Hello, Linux. Whats your agenda?

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello, Linux. Whats your agenda?

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 10-6:20 pm by Anonymous.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Howdy,

I am using antix on a P4 2.3Ghz with 256MB of DODGE RAM and a lousy intel onboard i8 based video assist chip.

I am capable of running chromium, but prefer midori for less CPU cycles, although it doesn’t render all webpages very well.

I also created a screen recording to demo the OS running SMTube, mpsyt, midori and some other stuff.

I use it as a full time OS on this old lousy computer. It is the main and only computer in my office/studio.

I am working on getting Kodi running in it because I enjoy streaming movies and TV shows, but the web browser life consumes far too many resources.

I have Kodi installed but videos are not rendered, I will create a thread for that.

It sucks that I have to use gravatar for an avatar here. WordPress login doesn’t function properly in Midori, so I will just include it in my post.

Look forward to meeting you all.

fatmac

Welcome aboard. 🙂

Always nice to hear about old machines being given new life.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999
        Ultra Small Form Factor & thin client computers

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

Yep. Thinking outside of the box is required on being comfy cozy cruising the internet and being a computer user in todays modern internet full of flotsam and jetsam.
          Multiply the difficulty x 10 when using older hardware.
          Grinning as I read KODi on your specs.

Maybe Miro is more up your hardware specs. But I doubt it.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=miro

Looks like wheezy is the latest release to still supply miro. Oh well.

http://www.getmiro.com/download/all/

miro

As far as avatars go. You will notice fatmac and I uploaded ours after we figured it out ourselves on how this new forum works.
          No worries though. You will figure it out as you go. Baby steps.

When running . Learn to use Htop in your menu and watch your computer go nuts trying to live up to your expectations. Use like desktop 2.

Howdy and Welcome.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
          I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
          Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
          How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
          rokytnji

I forgot. A
            inxi -Fxz

Is always nice to include in these threads.
            It gives members details on what your computer is.

Forum Admin
            rokytnji

My turn to have some fun this morning.

Hello, Linux. Whats your agenda?

Tagged: america sucks, antifa, antifa sucks too, capitalism sucks, communism, homosexual agenda, i love satan, vegan agenda

Well. The agenda is to try to meet your expectations as well as possible with the gear you are bringing to the table. How ever. One can not get 100 HP out of a Vespa. Not without a hardware change. No matter how much you play with the ignition and carb.

Brian Masinick

Howdy,

I am using antix on a P4 2.3Ghz with 256MB of DODGE RAM and a lousy intel onboard i8 based video assist chip.

I am capable of running chromium, but prefer midori for less CPU cycles, although it doesn’t render all webpages very well.

I also created a screen recording to demo the OS running SMTube, mpsyt, midori and some other stuff.

I use it as a full time OS on this old lousy computer. It is the main and only computer in my office/studio.

I am working on getting Kodi running in it because I enjoy streaming movies and TV shows, but the web browser life consumes far too many resources.

I have Kodi installed but videos are not rendered, I will create a thread for that.

It sucks that I have to use gravatar for an avatar here. WordPress login doesn’t function properly in Midori, so I will just include it in my post.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Welcome to the forum and the community. Glad you are getting started; I hope we can help you sort through the issues as they occur, and perhaps your observations will help us figure out some things that may deserve and merit more of our attention.

Oh yeah, you helped me remember *yet another* of the many Web browsers that I use from time to time – Midori. Arora is another one, but I have not used it at all recently,

--
                Brian Masinick

Anonymous

Antix is doing better than one of the other micro distros I was using last. Let’s see, I never liked puppy, and DSL is nice until you need to start putting it together to function.

I was actually able to use Vokoscreen to do a live screen recording of the OS where I multi tasked between running SMTube, Midori, mps-youtube and the paint program. The recording did’t drop any frames, save for when I recorded full screen youtube video. That said, the full screen video does not drop frame live for me the user. The apps built into it are actually really great, I wish windows had as many media streaming alternatives, because even on a modern system, I still dislike using browsers as much as possible. Say for instance on youtube, between the ads, the back and forth arguing in comments, and of course the suggested video content that is always banal, mundane, and just typically uncreative and boring, I just like to look for what I am interested in and go from there.

I actually wish there was a way to get deeper search results, because what they display for any queries on any subject is just so.. “disney” or “polished,” just generic garbage, and I guess I like to hope that there are more than a few thousand people putting content on youtube, becuase the few thousand that make the search results seem to be the ones just talking about crap, lol

I think that part of my video rendering problem coems down to driver support. The PC will play all video content just fine through the browser or the streaming apps, but something in Kodi isn’t working. One example is that all of the content on youtube says to “disable hardware acceleration” and to use the “lib stage fright” driver,

Well, my version of Kodi doesn’t have a function for software rendering, nor does it offer lib stage fright, of course later I thought I might be able to find stage fright in a different repository, but haven’t yet tried it. I suppose I could just search the repo on a browser before tweaking a repo file and opening up synaptic.

I actually really do like this system though. I downloaded a NES and Atari emulator, so I am looking forward to seeing what kind of lag I can get out of those, lol… I remember Nesticle in the 90s used to work great on stock Pentium computers, but I don’t know if it ever had a linux port. I installed Ardour 5, which I am really excited to try out for podcasting or guitar recording on this low spec omnster, but as of yet, it reports that the microphone has bad wiring. So, I dont know if the plug at the motherboard is rusted, or if it’s a glitch, or what. I do have an old Razer USB headset that works out of the box with this system, so I will probably play with Ardour that way to see how it handles a few minutes of straight recorded voice. Sing the ABC’s a few times or something silly. 🙂

Anonymous

So, here’s a little update about my XBMC endeavors,

So, over at the official forums, they of course shot me down telling me that Kodi can only run on OpenGL 2.0 or later (because official forums usually always suck), but in Kodi’s official hardware requirements it lists that it can run on OGL as low as 1.3, which incidentally, is exactly what I have in this old machine.

So, now I have been looking around for an older version to use, and that part isn’t going very well. I found a forum thread in Puppy about running v12/Frodo, but finding a .deb of it is impossible, I was able to find a tar.xz which has the file structure of it laid out, I presume it to be a working image, but I don’t know how to try it out…

In the puppy thread, they talked about needing a Squash FS file, which I was able to track down, but I can’t tell how to set anything up to test it out.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86263

give a holler if you’re bored.

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

Well. My experience back when I was using Puppy a lot was that .sfs files are only squash files.
                      Which can be extracted in Puppy and you can poke and hope through the contents.

They use a squash file for big stuff because of puppy linux specific file location which is different than any other distro. Like the home section in Puppy is way different than antix home section.

So extract the .sfs file. Poke around the extracted contents with a stick. See if maybe a .deb is in there. Precise is based on Ubuntu precise. I am not hip on what version name it is at the present time.

Anonymous

Hello Chris,

I’m also new here, although not new to Linux, or for the ones who prefer it, GNU/Linux. I’ve also been running AntiX as a Kodi media server, which is it’s purpose on this old laptop about 60% of the time when hooked up to a VGA port on an old telly. Recently I buggered up my lovely curated Antix 17 hd install – more on that in another thread.
                        In my quest to keep up with the latest episodes of FTWD, and not having a spare thumb drive to put my custom AntiX backup on, I discovered Puppy Xenial has a kodi.sfs module which can be loaded. Even better, copying the kodi personal folder from the home directory in Antix preserved and copied over all the addons and settings no problem. So it’s a drop-in replacement with little fuss at the moment, except that it seems to use a lot of power on this machine when in memory and the battery lasts about 1/5th of the length it lasts in AntiX and previous distributions.
                        If that isn’t a problem for you this is actually a pretty quick and painless solution for a media server if all you want is a base to run Kodi.

Best, Barnaby

Anonymous

Hows it going, fellas?

I never extracted the SquashFS, that whole puppy universe is different, you are totally right Rokytnji. I explored using it a few times off and on, and even their forums operated differently, I thought, if that even makes sense? I dont know, they do have their own system developed, which in itself is interesting, but cant make heads from tales of it.

Barnaby, awesome to hear that you are using kodi on your system. How old is the system? I’ll bet it’s not a a P4? lol

” I discovered Puppy Xenial has a kodi.sfs module which can be loaded. Even better, copying the kodi personal folder from the home directory in Antix preserved and copied over all the addons and settings no problem”

Are you suggesting that simply copying some folders from the SFS into your own Antix system was all that you needed to do to get a base kodi running? I am really interested in knowing more about this, so if you can explain it any further, that is to say if it is *not* just dragging and dropping a folder, I would really appreciate that and I would probably even make a youtube video about it.

It’s getting harder and harder to find hacker ways like that online anymore, even youtube is just so modernized. We are utilitarians!

On FTWD: I WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THE SUDDEN DEATH OF Nick, and I wonder if the mother is already dead. This weeks episode looks liek a Gimple-style snoozer, looks like its going to tell the story of the gun slinger and the woman he loved. and not much more. I swear, if they jump the shark on this show, I’m done with AMC, lol I mean, I already hate TV, but it would be kinda nice to find at least one thing thats stable.

Anonymous

No, it’s a Core2Duo. I was actually referring to personal settings being moved between Kodi installs, but in my case from AntiX TO Puppy. Not really applicable to your situation, sorry.

That with Nick came every unexpected for me – gutted. I swear FTWD and TWD have a hidden feminist agenda, they’re killing of all the males, most of all the young, promising ones that could carry the story forward for many years to come. Maybe they’re preparing an exit for the show already.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.