Hello. Happy to be part of AntiX as a user

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello. Happy to be part of AntiX as a user

Tagged: 

• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jul 26-7:49 am by Eduardo Lucas.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Eduardo Lucas

I’m really excited to be talking to all and i was motivated to do it because this distribution has been so important for me. I’ve first used it when i lost my main computer, had previous experiences with linux in general, but not particularly exciting or user-friendly. While i have studied computer science and i’m myself a dropout, i was quite averse to systems that didn’t work out of the box, and AntiX was a happy surprise for me. I had looked into it because of the terrible computer i was forced to use, not really because of its specs, but mostly because of its bad build quality. I`m from Brazil and most brazilians here must know about positivo, but even with the low resource profile of this distro, i was happy to see how great it worked and how friendly it was. IceWM is a charm and the mix of win95-OS/2 UI and 16 bit default color is beautiful.

I was lucky, even while unemployed, of getting a Zen 1 Ryzen laptop, after the old laptop i got as a gift lost its HDD. With a new machine in hand, i decided to optimize its power usage (power bills are quite expensive here at this moment, our country’s economics are not great either), so i reduced its power envelope to 5 watts. According to geekbench, this brings it to cpu performance of the best Pentium D from 2006. I was happy to see things working with windows, but the abusive virtual memory usage of win 10 was annoying me so much, along with subpar performance. Considering i have only 5.6gb of free RAM and that Vega 8 gpu on ryzen system on chip uses 2gb that can’t really be changed, i started worrying about SSD lifespan, as i can’t find reliable data about it and the company that designed it. So i remember about antiX.

After some troubles with Grub, i was able to install it and boot normally. Now i have all RAM i need for now, no swap memory, running at the same insanely low power envelope of before, with much better performance. But AntiX is so much more than sleek, it feels so useful because IceWM is so respectful of classical UI design guidelines, i see no invasive services and telemetry, no extra overhead from current windows NT and the like (i actually don’t like certain distros as well), i love how i will be safeguarded from adopting appleish mac OS like nonsensical walled garden locked system, i love my freedom, i love having a start button. Windows 11 is a no-go for me. Windows as we know it probably died in 10. Now i just hope android and wine app support improves in linux (i’m using anbox but houdini is limited by not using systemd, but i would never go for systemd to have it, wine works fine tho), so i can use absolutely anything i had on windows. I love old apps and games. Office 2000 is great, even while i’m 25.

I absolutely love how AntiX is designed, how powerful its philosophies are, i love how you guys try to save old computers from trash and challenge capitalism and its anti-ecological drive, especially from silicon valley, who wants to make us buy new computers and drop old ones, compromising people from poor countries in the process, who may be excluded from computing, internet, learning. I owe everything to the web and to tim berners lee and his team. We need people like those behind antix. to know pentium II computers and maybe even pentium pro may boot 32 bit antiX, and to see so many people refusing to go microsoft way (especially with win11 demanding, as an example, amd minimum zen+ chips) and be enslaved by big corporations demands and shareholder greed. Thanks for this. You guys make me happy and excited to never leave this system, and i love how warm and receptive this forum and the community behind it is.

It’s a pleasure to know you all and sorry for being so abstruse, lengthy, and for my possible english mistakes.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Eduardo Lucas.
    • This topic was modified 2 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: removed/replaced backticks
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you for posting and welcome to the small world of antiX.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome. Amazing the changes you have done to limit power use and make your machine more power efficient.

I also don’t use swap at all and never had a problem with any of the antiX installations. I don’t hibernate and always have enough RAM to spare, so no need for it at all. There was a time I had an unreliable HDD, so I was running antiX mainly from a USB device with persistence, and it is amazing how well it performed from a USB 2.0 port, It seemed to run better that many other distros installed on HDD. So that is another possibility if you ever need to run without a HDD, to run live + persistence from a USB device, which should be cheaper to buying a new HDD.

Welcome to the antiX community!

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Eduardo Lucas,

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

Regardless of your level of knowledge about GNU/Linux, I recommend you read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie, How-to install applications – 2020 versionHow-to install applications – 2020 version and the various Portuguese language tutorials in the area.

When you start any topic or participate with any post, remember to check the “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” option, by checking this option, you will receive a message in your email inbox whenever there are replies to the topic in question.

I don’t know how to write/read in English and I congratulate you for knowing how to write/read in English, for me to be able to communicate with the people here on the forum, I depend solely and exclusively on internet translators. And not only that, I was accepted/accepted here, even though I have no English skills, I even wrote in some threads that not all GNU/Linux communities accept newbies and even newbies without English skills, here there is no prejudice or exclusion of people who respect each other, making the environment very friendly.

The people here probably have no idea what this “positivo” company is (in English language it is “positive”), that despite the name, does not match with the quality of the commercialized products, the computers or notebooks are specified by this company and manufactured in China, according to the request of the client company. Through this company and others located in Brazil, we received a “flood” of motherboards with Via brand video cards. This compatibility problem was very well solved by Xecure, giving us the ISOs pseudo-antiX-19-legacy-bet3_386.iso and pseudo-antiX-19-legacy-bet3_x64.iso.md5 with kernel kernel 4.4. 0-264, thanks to these ISOs and the other gift, the antiX-19-legacy-bet2_386-base.iso of November 29, 2020, I am managing to revive several computers in the metropolitan region of the State of São Paulo and multiplying antiX, either through the installations of the operating system on the hard drive of the computer/notebook or through the Telegram, WhatsApp and YouTube groups. I hope these ISOs can also be useful for you. I met antiX 19.2 at the end of May 2020 and since then my search for a GNU/Linux distribution is over, all that was missing was to know if I could collaborate in some way with the distribution and if I could count with the help of the more experienced ones, even without my English language skills. After more than a year participating here on the antiX forum I can say for sure that this is my place and that I am in the right place. I hope that these ISOs can also be useful for you. I met antiX 19.2 at the end of May 2020 and since then my search for a GNU/Linux distribution is over, I just needed to know if I could collaborate in any way with the distribution and if I could count with the help of the more experienced ones, even if I don’t have English skills. After more than a year participating here on the antiX forum I can say for sure that this is my place and that I am in the right place. I hope you will stay with us, that you become a multiplier of antiX in the region where you live, this action will do a lot of good for our Brazilian people who pay a lot of money for food products that are produced on their own land.

The desktops that have “space” at the beginning of their name, are the ones that have the most similar behavior to what we find in Windows XP, they have the SpaceFM file manager as the default desktop. The solution created by PPC, presented also in Portuguese language is in the topic “How to make antiX look more modern (similar to Windows 10)”, may be useful for you.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá Eduardo Lucas,

Seja muito bem-vindo ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Independentemente do seu nível de conhecimento sobre GNU/Linux, eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutoriais criados pelo @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie, How-to install applications – 2020 version e os diversos tutorias da área em idioma Português.

Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, marcando esta opção, você receberá uma mensagem na sua caixa de e-mail sempre que houver respostas do tópico em questão.

Eu não sei escrever/ler em idioma Inglês e te parabenizo por saber escrever/ler em Inglês, para eu poder me comunicar com o pessoal daqui do fórum, eu dependo única e exclusivamente dos tradutores da internet. E não é só isso, me aceitaram/aceitam aqui, mesmo sem eu ter habilidade com o idioma Inglês, inclusive eu escrevi em alguns tópicos que nem todas as comunidades GNU/Linux aceitam novatos e ainda novatos sem habilidades com o idioma Inglês, aqui não há preconceitos ou exclusões de pessoas que se respeitam, tornando o ambiente muito amigável.

O pessoal aqui, muito provavelmente não tem ideia do que é esta empresa “positivo” (em idioma Inglês é “positive”), que apesar do nome, não condiz com a qualidade dos produtos comercializados, os computadores ou notebooks são especificados por esta empresa e fabricados na China, conforme a solicitação da empresa cliente. Por meio desta empresa e de outras localizadas no Brasil, recebemos uma “enxurrada” de placas-mães com placa de vídeo da marca Via. Este problema de compatibilidade foi muito bem solucionado pelo Xecure, nos presenteando com as ISOs pseudo-antiX-19-legacy-bet3_386.iso e pseudo-antiX-19-legacy-bet3_x64.iso.md5 com kernel kernel 4.4.0-264, graças a estas ISOs e ao outro presente, a ISO antiX-19-legacy-bet2_386-base.iso do dia 29 de novembro de 2020, eu estou conseguindo reviver vários computadores na região metropolitana do Estado de São Paulo e multiplicando o antiX, seja através das instalações do sistema operacional no disco rígido do computador/notebook ou através dos grupos de Telegram, WhatsApp e YouTube. Eu espero que estas ISOs também possam ser úteis para você. Eu conheci o antiX 19.2 no final do mês de maio de 2020 e desde então a minha busca por uma distribuição GNU/Linux acabou, só faltava saber se eu poderia colaborar de alguma forma com a distribuição e se eu poderia contar com a ajuda dos mais experientes, mesmos sem eu ter habilidades com o idioma Inglês. Após mais de um ano participando aqui no fórum do antiX, eu posso falar toda certeza que aqui é o meu lugar e que estou no lugar certo. Eu espero que você fique conosco, que se torne um multiplicador do antiX na região que você mora, esta ação fará muito bem para o nosso povo Brasileiro que paga muito caro pelos produtos alimentícios que são produzidos na própria terra.

As áreas de trabalho que possuem “space” no início do seu nome, são as que possuem o comportamento mais semelhantes ao que encontramos no Windows XP, possuem o gerenciador de arquivos SpaceFM como padrão da área de trabalho. A solução criada pelo PPC, apresentada também em idioma Português está no tópico “Como deixar o antiX com aspecto mais moderno (similar ao Windows 10)”, pode ser útil para você.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Eduardo Lucas
    Helpful
    Up

Greetings. I follow you for a long time in the forum even before registering. It’s a pleasure.

Eduardo Lucas
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you for your kindness! I mean like, it may sound quite crazy to do what i did with my laptop. BUT i really fear for its longevity. It’s an entry level Lenovo, so it may not have great internals and stuff, and reducing power and heat to tablet levels may help things out, including the battery which i mostly use as an alternative when i can’t plug it. So i thought about reducing power, as i said in the screenshot post, i really need to take care of my power bill, and i like to run the screen in maximum brightness as it’s not a great LCD panel. Surprised things work so great with RAM and system on chip running at 200-400mhz average. AntiX is so well architecturally thought and engineered. Quite comparable to what we learn as examples of quality software in university.

I really think swap isn’t necessary. It’s quite crazy windows land is unanimous about “you need swap” and even win10 stops you from disabling it. AntiX provides me the possibility of not caring about it at all. I also use suspend because i was never quite a fan of hibernation, ever since HDD-only era. I must say i also LOVE persistent AntiX live usb. I used it almost exclusively after my old laptop HDD died. It was definitely as you said, so fast and so efficient.

I really agree overall. Nice to talk with you again.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Eduardo Lucas.
    Eduardo Lucas
    Helpful
    Up

Olá, Marcelo. Não tenho certeza se posso me comunicar em portugues com voce aqui, mas vou deixar a postagem em ingles abaixo, como você faz. Muito obrigado por reconhecer meu esforço, aprendi ingles sozinho graças a internet e ao PC. tenho 25 anos.

(to our international friends: sorry for using portuguese-only here and for triple posting, i’m not really posting 3 times in a row purposefully, but because i’m noticing some incompatibilities with pale moon, likely with wordpress. I will translator-parse the below text in english after i write it in my native language)

Estou acompanhando você há algum tempo por aqui. Estou bastante impressionado com seu trabalho e esforço pelos nossos irmãos, estamos com muitas dificuldades e em um momento tão dificil, só quem vive como vivemos aqui sabe como as coisas estão por completo. São tempos muito dificeis, e, tenho de admitir, essa questão de acessibilidade da computação a todos também me preocupa profundamente. Vejo a superdependência das pessoas em smartphones como muito problemática, pois são dispositivos de entretenimento. E, infelizmente, empresas como a positivo, e os preços que são praticados em nosso país são abusivos e imorais, não só nos produtos eletronicos, acho seu exemplo dos nossos preços de alimentos uma reflexão cara disso, um país onde a produção de alimentos é voltada ao mercado externo, onde pessoas passam fome em ruas e em favelas, periferias, com uma pandemia que levou muitos de nossos irmãos queridos. Espero que não tenha perdido familiares ou amigos. Quase tive a infelicidade.

Penso que seu esforço em lutar pela compatibilidade de hardware tão obscuro e incomum é uma maneira de reforçar esse seu trabalho de tentar trazer oa AntiX e os computadores de volta as pessoas. Acho um esforço muito nobre, eu realmente quero ajudar o quanto possivel, aqui, com nossos irmaos, ou fora. Hoje já indico o antix e software de menor complexidade que um sistema operacional que são de projeto que respeita a diversidade de hardware e de possibilidades financeiras, e que resgaram computadores antigos. Não sei se tambem ve isso, mas muitos grupos de facebook são lotados de garotos, como eu ja fui, sonhando com seus computadores. Tenho amigo que quer um computador mas falta dinheiro. Muitas crianças e adolescentes na internet se contentando com hardware de 15, 16, 17 anos atras, pois é o que eles possuem. O quue empresas como a microsoft e a apple estao fazendo, tentando levar o mercado mundial de computadores pessoais a descartarem suas maquinas e deixarem todos sem suporte, vai exigir um verdadeiro desafio de todos nos, pessoas de um pais tao pobre, a lutar pelo software livre e pela comunidade de computadores que nao depende das grandes corporacoes. Muitos jovens dependem de computadores para estudarem, muitos talentos e superdotados so atingiram uma condicao de mudarem de vida pela internet, por conta da dificuldade da nossa educação. E smartphones nao possibilitam que ela seja usufruida por completo e com um ambiente propicio ao estudo.

Precisamos de pessoas como voce, eu, outros, que, no seu caso, trabalham e lutam por isso. E precisamos de pessoas que entendem a importancia disso (eu sou uma delas, mas imagino quantos irmaos brasileiros tambem estao no forum). Com sinceridade: Obrigado por lutar pelos desassistidos digitais, pelos que nao foram incluidos no século XXI, na era digital e na era da web 3.0.

Hello Marcelo. I’m not sure if I can communicate in Portuguese with you here, but I’ll leave the post in English down by the translator, as you do, because it would be laborious to translate into English word by word. Thank you so much for recognizing my effort, I learned English alone thanks to the Internet and the PC. I’m 25 years old.

(For Our International Friends: Sorry for Using English-Only Here and For Triple Posting, I’m Not Really Posting 3 Times in A Row Purposefully, But Because I’m Noticing Some Incompatibilities With Pale Moon, Liky With WordPress. I Will Translator -perse the below text in English after i write it in my native language)

I’m following you for some time here. I am quite impressed by your work and effort for our brothers, we have many difficulties and in such a difficult time, only those who live as we live here knows how things are completely. It’s very difficult times, and I have to admit, this issue of computing accessibility to everyone also worries me deeply. I see the overdependence of people in smartphones as very problematic, as they are entertainment devices. And, unfortunately, companies like positive, and prices that are practiced in our country are abusive and immoral, not only in electronic products, I find your example of our food prices a face reflection of this, a country where food production is Aimed at the foreign market, where people are hungry in streets and favelas, peripheries, with a pandemic that has led many of our dear brothers. I hope you have not lost family or friends. I almost had unhappiness.

I think your effort to fight for so obscure and unusual hardware compatibility is a way to reinforce your work from trying to bring OA Antix and computers back to people. I find a very noble effort, I really want to help how much, here, with our brothers, or outside. Today I already indicate the antix and software of less complexity than an operating system that are project that respects the diversity of hardware and financial possibilities, and that they rescued old computers. I do not know if you also see this, but many facebook groups are packed with boys, as I have already been, dreaming of their computers. I have a friend who wants a computer but lack money. Many children and adolescents on the internet being contented with Hardware of 15, 16, 17 years ago, for it is what they have. The Quue companies like Microsoft and Apple are doing, trying to take the worldwide market for personal computers to discard their machines and leave everyone without support, will require a true challenge of all, people of a poor country, to fight for the software Free and by the computer community that does not depend on large corporations. Many young people depend on computers to study, many talents and superdotado only have reached a condition of changing their lives on the Internet because of the difficulty of our education. And smartphones do not allow it to be fully enjoyed and with an environment conducive to the study.

We need people like you, me, others, who, in your case, work and struggle for it. And we need people who understand the importance of it (I am one of them, but I imagine how many Brazilian brothers are also in the forum). With sincerity: Thank you for fighting for the disagrafted digital, by those who were not included in the 21st century, in the digital age and the era of Web 3.0.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Eduardo, welcome to the forum.
    not using swap makes sense with SSD, most ssd seem to last pretty well in my experience.
    The soldered to the board EMMC in many devices is another story, a bad one due difficult to replace.
    It is very owner unfriendly.

I mostly run antiX from a USB stick, just save files to a second one, USB 2 and 3 ports allow
    fast boot. That works fine on systems with dead HDD or where BIOS allows without even fitting a disk.

Only thing I like about microsoft is that i am sometimes able to get computers for free, install
    linux and either use myself for a while to ensure ok, then where possible donate to others.
    Rotten fruit like the stuff apple sells as lifestyle product I find very unattractive. No buy for me.
    Only thing I must credit that company for, the update policy for phones is way ahead of that for most
    android devices. About 5 years of updates including OS.

And after much distro hopping and testing I think antiX is the best of the best.

I wish there was a sane way to get decent working Hardware to Brazil or other 3rd world countrys, now with
    covid limiting travel the situation is worse than a couple of years ago when travellers could bring devices
    like laptops or raspi to donate.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by ModdIt.
    seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome to antiX Eduardo. We’re glad you’re here and that you have found antiX to be helpful for your computing needs. I hope I can be helpful in keeping old equipment alive and useful. I know this forum has helped me a lot and I’m sure you will find the same.

Seaken64

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Greetings. I follow you for a long time in the forum even before registering. It’s a pleasure.

Your words confirm my suspicion, I believe that many people use this forum as a source of consultation and technical support, even without having the registration.

it may sound quite crazy to do what i did with my laptop.

What you are doing is not crazy at all! This sounds like reverse engineering, the product was made to give problems and you create conditions for the product to last much longer in operation than it was originally designed. AntiX itself already does this natively, unfortunately I couldn’t find the words in full from anticapitalista, where the creator says that the intention is always to keep RAM and processing consumption as small as possible, this is exactly what I’ve always wanted in an operating system.

I’m not sure if I can communicate in English with you here,

As for your question, only the forum administrators and moderators can answer it. If someday I am prohibited from posting on this esteemed forum my original Portuguese language text, I will have to license or post only in the Portuguese language area, as I do not trust the machine translations of internet translators. If I build my text in Portuguese with punctuation errors or eventually contain typos or verbal agreement errors or nominal agreement errors, there will certainly be misunderstandings in the translation into English language, as has already occurred in some threads. In another forum, which I prefer not to name, I was forbidden to post my original text in Portuguese language, which made me silent in that forum.

… I do not know if you also see this, but many facebook groups are packed with boys, as I have already been, dreaming of their computers. I have a friend who wants a computer but lack money…

Yes I see this too. You managed to synthesize very well the issue of smartphones that are not contributing to the learning of children, mistakenly some Brazilian adults, believe that smartphones have replaced computers, but using the Android operating system is much more difficult than using antiX, even if Android is much more translated (localized) to pt-BR.

We need people like you, me, others, who, in your case, work and struggle for it. And we need people who understand the importance of it (I am one of them, but I imagine how many Brazilian brothers are also in the forum). With sincerity: Thank you for fighting for the disagrafted digital, by those who were not included in the 21st century, in the digital age and the era of Web 3.0.

That’s right Eduardo Lucas, by uniting people and sharing knowledge we will be able to help each other. With antiX, we can also fight the unnecessary use of pirated (fake) software in Brazil.

You can be sure that we are on the right track and that we can count on the support of the valuable people who frequent this esteemed forum.

———-

As suas palavras confirmam a minha suspeita, eu acredito que muitas pessoas utilizam este fórum como fonte de consulta e suporte técnico, mesmo sem ter o cadastro.

it may sound quite crazy to do what i did with my laptop.

O que você está fazendo não é loucura não! Isso parece ser engenharia reversa, o produto foi feito para dar problema e você cria condições para o produto durar muito mais tempo em funcionamento do que foi originalmente projetado. O próprio antiX já faz isso nativamente, infelizmente eu não consegui encontrar as palavras na íntegra do anticapitalista, onde o criador diz que a intenção é sempre de manter o consumo de memória RAM e processamento o menor possível, isso é exatamente o que eu sempre quis em um sistema operacional.

I’m not sure if I can communicate in Portuguese with you here,

Quando a sua dúvida, somente os administradores e moderadores do fórum poderão responder. Se algum dia eu for proibido de postar neste estimável fórum o meu texto original em idioma Português, eu terei que licenciar ou postar somente na área em idioma Português, pois eu não confio nas traduções automáticas dos tradutores da internet. Se eu construir o meu texto em Português com erros de pontuação ou eventualmente conter erros de digitação ou erros de concordância verbal ou erros de concordância nominal, certamente ocorrerão mal entendidos na tradução para o idioma inglês, como já ocorreu em alguns tópicos. Em outro fórum, que eu prefiro não citar o nome, eu fui proibido de postar o meu texto original em idioma Português, o que me fez silenciar naquele fórum.

… I do not know if you also see this, but many facebook groups are packed with boys, as I have already been, dreaming of their computers. I have a friend who wants a computer but lack money…

Sim eu enxergo isso também. Você conseguiu sinterizar muito bem a questão dos smartphones que não estão contribuindo para o aprendizado das crianças, erroneamente alguns Brasileiros adultos, acreditam que os smartphones substituíram os computadores, mas utilizar o sistema operacional Android é muito mais difícil do que utilizar o antiX, mesmo que o Android esteja muito mais traduzido (localizado) para o pt-BR.

É isso mesmo Eduardo Lucas, unindo as pessoas e compartilhando o conhecimento conseguiremos ajudar uns aos outros. Com o antiX, podemos ainda, combater a desnecessária utilização de programas piratas (falsos) no Brasil.

Pode ter certeza que estamos no caminho certo e que podemos contar com o suporte das valorosas pessoas que frequentam este estimável fórum.

marcelocripe

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Personally, I do not find it at all distracting to see the original Portuguese. I just scroll through to the English and it works out fine. The only thing I can suggest is some sort of demarcation to indicate the change over. Eduardo and Marcello already do this. Something like “Here is Portuguese, scroll down for English translation:” and then “Here is English:”.

I agree with Marcello when he said this is a very inclusive forum. I appreciate that we can all communicate with whatever language we know.

Seaken64

ile
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Eduardo Lucas
    to share of languages
    pointing at a package for antiX.
    http://translationproject.org/domain/klavaro.html
    klavaro3.03 is klavaro3.11 in the [soon stable] Next antiX.
    dos exercícios pt_BR.
    package is in repository
    <klavaro>

Eduardo Lucas
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Seaken. Nice to know you and thanks for your warm greetings.

I really benefit right now by how slim, low-demanding and feature rich at the same time AntiX is. My machine is heavily restricted in power terms and may be compared to many Pentium 4 or Pentium D machines from people here, leaving aside its discrete gpu. Low RAM (at least to my needs when i considered other linux distros and windows) is also a nuisance. So i also think most people who benefit from the Operating System because of their older equipment. I saw someone here speaking of how a pentium II machine booted into AntiX and was absolutely impressed. People running Pentium III machines and being able to run youtube and usual daily work from them. I think AntiX fills a role other systems don’t, at least not nearly as feature rich and with good support to software.

I wanted to try FreeBSD and BSD distributions, but they do not support enough wireless drivers yet and are too high on resource-usage compared to AntiX. I would like to have them or maybe Illumnos or even a google-free (if that is really possible) fuchsia in a talos IBM power9 or 10 desktop (if i have the money in the future for one) or in another RISC-based computer with lots of RAM and high multi-core performance, but not into a restricted entry-level lenovo laptop from 2019. I like how slim and performant Void Linux is, but it seems to lack some important lower-level system features (i may be wrong but that is my current impression), and it doesn’t look adequate enough for desktop, let alone laptop use. I really like windows because everything works, but it’s increasingly a mess (not that it wasn’t since its early days when microsoft compromised its original architectural design for market needs and hacked every feature inside it with no actual intention of quality), and windows 11 looks like something that isn’t microsoft windows at all, but an Macintosh nightmare. AntiX was simply the perfect solution, because IT IS MADE FOR DESKTOP USE. Anyone who tries to say otherwise (i saw a website guide saying it is for misanthropes, while i found that funny, it may be deriding and offensive, let alone not real, as its UI and general user software looks and feels tested and reminiscent from nineties conventions that worked for everyone) is not really aware of what a desktop operating system must be.

I do agree that other languages are not an issue if they are adequately followed by a english text and if they warn the earlier blocks of text will be in the native language of the user. I think it helps a lot in bringing people to connect to eachother and that it opens the forum to people like Marcelo, who absolutely benefit from the advance of translators. I see how he praises the forum for being open, differently from many free software communities where people are profoundly against certain needs and sometimes even of an elitistic attitude. So, i must say i really like what i see here! It makes me happy to see a community, even if small as some have remarked, who values bringing people into their ranks and actually offering help and the real sense of a community. If we want free, feature rich, low resource intensive systems like AntiX (I’m really thinking if i will ever drop it if i ever get a very fast computer again, as i get more and more happy of how powerful anti it is while not using too much of hardware), we need this community thriving to actually be able to survive the test of times.

The computer industry is changing to a path which i sincerely fear and wonder if we are not going to IBM times again, at risk of being trapped in expensive terminals which will not be by any way or possibility accessible or even where you will have any actual possibility of using simple software without paying a monthly contract for all of them, a nightmare and a dystopia which would destroy the accessibility of computers to poor people and poorer countries. We need to be along. The future may prove the existence of older hardware and the possibility of exploring it with wise operating systems and software choice important as it never was. Freedom is also an concern, and our own safety as people in the future. I can expand on this but i think it’s too early and it would get too political, which i think is not a good idea as i’m arriving here right now.

Thank you for this exchange! I hope to help as i can as a newbie and as a user who is only arriving in AntiX land.

Eduardo Lucas
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Marcelo! I will be writing to most here right now before morning comes first, as it will take even more time to answer all your remarks But i will keep this here and edit it in afternoon time here in sao paulo while adding my remarks about your points. I think it will be complete by the late afternoon. Thanks!

Eduardo Lucas
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Ile!

I’m reading your linked page about Klavaro as of now. I think i can contribute to its translations checking for issues in messages or other elements. I’m not fully aware of all details as it’s quite late here in brazil and time is almost up to rest, but i will be looking into all details tomorrow. Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.