Hello everyone :)

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello everyone :)

• This topic has 16 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Aug 2-1:23 pm by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello 🙂 I am new to this site and this OS. I would greatly appreciate if you could spare some time to help me get started. The main thing for me is that it has only free packages. Since the newest version has non-free elements in the kernel in order for the wifi to work, I would like to know what version before that would I need to install for it to have a free kernel and are the default repositories stretch main and no-systemd free? I would greatly appreciate every answer. I am new to this OS and I am aware that some questions may not be the best ones but I would appreciate if someone could lead me to some general information about this, so I could start. I would just like to know what is the newest version of core with the libre kernel, are the default repositions free and how to install X and everything needed for Openbox. Thanks in advance

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

Welcome.

I’ll answer some of your questions.

Latest libre core iso is antiX-16.2-core-libre. You can find iso files here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/antiX-16/

Default repos of that iso are free/libre.

This will get you a basic X apt-get install xorg

No idea about ‘everything needed for Openbox’

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Anonymous

Thanks for replying anticapitalista :). I thank you very much for this help. I would like to know is that the only package that is required before I can install a window manager, will it pull every package that is required? Also I would like to know is there some good guide for how to set up separate /home partition and encrypt it using the command line installer. All help is greatly appreciated. I don’t figure all of this myself because I am new to this distribution and just want to install it and set it up so some guide links for partition managing would be good. I would really like to use this distribution because it is fast and efficient, light and effective distribution. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Would it be more practical to start from “base” antiX instead of “core”, replace kernel with “libre” version, then install/run “vrms” package and remove (or post here to ask about) any “non-free” installed packages identified by vrms?

Anonymous

Yes but I find it easier to just install 16.2 with libre kernel and all other packages also libre, install just xorg openbox and other things needed, than to use somewhat bloated bigger versions like base. I need core because it’s lightweight. I don’t want to remove unnecessary packages, just install the ones I need in core.

Anonymous

Hello I would like to know about the install options when it comes to the partitions. Is there some guide for installing Antix Core and setting up partitions and also disk encryption? That would be of great help to me. Thanks in advance.

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

antiX core uses a cli-installer that is pretty basic. There is no option to set up encryption.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Anonymous

What is the newest version of Antix that offers encryption of hard disk and also uses the libre kernel, without any non free packages installed?

Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

There isn’t one that does all three you mention.

Anonymous

Is there some list with preinstalled packages for every version of Antix?

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

Is there some list with preinstalled packages for every version of Antix?

No there isn’t.

Anonymous

A while back, I had posted a list of packages present in antiX17 “full” version which are absent from the “base” version:
                            https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/upgrade-to-17-and-system-shut-down-from-desktop/#post-4473

If you’re curious to additionally determine “what packages are in base but not in core”, or “are in the ‘base’ version but not in ‘net’ version”
                            you can view the “build template” files here: http://github.com/antiX-Linux/Build-iso/tree/master/Template

Anonymous

Thank you for those lists. Is there an additional list with versions that use libre kernel and that don’t have non-free packages preinstalled?

Anonymous

Here’s where you might find a package list:
                                visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/antiX-16/ and retrieve “antiX-16.2_386-core-libre.iso” or “antiX-16.2_x64-core-libre.iso”

Mount the iso file of interest, and browse to ……/usr/share/antiX/
                                If that directory contains a file “installed-packages.txt”, that is the package manifest (lists all the pre-installed packages).

…and if that manifest file is absent, you can quickly recreate one. Liveboot the ISO of interest and issue this command:
                                dpkg -l >> /path/to/your/outputfile.txt

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. So is there some balance between the core version that is libre but doesn’t have encryption and others (base, full) that are not free? Is there a base or full version that doesn’t have any non-free packages preinstalled?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.