Hello & Thank you + bug

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello & Thank you + bug

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 23-2:10 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ali z

Hi, I’m Ali.

Thank you, to everyone developed antiX; antiX is the only distro that basically works, and just works very well on my 2005 machine.
    The machine was simply dead and I was about to throw it, until I asked here and there if there is a distro that can bring this machine back to work; and I got pointed to antiX which I never heard of.

My main workstation is Debian, Debian is the only distro that I use and never really tried any other distro, so I’m very glad that antiX chose Debian as their base distro; because I know Debian very well and I know where to find things on my system.

At first I downloaded the latest antiX version, which is 21. I tried it as Live and it was great; however, I also tried version 19.4 Live and I found it better in my case, in addition version 19.4 includes more tools than the latest version. (iirc about 5 tools included in 19.4 that I couldn’t find on 21, so I installed version 19.4)

So I just want to say I’m a new fan of antiX, I love it, its based on Debian so I can feel in home, and of course systemd free which is easier to manage when something goes wrong and last but not least it includes bunch of tools that I can really use for my old hardware; though I’m sure more tools for old hardware can be added too.

bug
    Last thing I want to say, I tried installing it on one of my family member’s laptop too, a 2008/2009 laptop. On that laptop I tried to install version 21, however there is a very small bug that I found.
    It’s nothing serious, it just seem that the kernel isn’t reading the hardware clock nor measuring the clocks per second properly; and that result in fast time stepping which is weird to watch the system clock changes faster than usual.

Seriously, Thank you again for this awesome distro.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

hi ali z, welcome to antiXia
    the system clock changes faster than usual. is the bios battery ok,
    meaning not years old. A failing battery can cause all sort of weird symptoms
    I always change them unless known done recently.
    That is very useful as a corrosion check around the battery holder, if neccesary
    cleaning can prevent serious board damage.
    repairable

Did you try a different kernel.

Please give version of antiX, sysv or runit and hardware info so helpers are not kept guessing.
    inxi -Fxz

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Make sure that the NTP, Network Time Protocol, is enabled, active, and working properly. That will regularly check and adjust clock drift and inaccurate time.

Brian Masinick

ali z
    Helpful
    Up

Sorry for providing no information, I was a bit in rush.

Issue with:
    antiX-21, 64-bit; using old kernel version 4.9.

@ModdIt, yes choosing a different kernel fixes this issue; the newer 5.10 kernel has no issues.
    @Brian Masinick, yes syncing time with online servers seem to work fine; but this requires constant internet connection.

So the issue happens using the old kernel shipped with antiX21, 64-bit, I also tried a different distro just to confirm that the problem isn’t with the laptop.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Regarding a constant connection, yes, the design of NTP does frequently communicate with the configured time servers.

I’ve always been fortunate to have such connectivity. I take it that is a problem in some cases; if so, your clock is not likely to be very accurate unless it’s updated at least a few times during each login. Most computer clocks are not very accurate without a time set it correctly,

Brian Masinick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.