Hello AntiX (from an EeePC)

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello AntiX (from an EeePC)

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jan 25-11:25 pm by PPC.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    little

Hi AntiX,

I came upon AntiX after trying to update my fun little Asus Eeepc 900: 9 inch display, 1GB Ram, 900Mhz Celeron M (32bit).

I had previously installed (customise and optimised) Xubuntu 12.04 but it was a little out of date (Firefox and Chrome had stopped updating a few years ago). XFCE ran very quick on this little laptop and I still have it on the 4GB internal flash drive*, at the moment. Firstly, I found that Xubuntu (Ubuntu) dropped 32bit in 2018 (which I agree with being a developer myself). I checked DistroWatch and it said that MX Linux supported 32bit and so I installed the lightest weight Fluxbox edition, on the old Eeepc. Unfortunately, this did not go well using about half the RAM and quite slow. Still, I did not want to chuck the Eeepc in the bin.

From MX Linux I discovered AntiX and that runs much much happier on the Eeepc 🙂

* the Eeepc has 2 internal flash drives: 4GB (faster) and 16GB. I also have a 32GB SD card installed.

I made some notes:

• I used the F2FS filesystem on the 16GB flash AntiX uses ~100MB (compared with ~120MB for ancient Xubuntu) and is much snappier than MX Linux.
      • Browsers are a problem: Firefox ESR pinfully slow, had an error Chromium: requires SSE3 (this laptop only has SSE2).
      • SeaMonkey/Palemoon: SeaMonkey works best – funnily I used SeaMonkey in the late 90s when it was forked from Netscape (I didn’t know it was still developed).

Things I’d like to try:
      • Download and compile the latest Mplayer source code to get videos/DVDs playing well.
      • Install SMplayer Gui and change settings to point to my compiled Mplayer.
      • Try out XFCE (Lite) and LXQT desktops. See if full desktop environment is feasible. Old Xubuntu XFCE ran fine.
      • Get TP-Link dual band WiFi USB dongle working (Realtek TP-Link Archer T3U) by building the kernel module (works fine on Ubuntu with kernel 6.5).
      • (Optimise disk usage to make use of the faster 4GB flash drive).

I have a question:

What’s the recommended way to do/install some battery/power management?
      Things like what do I want closing the laptop lid do? (suspend?)
      How long before the display or system goes to sleep (suspend)?
      Etc.
      The XFCE power manager worked excellently even on the ancient Xubuntu – should I install that?

Thanks!

marcelocripe

Hello little.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

marcelocripe
        (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá, little.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.
        Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

marcelocripe
        (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

marcelocripe
          Xunzi_23

Hi little and welcome to the forum, you have an interesting device and story :-).

Sorry, my EEPC is much newer, a clamshell with luxury 2 GB Ram and 128GB SSD, means
            no hands on experience with your very different device.

marcelocripe

• Browsers are a problem: Firefox ESR pinfully slow, had an error Chromium: requires SSE3 (this laptop only has SSE2).

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/browsers-for-old-cpus/

• SeaMonkey/Palemoon: SeaMonkey works best – funnily I used SeaMonkey in the late 90s when it was forked from Netscape (I didn’t know it was still developed).

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/seamonkey-new-version/

You don’t need to use “SMplayer Gui”, because ISO full antiX has Celluloid and MPV.
              (Você não precisa utilizar o “SMplayer Gui”, porque o antiX da ISO full possui o Celluloid e o MPV.)

• Try out XFCE (Lite) and LXQT desktops. See if full desktop environment is feasible. Old Xubuntu XFCE ran fine.

Don’t do that! If you install a “desktop environment” it will make your antiX slow. First read the topics I indicated in my real welcome. First learn the reasons why antiX doesn’t use “desktop environments” and what zzz, ROX, IceWM, JWM and Fluxbox are. If you read more, it will make you waste less time testing.

(Não faça isso! Se você fizer a instalação de um “desktop environment” vai tonar o seu antiX lento. Primeiro leia os tópicos que eu indiquei na minha verdadeira boas-vindas. Primeiro aprenda os motivos que o antiX não utiliza os “desktop environment” e o que são zzz, ROX, IceWM, JWM e o Fluxbox. Se você ler mais, vai fazer você perder menos tempo com testes.)

Click on the antiX menu, Control Center, Session, click on the Screen Saver Settings option. Use the slider to increase or decrease the time and click the OK button.

I couldn’t understand your other questions or comments with machine translation.
              I hope this information helps you in your transition from GNU/Linux operating systems.

(Clique no menu do antiX, Centro de Controle, Sessão, clique na opção Configurações de Proteção de Tela. Utilize o controle deslizante para aumentar ou diminuir o tempo e clique no botão OK.

As suas outras perguntas ou comentários eu não consegui compreender com a tradução automática.
              Eu espero que estas informações te ajudem na sua transição de sistemas operacionais GNU/Linux.)

PPC

Things I’d like to try:
                • Download and compile the latest Mplayer source code to get videos/DVDs playing well.
                • Get TP-Link dual band WiFi USB dongle working (Realtek TP-Link Archer T3U) by building the kernel module (works fine on Ubuntu with kernel 6.5).
                • (Optimise disk usage to make use of the faster 4GB flash drive).

I have a question:

Etc.
                The XFCE power manager worked excellently even on the ancient Xubuntu – should I install that?

Hi, and welcome to antiX!
                – Don’t try to compile anything, not on such low powered device.
                – Use mpv, provided in antiX. If required, use Package Installer to install the package required to play DVDs.
                – smtube is already included in antiX full (to watch youtube). If you really mean smplayer, you can install it, but antiX full includes mpv and it’s front-end Celulloid. You are installing apps that do stuff that pre-installed apps do just fine (smplayer is light, but using mpv directly is even lighter, and it has its own basic GUI!)
                – I don’t advise installing any Desktop Environment. The default antiX “desktop” is already almost as feature rich as any D.E. and runs much faster and lighter.
                – Please do read the Unofficial antiX 23 FAQ’s, here in the forum. There’s one entry about making the laptop suspend/etc when the lid is closed (and also lots of other tips).
                – You can install xfce power manager, if you really want to.

EDIT: in my case, the video player that offers the best result, in my 32bits laptop is Xine, available in Package Installer. I can even play full HD videos, on a 20+ years old laptop…

P.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by PPC.
                • This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by PPC.
                abc-nix

You could install thermald to better manage the temps.
                  You could set the tlp mode to “battery” so that it keeps cool.
                  This topic may be of interest to you.

As PPC already mentioned, have a look at the FAQ. Specifically, this message.

little

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies I appreciate your input and taking the time for replying. The information you’ve given is very useful. I’m finding the IceWM a bit odd coming from XFCE before, but I am getting used to it slowly and appreciate how little RAM and CPU it uses while letting me do things like email and browsing with SeaMonkey (which works surprisingly well).

I will keep you up to date with my progress any discoveries I make while pushing the system. I need to try out the iso snapshots too to get a backup of my system.

PPC

The screen turning off after a certain idle time can be set from Control Centre, like explained above.
                      For putting the system to sleep after a certain idle time, I created a script that does that: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/tiny-script-to-suspend-the-computer-if-iddle-for-x-minutes/

P.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.