Hello World – using Antix Live-USB on my company laptop

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Hello World – using Antix Live-USB on my company laptop

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Oct 27-10:11 am by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Good morning all,

I dabbled in Linux 25 years ago, but it’s probably simpler to consider me a newbie.

I have a 2 week vacation for which I had to take my company laptop. I decided to see if I could configure Antix on a Live-USB to have 2 computers in one (ie: boot on HDD brings me to my company Win10 environment, boot on USB get me my own personal files and all environment on Antix).

I’m not there yet so I’ ll post a few of my problems. Let’s see how it works out. Wish me luck 🙂

In any case, many thanks to all those who contributed to Antix and help on this forum.

I tried that a couple years ago and the only problem if I remember right was that I had to shut windows down, ie not hibernate, to boot the antiX USB.

Good morning all,

I have a 2 week vacation for which I had to take my company laptop. I decided to see if I could configure Antix on a Live-USB to have 2 computers in one (ie: boot on HDD brings me to my company Win10 environment, boot on USB get me my own personal files and all environment on Antix).

I’m not there yet so I’ ll post a few of my problems. Let’s see how it works out.

Well, what happened? Microsoft engineers have hijacked BIOS or UEFI start-up interrupt keys and thus prohibit anyone from getting into BIOS to change the default boot device order.

For UEFI people, i.e., those with desktops / laptops after maybe 2013, there is a well-known work around to get into the UEFI start-up menu. BIOS people are hosed.

I suppose that maybe a work around would be to change the MBR of the HDD while in Windows and add a bootloader. Maybe Win 10 security prohibits that. Maybe not. Likely though, you can not do that on your firm’s laptop as the firm has property in it and you do not.

Yet unless one can gain control of one’s machine and inhibit Windows from controlling the boot process, one is sunk.

That is a good reason why Windows 10 is coming off all of my machines, that and general surveillance. Microsoft has turned Windows into corporate malware / spyware.

It depends on whether you have access to the BIOS. In my case, I am the boss and the IT dept. So I have full access – and I am careful. But if your IT dept does not allow BIOS access to you it will be near impossible to boot anything other than what the IT dept allows you to boot.

If you have BIOS access you can turn on the features that allow booting from USB.

You may be able to run Virtual Machine software and “install” to a virtual machine from an .iso. I use Virtualbox for this. But again, you have to be permitted to run the software. You can keep your personal data on the USB even while the OS is on a VM.

Good luck, and have fun with antiX!

Seaken64

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

A few years ago I had a work laptop that only allowed a cd boot (I couldn’t get into the bios to boot from usb).
    However, I was able to use the antiX live cd to boot and run the live antiX usb stick and also boot and run a frugal install on an external usb hard drive.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by anticapitalista.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

It is not a question of one having access to BIOS. Microsoft with their Windows 10 have hijacked access to BIOS, literally.

Win 10 denies access to BIOS and UEFI. It stops any keyboard interrupt attempts. It even hijacks manufacturers’ splash screens. Only those whose computers came set-up with boot from USB before an MS install might be lucky enough to boot from a stick once Win 10 is installed.

One way to get back to BIOS on an older machine is to have the Win 10 install become corrupted so it fails to boot into Win 10.

So what were the results of your experiment?

This works on machines with UEFI firmware ( How to Fix can’t Enter BIOS in Windows 10 ) but does not work with computers with BIOS firmware. There are 100s of articles like the linked one on the Web.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by JohnGritt.

This idea of locking out a user from easy access to the BIOS is not new or unique to Windows 10. This is a security feature that has been around for a long time on many computers. Businesses love the idea of restricting the user to use only what the company wants them to use. It’s an IT nightmare to allow everyone to do whatever they want with the company equipment.

But, if a company trusts the user they can give full access to all features of the computer. When the OS and hardware is setup the IT dept decides how “open” the equipment will be. If they want to have an open system they know that ahead of time and they don’t purchase equipment that cannot be setup easily by the IT dept to act the way they want it to.

To suggest that Windows 10 is bad because you can’t easily get into the BIOS is simply a false argument. There is no big conspiracy to keep users from using their equipment. Know what you are buying and you will be fine. If you are handed a piece of equipment by an IT Dept you can expect to have limited use.

Seaken64

This idea of locking out a user from easy access to the BIOS is not new or unique to Windows 10. This is a security feature that has been around for a long time on many computers.

That is what you say. In 35 years of PC computing, this is the first I’ve heard of it.

To suggest that Windows 10 is bad because you can’t easily get into the BIOS is simply a false argument.

That is your belief merely, dude. If you can not use your own stuff unfettered, you do not own it, in truth.

Good luck!

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Cool beans I guess since Aug 11 .

Howdy and Welcome.Good luck.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

@JohnGritt,

sorry that I seemed to be picking a fight. I only objected to what I sensed as a tone of conspiracy. Certainly, we are all allowed to formulate our own opinions. I’m only expressing what I have experienced over the years using business oriented computer systems. It is not unusual for corporations to “fetter” your use of the “Personal” computer in front of you. Not only that but it is a matter of perspective. It may seem unfair to you to restrict your free use “unfettered”. But not everyone will agree. Have you used an old MAC? current Apple equipment? Chrome, Android phone from Verizon or AT&T?

I remember finding out the original IBM PC came with encryption on the floppy disk. And you couldn’t add a hard drive unless you added an hacked chip. The early PS3 could be hacked to run a Linux until Sony figured out how to brick it if you tried it.

All I am trying to communicate is that Windows is not inherently evil because they make it easier for the corporation to lock down then the user to bypass it. It has been standard practice in business since, well, forever.

It also is not difficult to defeat the default behavior of Windows. In most cases, if not all, you can still use your Personal Computer in whatever way you want, including putting FOS software on it and deleting Windows if you want.

Seaken64

@yag,

did you find success? Were you able to use the company laptop to run antiX?

Seaken64

@yag,

did you find success? Were you able to use the company laptop to run antiX?

Seaken64

Thanks for asking.

I have had some success – in particular installing an Evernote client. Persistence worked well.

I am back at work now so I left this project aside for now, but I have a long list of things to figure out or improve for my next time off.
    – Biggest hassle was around the wifi. I used the laptop on the road, connecting on public/guests networks, often with captive/login page. WICD was not always smooth sailing.
    – Second biggest concern was speed. The laptop is quite good, recent icore with 16GB ram, so I don’t think it’s hardware related. I wondered why my key booted Antix in 32 bits while I’m sure I downloaded a 64b version of Antix.

WICD was not always smooth sailing.

Hi, try antiX 19 full, it uses connman to manage internet connections- very easy to configure any wi-fi network, at least according to my experience (alsmo it’s more main stream, Ms Windows like, fully GUI application)…

About your second problem- even on my 10 years old atom netbook with 1 gig of ram, runing from a usb pen drive antiX 64 bits works about as well as the installed version- many times even faster, thanks to the crappy HD my netbook has… I’m almost 100% sure that if you have the 64 bits antiX version there’s no way you are running the 32bits version- you have to install lots of dependencies to even be able to run 32 bits only software on 64bits Linux!
    You can estimate your speed from my examples: usb 64 bits boot time: about 1 minute, since grub screen to the OS finished loading. Starting firefox: about 10 seconds, starting LibreOffice Writer- 3 to 5 seconds, AppSelect- about 5 seconds… Most other applications open almost instantly. Suspend/resume happens almost instantly

P.

masinickmasinick

PPC, the stats you report are good. I have a Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop and I multi-boot several distributions.

My start-up times and overall performance do not reach or match your observations and I attribute it to the age of my system, probable disk fragmentation and overhead from the number of partitions and file systems. At least I have several systems to evaluate and use. antiX and MX Linux work well for me.

Brian Masinick

I had one laptop where I always had poor connections on the WiFi. I always turned it off and used a dongle for better results. Sometimes the hardware used in some of these machines is just very poor.

I don’t think you can boot into 32-bit unless you have the 32-bit version. Make sure your download has x64 in the filename if you want the 64-bit version. 32-bit will be named 386.

I hope you’ll come back and keep us updated on your progress once you get back to this project.

Seaken64

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.