hello everybody

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX hello everybody

• This topic has 20 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Mar 4-11:00 pm by chermany4ever.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    chermany4ever

Hi guys. I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I’m new to the linux world and after looking at several distributions I decided to go for antiX ’cause my machine is more than 10 years old.

I’m very happy with the speed and the light impact antiX has on resources but I need to learn a few things. Obviously I need some help. I wanted to ask you which is the section where I should post questions regarding help. I’ve searched everywhere for information but I haven’t been able to solve the problem. Thank you in advance.

PPC

Hi and welcome to antiX.
        First, before asking any question, my advice would be to take a look at our unofficial FAQ’s, over at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/unoficial-antix-23-frequently-asked-questions/
        They help new users learn how to do most stuff, like changing the desktop wallpaper, adding icons to the toolbar or to the desktop, setting up Wi-Fi, changing the screen resolution, installing apps, etc.
        The introduction text on the FAQ’s also point to other threads, that explain basic and generic stuff, like what Linux and antiX are, what are antiX “desktops”, the basics of using the terminal and scripts, etc. Also, there’s a post about how to exactly ask for help in the forum: generically always describe what you need help with in the thread’s title. Just saying something like “I need help” just is not descriptive at all. Also, always mention exactly what antiX version you are running (ex: antiX 23.1 Full, 64bits, Runnit Version) and, for hardware problems, please see how to provide us with your full system information (tip: if using antiX 23 or later, you can use the System Information entry in Control Center to easily get your system information).
        You can ask questions here, or in the Hardware, Software sections (depending on the problem, of course), or the section related to your antiX version (like “antiX 23”).

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
        pb

Welcome chermany4ever, you will not be disappointed, my Asus V6800V (2GB RAM) bought in march 2005 works very well under antiX23.

pierrebulens

Forum Admin
          rokytnji

Howdy and Welcome. The FAQ sticky is where You can start. Marcelio when he greets you has a good link also.

Just lay back and have fun. Don’t get frustrated when you can’t do something.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
            I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

marcelocripe

Hello chermany4ever.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the Forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything. If your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators and you will get a much better result.

Please read my real welcome in the Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 23) and Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum (antiX 19, 21 and 22) thread.

Please learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum by reading the threads I linked in my real welcome. Please note that there are 3 editions of antiX from series 19, 21 or 22 and 23 that have technical support in this forum. Each edition has 4 ISO images (full, base, net and core) on two different boot system types, SyVinit and Runit. If my sum is not wrong, at the present date there are about 32 different types of operating systems. That’s why you need to learn how to ask for help here on the antiX forum.

marcelocripe
              (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá, chermany4ever.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo. Se o seu idioma nativo não for o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em Português no Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet que você obterá um resultado muito melhor.

Por favor, leia a minha verdadeira boas-vindas no tópico Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 23) e Seja bem-vindo (a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum (antiX 19, 21 e 22).

Por favor, aprenda a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX lendo os tópicos que eu indiquei na minha verdadeira boas-vindas. Saiba que existem 3 edições do antiX, das séries 19, 21 ou 22 e 23 que possuem suporte técnico neste fórum. Cada edição possui 4 imagens ISOs (full, base, net e core) em dois tipos de sistema de inicialização diferentes, o SyVinit e o Runit. Se a minha soma não estiver errada, na presente data são cerca de 32 tipos diferentes de sistema operacionais. É por isso que você precisa aprender a pedir ajuda aqui no fórum do antiX. 

marcelocripe
              (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

chermany4ever

Oh guys, you’ve been so sweet and to the point that I feel positive. I’ve seen how people who ask for help are treated in other environments and I’m a bit scared, in all honesty. So I’ve tried to solve my issue on my own but I haven’t been able to… I haven’t worked with commands since the DOS days!

Thanks again: 🙂

Brian Masinick

@chermany4ever Great to see you here and enjoying your old system!
                  We are a small community overall, yet we are one of the largest
                  communities for 32-bit systems and older hardware in general.
                  Welcome from South Carolina in the USA!

--
                  Brian Masinick

chermany4ever

Guys, I’ve checked the links you provided and they are threads about welcome and help on common problems. I need to know is where is the right place in the forum to ask for help on uncommon problems. I googled to try to solve my problem on my own but I haven’t been able to, so I decided to enter the forum to ask you directly… but I don’t see a help section. I need help and I don’t see anything about my problem in FAQs or in the links you gave me.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by chermany4ever.
                    Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

So you are saying putting your problem in a browser bar including site:www.antixforum.com afterwards gives no results?

Might as well start a thread then. We are a easy going bunch here. Till you cuss us out.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

chermany4ever

Welcome from South Carolina in the USA!

Hi there Brian, I’m from Patagonia, Argentina. Nice to meet you!

Olá, chermany4ever.

Olá Marcelo, I understand brazilian portuguese very well, as an argentinian neighbour I’ve been to Brazil a couple of times. But I guess english is the norm today. Specially on tech. Thanks for the tips!

So you are saying putting your problem in a browser bar including site:www.antixforum.com afterwards gives no results?

Might as well start a thread then. We are a easy going bunch here. Till you cuss us out.

No direct results about my issue Roky. I didn’t know I was able to start a thread right here. In most forums there’s always a designated help section and participants get disgusted if you open a thread anywhere. I would never cuss at you. Nowadays I don’t even cuss ppl deserving to be cussed. 😛

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by chermany4ever.
                        abc-nix

Hi, and welcome.

By how the forum categories are divided, you can:
                          * Ask for help related to your installed version of antiX in the corresponding subforum. Example, ask for antiX 23, you can ask for help in the antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo subforum.
                          * If you are asking for assistance for a specific program, you can ask in the Software subforum.
                          * If you are having trouble with a specific device, like a USB wifi adapter, a bluetooth adapter, a graphic card, etc. you can open a new thread in the Hardware subforum.
                          * If you have no idea where your issue fits, most users ask in the New Users and General Questions subforum.

chermany4ever

All right then. I think I understand how you ask for help here. I’m being very careful not to upset anyone.

Thank you very much abc-nix and again thanks to the rest of the guys.

PPC

I think I understand how you ask for help here. I’m being very careful not to upset anyone.

Hum… I did try to explain how to ask for help, but abc-nix was more detailed on that subject. Just one extra tip: avoid “necroposting”- i.e. posting on a thread that’s been dead for quite a while, UNLESS you find the solution for an unsolved problem mentioned on that thread. If you have the exact same problem as mentioned on an active thread, it may be worthwhile to post on that thread, but usually I recommend that you should create a new thread, since that usually no 2 different computers and systems are exactly alike, something that worked for an user may not work for you.
                              Like advised, try using internet search engines to search the forum, like so:

site:www.antixforum.com dual boot

will find all posts related to dual boot in this forum.
                              For this to work, you have to be precise in the terms you want to search form, but use the least words possible. If you have problems with a particular driver, example, for “ZXY video card”, don’t search for “How do I find ZXY drivers for antiX linux 23.1?”. That search terms include lots of different words that are irrelevant. Search just simpler expressions, like: “ZXY” “ZXY driver” “ZXY 23.1”, etc.

EDIT: by the way, I’m from Portugal. The Portuguese section is one of the largest of the forum. If your Portuguese is better than your English, the unofficial FAQ’s are available in portuguese too, over there!

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                              chermany4ever

Thanks P.! Crystal clear. Yesterday I used that prefix search technique, pretty clever. But I didn’t find anything regarding my problem, which is how to set the proxy for the whole system. As soon as you install antiX you can change the proxy address and port in Firefox and browse, but the rest of the system won’t connect, so I can’t install more programs from the repository. I get a connection error everytime.

I live on a large plot of land where many huts share the same wifi, so I’m not allowed to use a network cable, plus I’m far away from the signal and it’s an area with a cold and stormy climate. So I use my mobile phone as a repeater, but the phone doesn’t come with a repeater from factory, so I had to install an app that works perfect, but only through a proxy. I don’t think it’s that serious but I tried what I could find on how to do this in linux -although on other distros- to no avail. I used the export command from terminal and didn’t get any errors, apparently everything went fine, but I still can’t connect anything except for Firefox.

I installed antiX-19.5_x64-full ’cause I found it to be one of the lighter versions and I’m using a HDD disk. I know I should open a new thread, I’m just telling you what it’s all about, is no secret. I don’t mean to be ironic but I find it hard to believe that something that in windows is so easily solved, in several linux distros I’ve tried there seems to be no way to do it thru gui. Entering the wifi configuration, where it says proxy, there are things about packages and so on that I’ve never heard of in my life. Searching with the prefix plus the word “proxy” brings up results referring to DNS and so on that are not related to my problem.

Attachments:
                                abc-nix

I don’t remember what the network manager is in antiX 19, but setting up a proxy in antiX 23 is easy using connman and cmst (the graphical interface for connman).
                                  – You go to the “Details” tab, select the “service” (the wireless access point( from the drop-down list, click the “Configuration” button to open the configuration window, click Proxy and configure the proxy there, and save.

For antiX 19 I have no idea what network manager is being used, so you will have to search for it or ask in the antiX 19 subforum. Hopefully someone still remembers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.