Hello all, how suited is AntiX on modern systems?

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello all, how suited is AntiX on modern systems?

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Apr 9-11:36 pm by PDP-8.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BearCA

For example, I have an Asus ROG Zephyrus 14 with an AMD 5900HS, 16 GB RAM, and a discrete Nvidia 3060.

Will it be able to accommodate switching between integrated and discrete graphics as desired?

I look forward to meeting more in the community and sharing knowledge, such as when I discovered how to fix an unresponsive touchpad on an old laptop with Mint, and shared the solution on their discussion forum after I outlined the issue and the fix I found.

Xunzi_23

Hi BearCA, welcome to the global village of antiXia,
        It is unlikely anyone here has same gaming laptop. but maybe I am wrong :-)..
        Best advice I am able to give is try running live with latest kernel, i.e.23.1 full version of
        should that fail.
        MX has an unofficial advanced hardware support
        version and more devs and helpers so maybe also worth a trial and forum post. As antiX and MX share
        in many respects, system d biggest exception transferring knowledge is useful and welcome, often easy.

Should latest antiX kernel not support your processor Liquorix might be a useful option.
        As for discrete Nvidia graphics, that may well be the biggest hurdle, other forums likely to be able to
        help more as the device is so specific.
        If I get stonewalled I search Arch, Buntu and Reddit, bigger communitys means more chance someone has
        given useful advice. Buntu is nearer as the os is debian based,
        I think the Archers are more to the forefront and many forum members very knowledgeable, much applies to
        any linux, just often different details.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/
        Has to be first place to look for linux driver support.

Running antiX as rolling sid setup may also assist in getting your best possible hardware support.

marcelocripe

Hello BearCA.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

Please learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum by reading the threads I linked in my real welcome. Please note that there are 3 editions of antiX from series 19, 21 or 22 and 23 that have technical support in this forum. Each edition has 4 ISO images (full, base, net and core) on two different boot system types, SyVinit and Runit. If my sum is not wrong, at the present date there are about 32 different types of operating systems. That’s why you need to learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum.

marcelocripe
          (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá, BearCA.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.

Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

Por favor, aprenda a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX lendo os tópicos que eu indiquei na minha verdadeira boas-vindas. Saiba que existem 3 edições do antiX, das séries 19, 21 ou 22 e 23 que possuem suporte técnico neste fórum. Cada edição possui 4 imagens ISOs (full, base, net e core) em dois tipos de sistema de inicialização diferentes, o SyVinit e o Runit. Se a minha soma não estiver errada, na presente data são cerca de 32 tipos diferentes de sistema operacionais. É por isso que você precisa aprender a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX.

marcelocripe
          (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

techore

Will it be able to accommodate switching between integrated and discrete graphics as desired?

Depending on what you are envisioning as “switching,” you may have to do a bit of work.

I using a 2022 Asus Strix model with an AMD discrete GPU. I needed to install a kernel from Debian repository for some of my devices where not supported using the newest antiX 6.x kernel. Using the discrete GPU worked but switching requires a reboot but I have not focused time on it, recently.

Love to hear how your efforts go.

System:
              Kernel: 6.5.0-0.deb12.4-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
              Desktop: dusk v: 1.0 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
            Machine:
              Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: ROG Strix G513QY_G513QY v: 1.0
                serial: <superuser required>
              Mobo: ASUSTeK model: G513QY v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
                UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: G513QY.318 date: 03/29/2022
            CPU:
              Info: 8-core model: AMD Ryzen 9 5980HX with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
                type: MT MCP cache: L2: 4 MiB
              Speed (MHz): avg: 400 min/max: 400/5025 cores: 1: 400 2: 400 3: 400 4: 400
                5: 400 6: 400 7: 400 8: 400 9: 400 10: 400 11: 400 12: 400 13: 400 14: 400
                15: 400 16: 400
            Graphics:
              Device-1: AMD Navi 22 [Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT/6750 XT / 6800M/6850M XT]
                driver: amdgpu v: kernel
              Device-2: AMD Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Mobile Series]
                driver: amdgpu v: kernel
              Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
                unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu
                resolution: 2560x1440~165Hz
              API: EGL v: 1.4,1.5 drivers: kms_swrast,radeonsi,swrast
                platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
              API: OpenGL v: 4.6 vendor: amd mesa v: 22.3.6 renderer: AMD Radeon
                Graphics (renoir LLVM 15.0.6 DRM 3.54 6.5.0-0.deb12.4-amd64)
            Info:
              Memory: total: 32 GiB note: est. available: 30.75 GiB used: 803.3 MiB (2.6%)
              Processes: 344 Uptime: 4m Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.33
            PDP-8

Works GREAT on modern gear, but nobody can really tell you what your use-case is. Especially if the gear has just been released, the usual Linux caveats apply.

Personally, while antiX works great on older gear, I dislike pigeon-holing it into that category as some may overlook it thinking it is just a bunch of guys pining for the old days. Far from it! Whatever rocks your boat. Heh, 16gb of ram, I’d be using the TORAM cheat code all the time!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.