Hello all –

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello all –

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Aug 2-12:52 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    decaturIBM8215

Hello all-

Am thoroughly pleased with antiX 19.4: I don’t think I’ve been this gung-ho about an OS since OS/2 2.1. I’m another systemd refugee (Lubuntu, was beginning to wonder if I even understood what ‘ls’ was supposed to do). AntiX has happily replaced Lubuntu on a machine that also dual-boots OS/2 Warp 4. . .and antiX is actually faster than my old standby in places. Hardware is Celeron (neutered Pentium 4) Thinkcentre, 1gb RAM, 120gb hdd.

Also at first glance it looks like the forum is missing a lot of the. . . personally frustrating bits. . . of say the Ubuntu forums. . .

All the best && big thank you-
    Tim

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello decaturIBM8215,

Welcome to antiX Linux and to the forum.

I don’t know how to write in English language, so I send you my texts translated by internet translator, I hope you can understand everything.

Regardless of your level of knowledge about GNU/Linux, I recommend you read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie and How-to install applications – 2020 version.

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, by checking this option you will receive a message in your email inbox whenever there are replies to the topic in question.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

– – – – –

Olá decaturIBM8215,

Seja bem-vindo ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma inglês, por isso eu te envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet, eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo.

Independentemente do seu nível de conhecimento sobre GNU/Linux, eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutoriais criados pelo @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie e How-to install applications – 2020 version.

Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, marcando esta opção, você receberá uma mensagem na sua caixa de e-mail sempre que houver respostas do tópico em questão.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome aboard, decaturIBM8215. 🙂

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2018

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome to the global village of antiXians,
    very much agree on the forum although some of us can be a bit gritty at times we do our best to help and usualy are able to solve problems.

The forum can be a bit difficult to search so at times you will have to play a bit with your keywords, it is a free version unlike one from
    owned by asouth african multimillionare (or is it billions?).

Interesting hardware software combo you are running,No OS/2 experience.
    I consider antiX to be the best just get things done OS since the work of Jack Tramiel on a much modified Atari St, that is still capable in many
    areas after so many years.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by ModdIt.
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up

Hi and welcome.
    antiX is light, full of features and very function- if you don’t mind using an interface very similar to Windows XP’s- but that does simply work (the great thing is that, if you want more “modern” interfaces you can edit antiX’s defaults to make it suit your needs- you can edit the toolbar, the menus, wallpapers, etc). Having the Debian repository and flatpaks working means that you can install almost any application in existence (that is able to run on your limited hardware, I mean) except stuff in “snap” format!
    And if you need any kind of help, I know not of any better bunch of people to ask for help!

P.

decaturIBM8215
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you all for the suggestions — “simply works” rates rather high. . . did want to mention the supplied hosts file that had pre-blocked a lot of advertisement is a wonderful present: “Look, less crap!” And the hardware doesn’t feel limited, I’m not looking at a lot of twirling-balls-of-wait. No systemd, no netplan, and every advertiser pre-assigned
    127.0.0.1. Machine feels new again. . .

Happy 2 August to you all-

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, I ran OS/2 2.1 at one point. It had nice documentation, and was well thought out. I was working on and connecting to a new AS400 at the time.

With a relatively low powered system, I’d recommend a setup like I have on the P II I use for testing. Unless you like tiling window managers, I’d suggest trying either the IceWM or min-IceWM desktop setups. The Rox-IceWM and Space-IceWM desktops use more memory and CPU. You can easily try the different desktops right from Desktop menu or by pressing F1 at to cycle through them at the login screen. The min-IceWM setup is totally no frills, and the IceWM setup is my favorite. With the system monitors at the bottom right, you might find you don’t need to also run the conky system monitor, but you will note it can also be turned on/off from the desktop menu.

Anyway, if you have questions, try the Forum, Search here on the menu bar pulldown at upper left, or videos from antiX Home, or FAQ, or Wiki. If you don’t find an answer in one of those, put in a post someone will probably be able to help or know where to look….

decaturIBM8215
    Helpful
    Up

Yes have already made the switch to IceWM. Have been tinkering with iptables to get the in-home LAN to work; the machine will have a temporary part time job as router. I had it working in the Live setup (which was the death knell for the Lubuntu partition), but I think I’m holding my mouth wrong now or am missing something. Bonding time with the machine, so I’m not worried yet. Idiot boy here didn’t keep any persistance between live and HDD install though.
    Currently, Droopy works, ping local works. ip-forward on. resolv.conf handled by connman.

Was always an OS/2 fan, long after it was cool, if it ever was. Never had the opportunity to touch an AS/400. ArcaOs is too expensive for my budget, and I think would be too big in any case for the 8215. Still rely on a couple of OS/2 native graphics programs. . .and the test computer for the home lan is a 77 PS/2 under Warp3 Connect:)

maybe this is an interesting antiX – OS/2 oddity: Lubuntu would not write to a mounted HPFS partition, antiX will. I’m not sure that I would trust it to not screw up the HPFS partition; mount utility did complain when I tried to set it to readonly that HPFS wasn’t something it understood. (not the error messages I got, but my interpretation). OS/2 did not complain on it’s next boot, either, and CHKDSK reported no errors. . .

Remember once reading (and disagreeing) that Linux was ‘playful’. This might be the first time a Linux is for me, even going to the test computer for the LAN, i keep forgetting to reverse my slashes from “/” to “\” <grin>.

Thank you again for the suggestions, i’ve been chasing some of them with my iptables bit. . .

Happy 3rd August

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome to antiX @decaturIBM8215. AntiX has helped me to keep several old systems alive, including some of similar specs to your IBM 8215. I also dabbled in OS/2 but came late to the party. I have one system running OS/2 for Win 3.1 and I have both Warp 3 and Warp 4 installed. But I spend most of my time now in Linux with antiX.

Seaken64

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.