Hello there guys , i think i need some help

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello there guys , i think i need some help

This topic contains 26 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by noClue Mar 16-2:14 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    udaba

Greetings all! I just joined you . I choose antiX for my main laptop . I have to say many congratulations to the team . I have some issues that i need help of. I choose all the default settings from the installer . Im kinda of noob at linux but im good at searching . I have some “issues” that i need aid . 1)How to set the wifi to connect automatically ( i already set to auto-connect ) 2)How i can add more apps at my bottom panel? 3)How i edit the panel ( like the time , power usage , keyboard language etc) 4)Is there any kinda a store? Where i can download or even remove my apps? (is there dangerous to remove some apps? how i can do this?) 5)I downloaded steam , waited to update and now i cant run it .
    Im really sorry if i dazed you .

fatmac
    fatmac

Regarding ‘steam’, if you downloaded it using our/Debian package manager, then ‘sudo apt-get purge steam’ in a terminal should work.

For most other things, take a look in the ‘Control Centre’.

Welcome aboard. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

noClue
    noClue

I’m not sitting at my antiX right now so you get only a partial answer.

1. Open Wicd, make a connection and then check the Wicd settings — there should be an option to let it start automatically.

2. You need to write/add it manually by writing it in a configuration file yourself.

In your home folder, you need to show the ‘hidden files’, go to folder ‘.icewm’ and open a file ‘toolbar’ in some text editor.
    You simply add another line in the same manner like the ones already existing.

prog /PATH/TO/THE/ICON/ICON.PNG COMMAND

Command will be ‘firefox’ to start the Firefox and so on. In most cases, it’ll be the same as the application name.

3. The very first thing you do upon starting to use a new operating system is to go through all menues and see what’s around.

Sometimes, one can find things like ‘Settings’, ‘Configuration’, ‘Control Center’ and such and one doesn’t need to ask the obvious. 😉

4. See 3.

Installing, Store, Package Management … 😉

5. Fine.

Remember to check Steam settings. There’s a surprise inside, but I let you to activate the Proton yourself.

All that said, I don’t mind looking for the better answers or making a screenshot little bit later, when I turn on my antiX, but try with this first.
    Discovering the things in a new OS yourself is the big part of having fun and — you don’t forget so quick what you discovered it yourself. 😉

P.S.
    Welcome aboard.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

udaba

Well really thank you for your answer . Well i think i did it with the 1st part . My wi-fi connect automatically .
    Well for the second on , i manager to add the icon of firefox and terminal . The terminal works fine but firefox cant launch .There is only the icon.
    For the 3rd and 4th , i couldnt manage to edit my panel at all . i even cant find something similar to this :/ IceWM , JWM and Fluxbox settings doesnt seem to do something. For the steam part , still i havent managed to get it launched .. As i say im a totally noob at linux .

noClue
    noClue

As i say im a totally noob at linux.

I suppose, not only linux noob, but you never had any PC or a phone in your hands and next year you’ll start the kindergarten (if they take you).

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Now seriously, have you ever used a computer, can you read and use a web browser (tabs)? 😉

Well, that’s exactly what we get here.

Start/Control Center/TABS (Desktop, System, Network, Shares, Session, Disks, Hardware, Drivers, Maintenance)

We also got Windoze (95 Style) Menu (Control Center!) and subcategories. 😉

Glad you got your WiFi working since, No WiFi == No Linux.

How you can add new applications to your task bar, you can see on the first two screenshots.

1. Open Rox (from the Start Menu)
    2. Hidden files show up
    3. Open ‘.icewm’ folder
    4. Open ‘toolbar’

‘toolbar’ is a normal text file and any text editor will do the trick.

‘prog’ stands for ‘Program’ (== ‘App’)
    First comes the program name (what should show up when you go with mouse cursor over the icon).
    Next comes the path to your icon plus the icon name and extension.
    At the end comes the command that’ll start your ‘App’.
    Empty space between groups.

To add Firefox, you would write:

prog Firefox /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/firefox.png firefox

prog "Firefox ESR" /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/firefox-esr.png /usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr

If one text line starts with “#” at the very beginning, then it’s ‘commented out’ and ‘invisible’ — it’ll not show or execute the program starter.
    With other words, you can add “#” to hide some ‘App’ or remove it to unhide it.

Third screenshot leads you to the ‘App-Store’.

On the fourth, you see the alternative way of accessing the IceWM settings, incl. the ‘toolbar’.

Hope it helps.

antiX is as small and quick because it’s based on simple technologies from before yesterday.

If you add all the assistants and ‘auto-everything’, it’ll become Ubuntu.

P.S.
    You gave me a good laugh with your questions so, sorry for the ironic comments. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

udaba

Thank you for you long answer <3
    I feel kinda awkward cause i cant do simple things as i seems for you 😛
    I also solve the 2nd puzzle with your assist . Still im trying to find somethig usefull at the edit IceWM Settings but i cant find anything related to i think , there are 3 tabs :winoptions,preferences,keys,startup,toolbar and menu .
    also at the Package Installer i cant find all the apps installed on the system . Do i have to edit the lists to see them and in order to install Steam,Discord etc? (as it seems i installed discord and works fine, the error im getting from steam is this : Couldn’t set up Steam data – please contact technical support)

• This reply was modified 3 days, 23 hours ago by udaba.
    • This reply was modified 3 days, 23 hours ago by udaba.
    noClue
    noClue

You listed 5 Tabs (winoptions,preferences,keys,startup,toolbar and menu) and not 3. 😉

Those IceWM settings which you see on the 4th screenshots should open in multiple tabs in Geany.
    On the 2nd screenshot, you can see which one you need to edit for the ‘toolbar‘.

You asked for the “App-Store” and that’s what you get.
    For more packages, you can use the button above.
    (Manage Packages == Synaptic)

udaba

oh i see , i have never used similar “store” . really thank you. Also at the boot up i have to boot to GNU GRUB every time?is there an option to boot auto to my system?

i managed to do it . i found the maunals 😀 so i get it 😀
    how about steam thought? tried a lot of things.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 21 hours ago by udaba.
    caprea
    caprea

How did you install steam ?
    Maybe trying to install steam again went wrong or something like that.
    You could try to remove your hidden .steam-folder in home with
    cd ~
    rm -rf .steam

It will be newly created by opening steam afterwards.

udaba

well tried this ^ reached the part that i got this error : You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
    libstdc++.so.6

and now the steam wont even start or crash .

getting this error : udaba@udaba:~
    $ rm -rf .steam
    udaba@udaba:~
    $ steam
    Repairing installation, linking /home/udaba/.steam/steam to /home/udaba/.local/share/Steam
    Failed to parse arguments: Option “–disable-factory” is no longer supported in this version of gnome-terminal.
    Package libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 needs to be installed
    Running Steam on antix 17.4 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Pins up-to-date!
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1550534751)
    libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
    libGL error: driver pointer missing
    libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
    libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

after the : –disable-factory i got this : steam –disable-factory
    Failed to parse arguments: Option “–disable-factory” is no longer supported in this version of gnome-terminal.
    Package libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 needs to be installed
    Pins up-to-date!
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1550534751)
    libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

• This reply was modified 3 days, 18 hours ago by udaba.
    • This reply was modified 3 days, 18 hours ago by udaba.
    caprea
    caprea

It looks like libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 is missing.
    You could try to install it

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386

But not sure if this will be the only problem.
    The best way to install steam on antiX is with the package-installer (not synaptic)from control-center.

udaba

It looks like libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 is missing.

i have tried a variety of ways . sudo apt install steam , sudo apt install steam:i386 also i tried to install gdebi package using the installer and the .deb file i downloaded form steam .

• This reply was modified 3 days, 17 hours ago by udaba.
    caprea
    caprea

Does installing libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 help ?

I guess something’s gotten mixed up while doing different installations, See post above.

udaba

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386

this works! but i cant boot install . no ui appears . when i try to boot steam from terminal i get this
    udaba@udaba:~
    $ steam
    Pins up-to-date!

caprea
    caprea

Try removing again the hidden steam folder in home.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.