancy features, and would be interested to hear how dirkd is using it. I tend to use a lot of terminal sessions because I find using midnight commander very comfortable and efficient.

BobC

So I uninstalled via Gdebi, then added the 3 repos (antix jessie, jessie updates, and jessie) and reloaded, and then installed common, followed by the gtk2, and wa-la, it’s on the menu, works, and everything, and then I turned the repos off so I don’t cause surprises, and reloaded again!

Thanks for the help…

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by BobC.
    dirkd
    dirkd

@skidoo: I don’t do that many fancy things with roxterm. But these features appealed to me:

• Named profiles. Easier then long lists of command line parameters
    • Tabs. Saves real estate space on my desktop.
    • Control over the ‘role’ x-property. This makes it easy to use roxterm in combination with fluxbox. I like to auto-start a few terminals with transparent backgrounds. Some of them run terminal applications (I love moc), some are just empty (ready for use if I need youtube-dl). Fluxbox puts them automatically on a workspace of choice, in a layer underneath the normal windows. That way, if I don’t use them actively, they never get in the way of other programs.

While urxvt seems to have more features, it also seems a bit sluggish at times. And I just realised that I don’t know how to paste a command in the terminal window! I found a ‘howto’ on the internet that involved a many step procedure, including editing .Xresources or something like that. Way too complicated to my taste… LXterminal is fine, but very limited in features. I also doesn’t support transparency under plain fluxbox.

So out of those three, roxterm meets my requirements best, I think.

To install it, I download the .deb package file in the folder /var/cache/apt/archives and install from the command line with ‘apt install’. Installing roxterm required two .deb files, because of a dependency on roxterm-common. In case of many dependencies, editing the sources would be easier of course. But I think I would not risk installing it in that case.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I’ll build and upload the very latest roxterm for antiX

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.