Hello And Greetings From The UK

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello And Greetings From The UK

• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Feb 23-10:52 pm by roland.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    The Lone SniperThe Lone Sniper

Hello everyone and greetings from the UK 🙂

Another longtime Windoze user (since Win95)that is new to Linux, here is a little background information on how I got here.

To cut a long story short my main laptop is beyond repair (fixing it is going to cost more then it worth in the long run) plus in the current climate and state of affairs, I really can’t justify spending a lot of cash on either repairing it, purchasing a new laptop or building a new PC rig. So I’ve dug out and dusted off my old 2011 laptop and decided to recycle it (I had some ram and a spare solid state hard drive laying about which I’ve upgraded)

My laptop specs are the following:

Compaq Presario CQ57
    AMD E-450 1.65 GHz Dual Core Processor With Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6320M
    8GB Crucial DDR3 PC3-12800 SODIMM Ram (2x 4GB Sticks)
    Kingston KC600 256GB SSD

Firstly I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone that is involved in this Linux distro! After testing and digging through the multitude of different lightweight Distros out there, I stumbled onto antiX and boy was I impressed with how lean, mean and downright snappy this distro is. It makes my bottom end CPU which to be honest in 2021 has all the processing power of a baked potato feel like it running on rocket fuel, I really cant begin to describe how great this distro is!

Also many thanks to the users in this forum, I’ve been reading some great beginner sticky threads which have been a really great help on my road to learning more about antiX and how it works. I’ve got a couple of programs that I used daily on Windows that arent Linux native so I need to do some research in finding Linux alternatives but overall I’m really enjoying my first taste and experience of Linux.

Obviously I’ve got a long way to go and so much to learn but I’m here for the long haul, I look forward to getting to know you all and hopefully adding something positive to this community.

programs [..] finding Linux alternatives

here’s a starting point: https://alternativeto.net/
    Their site search enables you to apply a filter (opensource only) (platform:linux)

If you care to mention the programs by name, folks can probably suggest equivalent alternative replacements.

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Hi The Lone Sniper,

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

You have read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie

and

How-to install applications – 2020 version

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

I hope you can understand my words translated by the internet translator into your language.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá The Lone Sniper,

Seja muito bem-vindo ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Você leu estes excelentes tutorias criados pelo @PPC:

e

Quando você inciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

Eu espero que você consiga compreender as minhas palavras traduzidas pelo tradutor da internet para o seu idioma.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em idioma português do Brasil)

Hi and welcome!
    I have nothing to add to what was said in the previous post except this: if you want to run antiX with a more familiar interface, take a look at my thread over at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-transformation-pack-min-fluxbox-with-tint2-toolbar-antix-ft-10/

Almost any internet browser you can think of runs in antiX (most are available in out Packet Installer), for any other software, just ask around, except if it’s a really specific (like I want to run Photoshop in Linux), you’ll probably be pretty happy with the results…

P.

fatmacfatmac

Welcome aboard. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

@the-lone-sniper:

Welcome to antiX!

Brian Masinick

programs [..] finding Linux alternatives

here’s a starting point: https://alternativeto.net/
    Their site search enables you to apply a filter (opensource only) (platform:linux)

If you care to mention the programs by name, folks can probably suggest equivalent alternative replacements.

Many thanks for the great link Skidoo, I’ve used it and manged to find an open source replacement for 2 of my programs 🙂 Just got the last one left and it’s the main program I use which is Mediamonkey, I need to find an open source alternative, I’ve had a brief dig around on google and there are many open source players out there so it more of a case of comparing, installing and giving them a good live testing

Hi The Lone Sniper,

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

You have read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

and

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

I hope you can understand my words translated by the internet translator into your language.

marcelocripe

Hello marcelocripe, thank you for the very useful links (I’ve already got them bookmarked in firefox for reference purposes) Thank you for pointing my attention to the “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” option, I must of missed it and scrolled straight past it but I will make sure I tick it in future. Yes I can understand everything you have written in the word translator 🙂

Hi and welcome!
    I have nothing to add to what was said in the previous post except this: if you want to run antiX with a more familiar interface, take a look at my thread over at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-transformation-pack-min-fluxbox-with-tint2-toolbar-antix-ft-10/

Almost any internet browser you can think of runs in antiX (most are available in out Packet Installer), for any other software, just ask around, except if it’s a really specific (like I want to run Photoshop in Linux), you’ll probably be pretty happy with the results…

P.

Thanks for the welcome PPC 🙂 Many thanks for pointing my attention at your thread I will check it out

Welcome aboard.

@the-lone-sniper:

Welcome to antiX!

Many thanks for the warm welcome fatmac and Brian Masinick 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by caprea.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by anticapitalista. Reason: removed huge smiley image
    Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Howdy and Welcome. I just realized your model number of laptop sounded a bit familiar.

harry@biker:~
    $ inxi -M
    Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: Presario CQ57 Notebook PC v: 068C110003204910000620100
               Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3577 v: 24.48
               Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: F.42 date: 11/07/2011
    $ sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for harry: 

Disk /dev/sda: 250 GB, 250056737280 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System 
    /dev/sda1   *           1          26      208813    7  HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sda2              26       27983   224564602    f  Extended LBA

/dev/sda5              26       15862   127202670    7  HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sda6           15862       17168    10490445   83  Linux

/dev/sda7           17168       27367    81923467   83  Linux

/dev/sda8           27367       27983     4948020   82  Linux swap

/dev/sda3           27983       29884    15269782    7  HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sda4           29884       30402     4160835    c  FAT32 LBA

$ sudo blkid
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="SYSTEM" UUID="10703818703806CE" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sda3: LABEL="Recovery" UUID="EE34B6F134B6BBC1" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sda4: LABEL="HP_TOOLS" UUID="E4C1-BF34" TYPE="vfat" 
    /dev/sda5: UUID="01CF54DDED227E00" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sda6: LABEL="/" UUID="e04a6a3e-1446-4b49-9d77-be0631ab4db2" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sda7: LABEL="/home" UUID="11f34a48-8ae9-4ef6-ad1f-09a8414d6c52" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sda8: UUID="0cc96d73-6c68-4b68-b8a9-e7d8c03ed16e" TYPE="swap"

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cq-57+site%3Aantixlinux.com%2Fforum-archive%2F&ia=web

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Thanks for the welcome rokytnji 🙂 Don’t wish to dash your hopes but unfortunately that isn’t me

lubodlubod

@Lone Sniper:

If you have not yet, you will see soon enough that (Open Source, e.g. Unix and Linux) are intenational communities, which welcome all who wish to help.
    @anticapitalista is Greek (thank any god you like for Greece, he is a gent. and speaks Good Queen Bess’ English!)

Others are in the continental EU, Americans, and all other flavours of humanity.

If I may be so bold, I would outline some things we all believe: (if they disagree, this is a democracy led by our Greek leader, who speaks excellent English, so they have the right to say otherwise, always.)

Freedom: We refuse to serve Apple, Google, Microsoft or ANY nameless CORP. We want our personal info. to stay at home, They (I, with their help) drove GDPR and the like. We refuse to surrender personal info. (CORPS love to steal, to make money). You have friends who value privacy here.

No one-sided purchases. They sell a license, one time, and then want payment every decade or year. Open Source means, if you are a programmer, you have the code, to fix it for you. To hell with their profit. And you are obligated to share with others who fight profit and dictators, to the benefit of all humanity.

Being transnational, you’ve no idea how many nations citizen help, just ask, we all speak English, the lingua franca of the internet, but we also speak something more useful: Human understanding.

P.S. Been to London more than 6 times. Always find another nice thing to see and experience. As an American, am horified by Brexit and Johnson, they will (pardon my French) F your country for generations. Vote them out NOW, for the sake of the UK, please. As a EU citizen/Bulgarian it is even more clear: Johnson abuses xenophobia to LIE to the UK. Kick him in the arse. Please. Did you know, his grandpa is named Mustapha and is Turkish? Ask PM why he pretends to be UK, while he is a Turk? Ask him in Parliament to explain this, the corrupt Asian twat.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by lubod.

Restore older computers to working order.
    Computers everyone else insists are obsolete and useless.

Current recordholder:
    Generic Pentium III 600 Mhz with 512Mb RAM and 10Gb HD
    Working on Cyrix M2 333 Mhz with 64Mb RAM and OS on IDE to SD card 4Gb

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Actually, I’m not Greek, but a Brit living and working in Greece.
    This forum is tolerant of all races (but we have zero tolerance for racists), creeds, religions (but not tolerant of religious bigots) or none here, so no more ‘Asian twa*’ (or any other derogatory remarks like this).
    Just call him what he is – a corrupt Tory bigot.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Greetings lubod and anticapitalista 🙂

Yeah it time to give the power back to the people from evil capitalism

Yeah the damage has been done sadly but there is no way Johnson will get voted again or the Tories for a long time. He bodge Brexit and don’t get me started on the way he handled the coronavirus, running about with his head up his arse, while completely selling out the people to help his mates. The whole pandemic was vastly mishandled from the start and the major trouble we have is none of the other parties are much better either to be honest (They are all corrupt and are in it like a reversed Robin Hood, stealing from the poor to feed the rich)

lubodlubod

@ Sir anticapitalista:

Please accept my US apologies, if I offend you, or anoyone. Not my intent, by any means.

I merely wish to underline this is an international community founded on humanity and trust.

You are of course right: HE is a corrupt Tory Bigot. God help the UK to be rid of his ilk. whoever they are.

And thank you for making antix, it helps all humanity.

@ Lone Sniper:

We lived this in America with the right wing Trump. We ejected him peacefully and democractically. Perhaps you may succeed as well with the colored blond Tory. I wish you luck, Sir, to help Brits themselves, and to be rid of xenophobes. I hope this is acceptable to our Benevolent Dictator for Life. No sarcasm, a real honest question. If I use hate speech, tell me, I do not wish to offend. Sometimes I can’t hold back, with “people” like Johnson who harm NOT only the UK, or even EU, but the world. Forgive me for defending human rights against those like him I barely consider human.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by lubod.

Restore older computers to working order.
    Computers everyone else insists are obsolete and useless.

Current recordholder:
    Generic Pentium III 600 Mhz with 512Mb RAM and 10Gb HD
    Working on Cyrix M2 333 Mhz with 64Mb RAM and OS on IDE to SD card 4Gb

@ Lone Sniper:

We lived this in America with the right wing Trump. We ejected him peacefully and democractically. Perhaps you may succeed as well with the colored blond Tory. I wish you luck, Sir, to help Brits themselves, and to be rid of xenophobes. I hope this is acceptable to our Benevolent Dictator for Life. No sarcasm, a real honest question. If I use hate speech, tell me, I do not wish to offend. Sometimes I can’t hold back, with “people” like Johnson who harm NOT only the UK, or even EU, but the world. Forgive me for defending human rights against those like him I barely consider human.

Yeah hopefully we will get rid of him 🙂 I knew he was going to be a royal screw up for the start when he took off and he rubbed the whole country up the wrong way and hopefully its opened peoples eye to start voting and get rid of these evil corrupt people. No worries you haven’t offended me, it takes more then a few words to offend me I’m pretty laid back these days

rolandroland

I’m sure you will never look at another distro. I came to antiX Luddite quite by accident several years ago, after trying the mainstream and more popular distros and found them wanting. I have since then worked through the antiX release numbers, usually a release behind the latest but these days right up to date. You will quickly find yourself a satisfied user!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.